Author Topic: Merlin  (Read 14422 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Merlin
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 16:58:24 PM »

Hi Paree,
When Issey had it she was a very poorly kitten, she didnt just have Calici she had other probelms aswell (and a tumour in the throat) so i was injecting her daily with Antibiotics.

Lala had it last year, she had the shifting joint pains and quiet bad ulcers but just had a course of antibiotics. She was better in no time at all.

Once they have had Calici they become carriers and it is brought on by stress or being rundown but as i have said neither Issey or Lala have had it again. (and Issey has been through Major Surgery Twice,  pregnancy, giving birth and having Mastitus)

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »
Hi Michelle
What treatment did yous have for the Calici Virus? and what was the most successful?

:thanks: A big thanks to everyone for their support, we are just so glad it was negative. :thanks:
A cat is for life

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 18:04:08 PM »
 :Party 3: :Party 3: :Party 3:

BRILLIANT NEWS !!!!!

Good luck for the Calici one -
even if possitive nothing much to worry about, 2 of mine have had it and never had it return

Michelle xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 16:05:49 PM »
great news  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 20:24:11 PM »
I am pleased he is negative, but sad that you had to go through the worry of him being positive purely because of being one of the 7% where the in house test was wrong - i wish they were stopped completely - not everyone would have had it confirmed and some rescues would rely on the one test.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 18:38:10 PM »
 :yesss: :yesss: :yesss: What great news he is NOT FIV.  Why do vets bother doing these in-house tests I wonder.  There must be so many people that have these tests and get told there babies are positive when in reality they aren't.

Anway I bet you are so relieved.

Big hugs to you and Merlin :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 14:40:28 PM »
Fantastic News the test was negative  ;D

As for Royal Mail, nothing surprises me ....

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 13:25:24 PM »
 :wow: Great news!  ;D just got off the phone to the vets, Merlins FIV test has come back negative from Glasgow, but unfortunately the Calici swab that was sent to Glasgow 3 weeks ago appears to have been lost in the post, so it's back to the vet tomorrows for another go, hopefully Royal Mail will look after this one :evillaugh:
A cat is for life

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 14:49:53 PM »
Good news  ;D  Max was happy to assist!

ccmacey

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 14:00:05 PM »
That's great hope everyone stay's well from now on. :)

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 13:16:11 PM »
Thanks everyone, the head butts from Max have work he is so much better today he is all most back to him self, the other cats better look out ;D
A cat is for life

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
Aw, sorry he's poorly at the moment, Max sends some healing headbutts Merlin's way xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 08:05:39 AM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 22:06:15 PM »
oh dear sorry to hear Merlin is poorly. Sending a big  :hug: and lots of positive vibes for a speedy recovery.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 21:44:39 PM »
Merlin has not been too well today, his glands were up and he was coughing again, I had a vet appointment booked for his FIV test to be sent up to Glasgow, Kat our vet (good name for a vet) said he has got upper respitory problems again so she gave him another antibiotic injection. Still no news on the other Calici virus test we had done two weeks ago, she said we should get the result back by next Wednesday from the FIV test and the Calici one very soon.
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 16:38:27 PM »
I am glad that M is negative, and fingers crossed for Merlin. The last studies done showed a 1-2% chance of transmission, but also that not all the FIV+ cats died from FIV related illnesses, so I personally would have FIV+ and - together - one of the people from CC (not seen her on here) has a cat in double figures with FIV and also fosters, and has had no issues.
CC - sadly, a lot of people still think that cats should be automatically pts with either, and a lot of rescues wont home with other cats, but I think both attitudes are wrong, you need to look at each case in general. I wouldn't put an aggressive FIV+ with others, but a loving, friendly cat shouldn't be denied that company.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 16:30:48 PM »
Some vets and rescues unfortunately do still have an automatic PTS policy for FIVs, but thankfully they are few.

My boy came from CP, and I think a lot of rescues now will look at each case individually, i.e. if a cat does test positive, but is otherwise healthy and could go on to lead a happy healthy life as an indoor cat, they will endeavour to find a forever home. 

I think the fact that they have been together for 6 months anyway and obviously get on should mean they can continue to live together in their indoor environment without too many problems  ;D 

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 16:21:25 PM »
Vets do not put down cat with FIV now, and our vet said it would be OK to keep him as the risk is very low
A cat is for life

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 15:32:14 PM »
When I picked up a stray, he was tested for the FIV, FILV viruses and both vet and lady from the CP said that if he had it he would have to be PTS as they cant mix with other cat's that haven't got it, I just presumed this was right?

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 15:23:05 PM »
We will keep him he gets on with all the other cats they do not fight, and he has been with us now for 6 months. And all our cats are house cat.
A cat is for life

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 15:22:15 PM »
Great news about "M" -

Fingers crossed that Merlins will be negative too.

If possitive Merlin would have to be an indoor cat unless you have a secure garden.
There is a risk that he could pass it onto one of your other cats but the risk, believe it or not, is quiet small.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 15:01:40 PM »
You are partly right CC, its not ideal to have FIV and non-FIV together, but as long as they do not fight, and the cats are both kept indoors (less risk of infection anway), then the transferrence risk is very low I believe.

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 14:42:49 PM »
What do you plan to do with Merlin if he has got it? As I know they cant live with cat's who haven't got it. Just a thought.

Hope all comes back clear.  :)

Poor little "M" good job you found her.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 12:43:21 PM »
Just had some great news ‘M’ my 16 year old cat FIV test has come back from Glasgow it is negative, so I have booked Merlin in on Wedensday at 16:15 at the vets to have another test and to send it off Glasgow, if it comes back positive he can only have got it from the breeder so I will cross that bridge when it comes to it
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »
Paree - even if M's results come back negative, you need to get Merlin's result confirmed in case he is one of the 7%. There is a good chance he will be the only positive in the group though, studies have shown the transmission rate is as low as 1-2%.
Please spay your cat

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 21:52:15 PM »
Good luck with the results from Glasgow -

fingers crossed that they are negative but even if possitive remember what everyone has already said "its not a death sentense"

Please let us know as soon as you know.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 20:04:38 PM »
Hi Furbabystar
I had Merlin tested at the vets suggestion, just to rule out all other possible complications when he ran a very high temperature, developed a very nasty cough and wheeze and had severe ongoing problems with his gums. The vet has sent a swap sample from his gums up to Glasgow for testing as well.
They have sent 'M's' ghost reading test to Glasgow for a re-test, if that comes back negative then we will get Merlins re-tested, although it sounds increasingly like a route we may take with him anyway.
Fingers crossed, the anti-biotics seem to be working on the cough and he is driving us all up the wall (following his lead)  :Crazy: so no real change in him there then ;D
A cat is for life

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »
I do hope that the Glasgow test comes back negative, there is a 7% chance it will, but as the others have said, it isn't a death sentence if it doesn't. Do keep us posted.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Welcome to Purrs, your furry family sound amazing.

Let us know the outcome of the 2nd test if you do get the Glasgow one done.

If it is positive, don't be scared, it really is not a death sentence!  My boy was diagnosed as a stray aged about 2, he is now 8 and has been with me for 6 years with no problems other than the odd sniffle and a few dental issues.

I won't do a long post on here until we know more about Merlin's results, but you are more than welcome to pm me if you want any further info in the meantime. 

Keep us posted.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 23:48:34 PM »
I agree - you must get Merlins test sent to Glasgow as an inhouse test isnt always correct (he might just test positive for the anti-bodies which he could shake off)

Merlin might have picked up the antibodies from M who has a "Ghost line" (if that test proves to be positive) .

What made you get Merlin tested ?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 18:17:46 PM »
Hi,

Your furry family sounds wonderful can't wait to see pic of them :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 15:53:41 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

I do hope that when the retest comes back it is negative, keeping fingers crossed.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 17:29:57 PM »
Thanks Sam
I have 6 cats, 5 are house cats and one lives outside, I do have a run outside for the house cats. We loved Merlin to bits before we knew, but we love him even more now, he just meows and we are there. He is a big boy, he goes over 11 pounds, and at just 8 months old he is doing well, as he is a Maine coon he will be big. We have 2 moggies who will be 16 years old in 2007, called 'M' & Cleo, 'M' is so called because she was found in a box on the M11. We have 1 Birman called Tyemoon he is 8 and 1 Tonkinese called Tonker he is 15 and 2 Maine Coons called Maverick who is five & Merlin. We also have a lot of trouble with Maverick, he has an enlarged heart, heart murmur, hip dysplasia, and a stretched colon, for which he is on medication 3 times a day, so if Merlin does test positive and becomes unwell we are quite well equipped to keep him on medication, if required, as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 17:30:44 PM by Parée »
A cat is for life

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Marlin
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 16:14:48 PM »
I would suggest getting the samples sent off to Glasgow.

Also remember FIV IS NOT a death sentence.  There are lots of lovely cats with FIV who live long and very happy lifes ... of course if they are FIV they will have be house cats or allowed out in the garden in an enclosed run.

Good luck and sending lots of positive vibes that the test was inaccurate and your litle baby is OK :)

Im sure once all the regular FIV owners get back on here they will be able to offer you a lot of excellent advice.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 13:45:01 PM »
Hi it was an in house test so was my other cat M she is 16 years old and had only been to the vets once when she was 6 month old to be done, we have sent her test off so I see when it comes back and then have Merlin done again
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 17:31:39 PM by Parée »
A cat is for life

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Marlin
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 13:18:02 PM »
Hi and   :welcome: to Purrs.

Unfortuantely I don't have any experience of FIV however I have read lots of the threads on here and CatChat and I know that there are some very knowledgabel people on here.  Was the test an in-house test carried out at your vets or was the sample sent to Glasgow?  The in-house tests are often not very accurate.

I would suggest having a read of the following thread:

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=147.0

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
Merlin
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 13:00:35 PM »
Hi to everyone I have just been told my 8 month old Maincoon cat Merlin has FIV, I have just had all my other cats tested, and one has come out with a ghost line, so we have sent her test off for a better one so we know if she has it or not. All our other cat have not got it, if she come back clear I will go back to the breeder
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 17:32:12 PM by Parée »
A cat is for life

Link to CatChat