Author Topic: Leo Day  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Leo Day
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 09:38:44 AM »
In the upside down position Leo looked remarkably like my Jessica. Bless him.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »
What a truly beautiful soul.  Hope life is wonderful at the Bridge Leo. x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 22:19:23 PM »
What a gorgeous kitty - he was loved no doubt about that .

RIP Leo Day xxx
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 08:22:45 AM »
What a wonderful, wonderful tribute. He was a gorgeous cat, and sounds like he had wonderful parents who did the best by him constantly. RIP little one, and do send a message down.
Please spay your cat

Offline Duncan and Findlay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 23:00:50 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. We wanted this to be a bit about how he was, rather than totally me and Deb being down in the mouth about it.

Been trying to format a bit of movie, taken in the summer of 2005 (I was wearing sandals, and in Scotland - that means summer!), but I'm not having much success with uploading it. But I did come across another wee photo I'd like to post.

Again, we ARE living in Scotland, so maybe that's why he loved the fireplace so much!  :)

I'll not bother with the video, I think this thread has been very special to mark the occasion.

Thanks everyone,
Mark.
You don't choose a cat, the cat chooses you.

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 21:00:13 PM »
RIP Little Leo. Sad ending for you.

That story made me cry.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 17:53:41 PM »
what an absolutely fantastic tribute to your little man and so, so handsome.

It saddens me to look on the Rainbow bridge threads but always like to send my thoughts to anyone's bereavement. As all these fur babes get taken too soon and the poor ones that are unloved seem to suffer for so long

a wonderful, wonderful tribute from you and Deb Mark

xxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 15:52:59 PM »
What a lovely handsome cat Leo was and a very contented one too, judging by his pics.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 15:17:42 PM »
Happy anniversary Leo, I bet you having a great time on the Bridge.

What a wonderful tribute for a great cat  ;D

Offline Totos Mum

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 15:12:44 PM »
what a fitting tribute to a remarkable sounding little fella...
Sarah
x

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 13:56:22 PM »
Mark

A really lovely cat Leo was and he was very lucky to be loved by you and Debs.
I went through something very similar myself with my cat Kyle and also had to make that horrible decision.

Sending you both warmest wishes on Leo Day.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 13:46:59 PM »
Blimey Mark, thats quite a tribute. I'd not seen some of those pics before, he was a handsome cat.

You can guarantee he's watching from where he is and is stoked you've added Finn and Dunc to the family  :)
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 13:37:15 PM »
What a handsome boy he was, he sounded a top cat and that was a lovely tribute to him.  You must know that he will be at Rainbow Bridge waiting to be reunited with you and one day will finally get to meet up with his mischievious nephews.

RIP Leo xx

Offline Duncan and Findlay

• Adult Cat
Leo Day
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 13:18:20 PM »

Today is Leo Phillips' 1 year anniversary.

He had to be put to sleep after a tumour in his nasal cavity couldn't be held back any longer. My wife lived beside the original owner in a divided house, and Leo would spend a lot of time in her house, only leaving to be fed by his owner! When the owner was moving house, she asked Deb if she wanted to keep Leo, as she didn't want to disrupt his otherwise very pleasant life. Deb was delighted to be asked, as she got quite fond of Leo, and was sad when the news came that her neighbour was moving - because she'll miss Leo.

2 years later, I arrived. He wasn't put out by having 'another man' in the house, we accepted each other's right to be there! Deb had said that Leo wasn't that fond of Male Humans, so I took my time with him and we got to know each other gradually. We became great friends, he would sit on my lap for hours - even cramp wouldn't make me tell him to get down, he was soooo cute. He had his own particular way of lying on my lap.  If I had my legs crossed one way, he'd sit there - staring at me - until I crossed them the other way. Sometimes he'd be impatient and bellow a loud meaow, just to make sure I crossed my legs to suit him!

We moved house a couple of years later, too. But only up the road a wee bit. Still within his roaming territory, and he was happy enough. He started to spend more time with us, by choice, and it was a very good period for us at that time. That ended when he started sneezing a lot, with bogeys. He'd often have sneezing 'fits' and we took him to the vet thinking it was just an infection or something. Tests upon tests came unconclusive to the cause. He was treated with antibiotics, steriods, etc and was on daily courses of tablets. The vet was pleased, but still confused, by his progress. He decided to take him off the medication, because he was doing so well.

That's when it came back, but worse. We noticed that his left eye was starting to produde and by the next day it was obvious that there was a lot of pressure behind it. Another trip to the vet, and he was left there for an x-ray. The vet rang us, while Leo was still under, to tell us that our worst fears have come true - and in fact there WAS a tumour growing inside his head. Not cancerous, but still getting bigger - and the positioning of it meant that surgery was totally out of the question.

He kindly offered us to have Leo back for a couple of days, but it was purely ONLY for us to say goodbye, as he'll have to come back in to be put to sleep. As it was officially Deb's cat (he kept the Phillips surname even after we got married), she decided that she couldn't bear that and we allowed the Vet to send Leo to the Bridge there and then. Without further suffering.

That day was exactly 1 year ago today.

We still miss you Leo, you were a tremendous cat. You were intelligent, communicative, affectionate and a great pal to have. We speak to Duncan and Findlay about you a lot, we refer to you as their Uncle Leo and we'll never forget you. Thanks for the memories.

Deb and Mark.

You don't choose a cat, the cat chooses you.

Link to CatChat