Author Topic: Fizz Update  (Read 53612 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Fizz Update
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 21:44:45 PM »
Poor Ginge! Hope he makes a full recovery, sounds like he's fallen on his feet now though  :hug:  Would love to see what he looks like when he comes home  :)  :pic:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 21:20:22 PM »
Hi and thanks for the good wishes.

Phoned the surgery this morning, Ginge doing really well.  They are really impressed with his progress.  He has eaten food today & has not had any painkillers so a very good sign.

They scanned him but no microchip so no closer to finding his owner.

They also seem to want to adopt him to live at the surgery - they have about 5 cats living there permanently!

So, as long as he's up to it, he will be castrated tomorrow, if we can shut him in overnight we can bring him back tomorrow or they will keep him until Saturday.

Checking him over, no other injuries - one lucky cat!

They say he is so nice & friendly - which is very true!

His future is looking more optomistic today, thank heavens!

Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 18:51:12 PM »
Sending lots of especially gentle healing furry headbutts to Ginge from me and the gang  :hug:

I hope that he is feeling loads better soon  :get well:

Really pleased to hear that Fizz is doing OK  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 22:20:32 PM »
 :( Poor Ginge, everything crossed for a quick recovery poor boy xx

Glad to hear that Fizz is doing well  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 20:37:56 PM »
Should really call this Ginge update really..... :scared:

Came downstairs this morning, Ginger was in, but his nose and mouth were bloody.

Fearing the worse, we took him to our vets & managed to be seen before morning surgery started at 9am - we thought he'd been hit by a car.

He has not been involved in an RTA but, somehow, has lost a quarter of his tongue.  Withot trying to sound brutal, apparently it's been ripped off - perhaps caught on barbed wire/trap? 

He's been given antibiotics & painkillers, he did try eating this afternoon but was in too much pain, poor mite.

So he's stopping at the vets until they are satisfied he will be ok as he has an infection in the tongue where the wound is. 

They will scan him for a microchip but if nothing, we will then get him neutered whilst he is there - they will do this once they are happy that he is strong enough to recuperate from the op.

He was soo good and patient.  Even the vets love him.

Keep your fingers crossed for him.

We have told the vet that we will pay for his treatment, even though he's not our cat as we want him to have every possible chance of a recovery & quality of life after.  Providing the infection can be controlled, and the swelling of the tongue goes down, he should be fine apparently.

On a positive note, Fizz seems to be continuing ok - must talk to the vet about reducing steriods again as has been a month since we started to wean him off. ;)
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 23:59:39 PM »
Fizz making good progress.

I'm so pleased to hear it - I think that that calls for a few of these  :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

You're such a caring person, and just want the best for Fizz, and for Ginge  ;D

A lot of the time he comes in, eats all the food & then goes straight out again!

You sound like you are on the slippery slope now - that's exactly how Tatty started with us, and then Tabs, and look where we are now  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sure Ginge will get to trust you more, all it takes is time and love, and I see you're already halfway there  :sneaky: :shify: :naughty:

Thanks Sylvia :Luv:  Ginge was here when I got up today (late - half past 10!!!) happily crashed out on the sofa.  He chirps when I speak to him & purred this morning when I fussed him, bless.  He waited for Molly & Amy to have their food, then got up, finished their bowl off & went out.  Was back at tea time but disappointed that there wasn't much food (in his opinion... :rofl:)!
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 22:44:02 PM »
Fizz making good progress.

I'm so pleased to hear it - I think that that calls for a few of these  :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

You're such a caring person, and just want the best for Fizz, and for Ginge  ;D

A lot of the time he comes in, eats all the food & then goes straight out again!

You sound like you are on the slippery slope now - that's exactly how Tatty started with us, and then Tabs, and look where we are now  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sure Ginge will get to trust you more, all it takes is time and love, and I see you're already halfway there  :sneaky: :shify: :naughty:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 06:38:47 AM »
Glad to hear that Fizz is doing well  :)

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 00:01:46 AM »
Hi everyone!

Fizz making good progress.  Still keeping him interested in food although he has had the steroids cut down.  Finished his probiotics - so far no recurrence of tummy problems.  Have heard him purring a couple of times when I've picked him up - he purrs very selfishly - all to himself... & he has actively played for a few minutes a couple of times this week - all good signs.

Thanks for your kind words Sylvia - I just worry that some will think we are wrong for allowing Fizz full outdoor access & not discouraging another cat from coming in as Fizz could infect him or catch something off him.  It's not for the lack of trying to keep Fizz in but he is an outdoor cat.  If we kept him in 24/7 then we may as well put him to sleep now - he loves his freedom.

I genuinely love all cats & couldn't turf Ginge out - am honoured that he feels that he can trust us enough to come back.  He is a full tom but has stopped spraying in the house - we did use to put him out if he was spraying.  He stopped this reasonably quickly.    All ours seem to acknowledge he needs a feed & home so aren't that bothered by him.  Strange how they seem to understand.

I'll give thought to taking Ginge to the vets for microchip scan & neutering - it all hinges on when he calls by & when the vets are open etc.  Don't want to upset him & scare him off by keeping him locked up til the vets are open.  A lot of the time he comes in, eats all the food & then goes straight out again!
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 22:11:38 PM »
Sorry I haven't been around much recently, but I just wanted to say what a lovely picture that is of Fizzy - he's looking sleek, glossy and very gorgeous  :Luv:
I am looking forward to the next update, and hope that all is positive for him  :)

I have to say that that Ginge is a bit of a hunk too  :Luv2:

If you are able to handle him, is it possible to get him to a vet to get him scanned for a microchip, and to check whether he is neutered or not?  I don't know if we are just lucky, but our vet will do this for no charge, as long as we give them notice and it is convenient for them.

He is not agressive & respects the space of our cats.
Seems reckless as Fizz is FIV but Ginge has not given us much option - can't turf him out permanently. 

It doesn't seem reckless at all to me.  Only you know how your existing furry family and Ginge will get on, and if you see no aggression between them, then I don't see anythng to worry about  ;D

Well done you for being such a caring person  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 20:01:02 PM »
From his pic he looks like a full tom? If so that will be why you dont see him for a few days, hes off patrolling borders and finding love!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2009, 06:50:13 AM »
Thanks for the idea Janey - it's not a bad idea at all.

Although he's adopted us, it's all on his terms - we may not see him for a few days at a time, then regularly for 2/3 days on the run.  I think he's a cat with several homes but of no fixed abode.  He seems reasonably happy with life the way it is. 

I will endeavour to find his owner, now I have a picture to pass around.

That's what Matty used to do he'd call for a few days then miss a day or two then be back.  The first collar I put on I got no reply then we took him for neutering and afterwards put another collar on - but I wrapped sellotape round it this time to make it water proof and stiffer.  I then got a phone call about him.  Although I have to say that the ferals are the same some are more regular visitors than others so your visitor may not have a permanent abode.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 22:59:20 PM »
Thanks for the idea Janey - it's not a bad idea at all.

Although he's adopted us, it's all on his terms - we may not see him for a few days at a time, then regularly for 2/3 days on the run.  I think he's a cat with several homes but of no fixed abode.  He seems reasonably happy with life the way it is. 

I will endeavour to find his owner, now I have a picture to pass around.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 17:24:37 PM »
oh I see, the reason I ask is I attached one to a cat who was visiting and ours is just a small village but it turned out he was actually living behind the allotments behind us with a a lady and her son but peeps round here tend to keep themselves to themselves really  :)

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 17:08:39 PM »
Gorgeous photos  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Have you tried attaching a paper collar to Ginge to see whether he belongs to anyone?

Hi JaneyK!  Thanks for the compliments - Amy's photo is a bit abstract as used the wide angle lens to get the fisheye effect!

Regarding Ginger, no, haven't attached a paper collar to see if he has an 'owner'.  However, our village is quite small & there are a lot of folk who know everyone's business, so someone would have knowledge of who or where Ginger is from.  I think he was either dumped in our village or found his way here but doesn't know how to get home again.  There was nothing on the original collar, just a plain black collar.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 19:42:52 PM »
Gorgeous, ginger is my kind of cat  :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »
Gorgeous photos  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Have you tried attaching a paper collar to Ginge to see whether he belongs to anyone?

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 23:23:47 PM »
It's those amber eyes that do me in - not seen eyes like that for years.  Stunning.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 23:22:13 PM »
Thanks Gill.

Picture attached of a cat who, since March, has been quietly adopting us.  He is not agressive & respects the space of our cats.  No-one knows where he came from, he just appeared in our village in March/April this year.  He was wary of us until one day, I spotted the collar he was wearing had got caught round his leg.  He allowed me to handle him & Fil to remove the collar - luckily it had not gone through his skin.  Fil put the collar back on but within a few days he'd lost it.  So summer came & he continued to visit, even following me on one occasion when I went for a walk - had to carry him back to our garden as was wandering on the main road.  He even let me remove ticks off him with the correct removal tool.  Now he sleeps over from time to time, & greets us with a friendly chirp!  We have, strangely enough, nick named him Ginger. 

We contacted the local vet & no one has reported a lost cat & no one in our village knows where he came from.  Perhaps he came to Shobdon clinging to a car as many a cat get lost in this fashion.

Seems reckless as Fizz is FIV but Ginge has not given us much option - can't turf him out permanently. 
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 23:00:28 PM »
lovely cats  ;D

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 22:51:47 PM »
 :thanks:

4 all ur good wishes and thoughts for Fizz, he really appreciates them!

So far so good this week - have reduced the steroids to half a tablet per day, he's finished the antibiotics & the probiotics & seems to be doing alright.  There are glimmers of the mischevious Fizz coming back, thank heavens.

Finally got some software on the new laptop to allow me to resize the photos I have on here & put them online for you, so here is a picture of Fizz, Molly (Black & White) & Amy (Tortie) all taken earlier this year!

Will update you in a couple of weeks time to let you know how Fizzy's coping.

You are all so good & caring, it does help talking with those who understand.  Some folk wouldn't understand & would euthinase because they felt it was too costly (my boss for one.....).  Whilst people can claim to be sympathetic, you have to live with a cat with FIV to empathise.

:hug: :thanks: :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 19:25:44 PM »
Hoping his tum settles down soon  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 23:17:02 PM »
That's good to hear it's not the FIV stepping up a gear as you put it.  Even the healthiest of cats have tummy troubles (talking from experience  :sick:) and if he's had repeated courses of antiobiotics it's bound to have thrown his system off kilter.  Riley had lactoB probiotic powder sprinkled onto his meals when his problem was lingering and that really seemed to do the trick.

:crossed: for Fizz and do keep us posted  :)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:47 AM »
Glad to hear his tummy is sorted again and that he is doing well  :hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 22:58:53 PM »
Hi all,

Thought you'd be interested in the latest updates on Fizzy.

His tummy troubles resurged again on Sunday - phoned the vets as have an out of hours emergency service (thank heavens).  They have put him on another 5 day course of betamox 40mg to sort this out.  Seems to have worked as not leaving little puddles - phew.

Took him into see Paul this morning, the vet who we have worked with closely since initially diagnosed in Jan 07, as needed to discuss Fizz as really not himself.  Paul checked his blood & his RBC is 34! :wow: His tmperature is normal, he doesn't think that it is the FIV stepping up a gear either which is a relief.  He puts Fizzy's quietness down to the fact that he's been on the steroids since May - 6 months at various dosages, - his glands were understandably full after 3 episodes of diaorreha & his bottom looks quite sore from his upsets.

So the plan of attack is reduce the steroids to half a tab (5mg) per day as of today.  Finish the betamox (last tab 2moz) & then give him a 5 day course of probiotics to help restore his digestive system & rub cream into his anal area to reduce the soreness. 

I also insisted that Paul did a full blood test - he did these & phoned later in the day - some abnormalities in the tests but the steriods can affect these readings, nothing to be worried about.  RBC & WBC are both good.  Platelettes are slightly abnormal as well as immunity.

Hopefully, we can this time sucessfully wean him off the steroids with relative ease - just do it gradually so as not to incur any problems for Fizz.

The good news is that he is not suffering & we are not needlessly proglonging his life, there is still hope.

Paul wants us to phone him next week & let him know how Fizz is doing.  Not many vets care that much!

So I am slightly happier, but still have reservations over how his progress is doing.  Glad that Fil & I took the time out of work this morning to talk to Paul - he doesn't seem to be in the surgery so much these days so took the first opportunity we could to see him.  Will keep you all posted in the weeks to come.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 21:36:16 PM »
Glad he's feeling more like himself again  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 07:26:50 AM »
Glad his tummy is sorted but hope that he soon feels a little happier on himself   :hug:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:27:17 AM by Janeyk »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 00:52:34 AM »
thats great and hope that fizz contues to do well  :hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 00:46:55 AM »
Hi & thanks  :thanks: to all of Fizz's well-wishers.

The pills seem to have cleared up his tummy troubles - he finished his course of tablets on Wednesday and, touching wood, has not had any recurrence of his problem.  Seems down but I think that's because of the steroids - he's been feeling down for a long time - the bubbly Fizz seems to be a memory now.  We will be taking him back to the vets for another blood test in the next couple of weeks with a view to try and get him off of the steroids.  They are a necessary evil but we hate them, all he is currently interested in is food.  Really wish we could find another way to try and stem the anaemia.

But hey, I'm not complaining, he's still here & still has a quality of life which is what counts.  Fil & I are just so glad that his tummy trouble wasn't anything worse - we were both dreading what the vet was going to say.

Will give you all a progress report in the next few weeks.  Thanks again for all of your support. :thanks: :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 11:05:11 AM »
So glad he is feeling better  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 23:59:58 PM »
So pleased that Fizz is feeling good and hope he stays that way for ages and ages  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 23:32:42 PM »
That's great news  ;D Go Fizz!

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 23:11:07 PM »
 8)  Fizz says hi to all his well wishers & just wanted you all to know that he is feeling lots better.  He knows he still has 2 days of pills to take but boy oh boy does he feel better. :thanks: :hug: :rofl: :wow: ;)
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 22:23:18 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all the warm wishes for Fizz - he really appreciates them!

The vet is optomistic that he will get over the tummy trouble & has given him an injection to help him on his way to recovery.  We have some tablets to give him twice a day - if no better by Monday then we are to take him back for a review.

Both Fil & I wish we could get the anaemia under control & he could have a break from the steroids but this seems to be is weak point.  The longest he went without them was 3 months before needing them again.

We will do our best for him but will not let him suffer.  He seems happy at the moment & enjoying life.  He's a fighter & we will help him all we can.

Will post again next week when we have a better idea of how he's doing.

:thanks: :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 20:56:03 PM »
 :welcome: back, sorry to hear Fizz hasn't been too well - hope the steroids can do their job and you get to the bottom of the tummy troubles  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 20:55:19 PM »
Hope all went well  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 20:35:25 PM »
Hope that the vet visit goes well and Fizz starts to pick up soon  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 16:47:13 PM »
Best wishes for your boy  :hug:
Hoping your vet trip went well and its just his glands playing up  :sick:

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 13:44:40 PM »
Hiya, still sounds like a bit of a rollercoaster with his meds etc, but your vets are obviously very good  :)

Fingers crossed all is well with today's vet visit, keep us posted, and some updated piccies would be fab if you get a chance :hug:  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
Hi everyone.

Didn't realise just how long it had been since I'd posted on here with an update on Fizz.  2008 was a reasonable year for him - he continued to perk up & was back to his funlovin self.  He had a couple of recurrences of the anaemia so was on & off steroids.

This year has not been so good for him.  We did a 'trickle dose' of steroids as recommended by the vet last Christmas & at the end of March we took him in for a check up - RBC 30 - spot on!  However, a month later he was licking the ground again so once more we put him on the trickle dose.  This is a mild dose of prednisolone - half a tablet twice a day for 3 weeks, then gradual weaning off - hopefully to control the anaemia.  Weaning him off in July we noticed him licking the ground again so boosted the dose as recommended by the vet.  Then, by the end of August, we were in the weaning off stages again & he's back to licking the ground.

Took him in at the beginning of September & had bloods taken, terrible - his RBC was a 6th of it's normal count (6 instead of 30) & white cell count half of what it should be.  Amazed he wasn't showing any symptoms or pain as he could have passed out.  He was quiet so figure that he knew he couldn't run around.

So back on the steroids again - still doing half a tab twice a day.  Slow recovery as was really ill - & we thought we were headed in the right direction until last night.  He now has a watery discharge from the anus - smells like a cow pat - so we are taking him in for a check up today.  He seems bright - tried to follow me last night when I went for a walk & has appetite & drinking plenty.  I'm just worried that the FIV has moved up a gear.  He had a mild attack of the uveitis in September as well, but with the bloods being so bad, I'm not surprised.

Will let you know what the vet says.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Link to CatChat