Author Topic: Is it worth Re-Testing?  (Read 6522 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Is it worth Re-Testing?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »
If they were initially tested FIV+ and were under 5 months old at the time, I would most certainly have them tested again.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 21:33:30 PM »
Thanks for your opinions guys, will remember this if we decide to move! :Flowers:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 21:32:21 PM »
I would also get them retested and have it sent off to Glasgow.  As you say, it's not going to make any difference but as others have said, it will give you peace of mind and less worry when they are ill if it comes back negative  :hug:

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 21:29:31 PM »
To answer your question Clare, yes they are Vaccinated each year (have also been really lucky, they have NEVER had fleas! touch wood)

I think if the time comes to move, then I will get them re tested just as peace of mind, so it can be taken off the vets records!! :Luv2:

Add Glitter to Pictures

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 18:07:44 PM »
Hi Mojo!

I think I would have them retested if I was in your situation, with them being so young when they were first tested, then you'll have peace of mind once and for all.

So lucky for them the result won't change anything (in terms of having a home I mean)

Keep us posted

x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 18:02:49 PM »
I would, if they dont have it then your insurance will cover more  ;D and then you wont worry everytime they get ill if its FIV related

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 13:47:42 PM »
Hiya, I had this with Max a few years ago as a locum vet said he looked so well, were we sure he was actually FIV+.

Although Max was done with an in-house test, they did in fact do 2 or 3 over the 3 month period he was with the rescue, so I didn't ask for a further test to be done and sent to Glasgow.  He will always be an indoor boy anyway, and to me I guess it makes no difference whether he's FIV or not.

I can't recall whether you vaccinate your two Mojo?   If you did let them out into an enclosed garden, you would need to look into this for airborne viruses etc. 

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
Is it worth Re-Testing?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
As some of you may know, Mango & Chutney were given a home by myself under the impression that they were both FIV+ and were to be indoor kitties.

My suspicions are that when they were originally tested (in house I believe), they only showed as positive due to antibodies from the mums milk. They have not showed any signs of illness (not that they might, they are approaching two now) and my OH is getting itchy feet and possibly wanting to move house.
We may be looking to move to a property with a garden, which I would want to keep enclosed as the girls have not been outside before and are not road safe etc. If we do move, should I get them re-tested? Even if they are negative, I would still keep them enclosed for their own safety. The only things that I can think of that would change are insurance info, Vet records etc.

Should I bother re-testing them or would it make any difference (as they would not really be treated any differently?) What are your opinions guys?  :shy:

Add Glitter to Pictures

Link to CatChat