Author Topic: Fizz Update  (Read 53613 times)

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
Re: Fizz Update
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:01:30 AM »
I'm glad Fizz is feeling a bit better and that his uveitis has cleared up. It's great to have a good vet and yours sounds very supportive. Hoping Fizz stays well.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:35:49 AM »
Keeping everything crossed for Fizz and the hope the meds can be reduced/stopped shortly  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 22:59:09 PM »
 :thanks: everyone for your kind words.

We share the same philosophy Schmew - if Fizz has some quality of life now then that's for the best.  Without the steroids he would have died last February - he has had an extra year so far which is a bonus in the company of such a wonderful character.

Seems brighter tonight, little more boisterous..... :Luv:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 22:12:05 PM »
Fingers crossed the new meds help to sort him out turbogirlie  :hug:

I know what you mean about the steroids being a worry, but even if the make the long run shorter (as it were) if they help in the meantime it's the best we can ask for.

Please keep us posted

x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 07:42:22 AM »
AWw, I do hope he can be weaned off the meds, and is fine.
Please spay your cat

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:13:29 AM »
sending lots of healing thoughts for Fizz

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 23:20:24 PM »
Thanks very much Gill, we are keeping our fingers crossed that Fizz can be weaned off the steroids soon, been on them too long really but it has been necessary, with the anaemia and uveitis...... :(

:thanks: :hug: ;)
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 23:05:14 PM »
Your vet sounds good so hope that Fizz will be fine  ;D

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
Fizz Update
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 22:44:50 PM »
Hi & Happy New Year to All!

I posted a thread http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=7470.0 regarding our FIV+ cat, Fizz previously and thought it was time for an update.

Seems to have recovered from the Uveitis now, although he did have a minor relapse resulting in a home visit.  Our vet is wonderful and very proactive.  He contacted the Bristol Laboratory regarding the Uveitis and Anaemia problems and they ran some tests for FIA - Feline Infectious Anaemia.

Unfortunately, this condition is difficult to diagnose unless the blood is tested almost immediately so couldn't get a reading.  However, he tested negative for Toxoplasmosis which is a cause of Uveitis so it would appear his eye problem is a result purely of the FIV.  It's a good sign that there isn't anything else causing the problem.

The laboratory have advised that the best course of action is 20 days on Ronaxan - used to treat FIA, as a precautionary medication.  Once treatment over, we can then wean him off the steroids (on half a tablet morning and night at present) to establish if Fizz now has control of his system again.

When the blood was taken on 4th Dec, his RBC had dropped from 36 to 30.  However, the vet said it is likely to fluctuate a little so wasn't overly concerned at the reduction.

Fizz in himself has good days where he is more his old, boisterous self, then quiet days where he just wants to snuggle up on your lap and sleep or hide in the wardrobe/cardboard box..... we are both concerned for him but will do our best, knowing he has the support of this site and our vet behind him.

In our researches about FIV I found a very informative website connected to prescription medication given to animals.  http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium/Overview/-21789.html
If you input the name of the medication prescribed, you will get information regarding contra indications etc which is really useful, and the name of the company which markets the product in the UK.

Will let you know how he gets on with the Ronaxan, we are on day 4 so far, still early days and unsure if we will see a visible improvement until off the steroids.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 23:18:57 PM by Turbogirlie »
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Link to CatChat