Author Topic: feeling guilty  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: feeling guilty
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 11:33:09 AM »
Do you know what nearly everyone I know always thinks there's other things they should or could have done.
What is meant to be is meant to be  I know talk is cheap.  In July this year we had to have our Smokey pts after a leg amp (17yrs) and we too wonder whether we did the right thing for him but you do what you can and have to tell yourself that.
I'm sure our kits wouldn't want us to be unhappy.
God bless Smudge xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 18:45:22 PM »
Please dont feel guilty, you went with what the vets suggested, and while you have read things since that may have worked, the vets may have known that they wouldn't work in Smudgeys case. I have lost cats to illnesses and read at people fighting more than I did for my particular cat, but beating yourself up does you no good at all, we are all different, as are our cats, and we all have our own limits before having to say 'no more' and just because it seems less than another person really doesn't make it wrong. And trust me, you did more than some cat owners would do. RIP little one, mummy loved you loads and did everything she could for you, sadly at times it isn't enough.
Please spay your cat

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 19:19:46 PM »
You did the best you could under the circumstances, and I expect guidance from the vets.
you did not want Smudgey suffering, so you did what you did out of love.

I know how much you must be missing Smudgy, as i am missing  my Shadow (RTA in Oct).

I am thinking of you
X

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 18:36:27 PM »
 :thanks: everyone was having a real down day when i posted this topic and I knew i would feel better after I had a good cry, it hasn't helped being stuck at home following major surgery on my womb and kidney being alone with my own thoughts has not been good but am feeling better now  :thanks: 

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 18:09:34 PM »
smudgey, dont be so hard on yourself. You tried your best at the time and that is all anyone can do.... :hug:
Tormenting yourself with what ifs will do nothing for your cat but bring immense pain to you so please stop for your own sake.

RIP Little Smudge

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 14:27:21 PM »
I believe what can happen will happen, although I never think it's meant to be. We don't ever know the reasons why and most of the time it's just wrong time wrong place. I lost 1 of my cat's to illness when she was 16 months and still to this day i cant do anything else except blame myself. The pain is still so sharp even after 2 years but i hold onto the memories of what a great girl she was and I know she has forgiven me. If you feel like you really need help over this please talk to someone, don't keep it to yourself in times of hurt.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 12:03:18 PM »
I think it made it worse cos he was not even 2 years old my beautiful baby x

[attachment deleted by admin]

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »
Sorry to hear what happened to smudge, I'm sure he is free from pain now and he will be watching over you. You done all you could to help him and the vet's don't know all the answers. So please don't beat yourself up about it and be thankfull knowing he will be waiting for you. Don't keep hold of the guilt it will only allow the sadness to carry on, instead think of the memories you both had together and cherish them. Please don't be too hard on yourself, it will get easier with time. x

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 12:00:28 PM »
 :thanks: for your kind words I just knew I'd find understanding on here.
 Yvonne that Poem is beautiful more tears....
 :thanks: again jackie xxx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about Smudgey, I am not surpised that you miss him he is absolutely gorgeous.
You obviously care very much for him or you would not be here, it was not your fault you did everything possible.
You arer going through the "what it" syndrome, I should have tried this or I could have tried that, in the end it would probably have made little difference.  You can only go by the advice of your Vet and he was obviously depressed by his treatment.
Please do not beat yourself up about it Smudgey would never have wanted you to be unhappy.

Take care - thinking of you xxx

If it should be I grow frail and weak,
And pain prevents my peaceful sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
When this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand.
Selfishness might stay your hand.
But on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship take the test.
We've had so many happy years ,
That what's to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer. So,
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me where my needs they'll tend.
Only stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me.
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know, in time, you, too, will see,
It is a kindness that you do for me.
Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Do not grieve it should be you.
Who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years......
Don't let your heart hold any tears

RIP Smudgey
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:39:41 AM »
RIP Smudgey, I am sure you are having a great time on the Bridge and not blaming your slave at all cosa you knew she did the best she knew how for you.

Dont blame yourself about anything, you did everything you knew how at the time and its up to vets to have the knowledge and to give the advice.

Like you I also wish I had knew about this siter, well CC when Kocka was very ill.

I am sure that Smudgey is not mad at you at all and is trying so hard to tell you that he still loves you for ever and ever.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
feeling guilty
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:16:33 AM »
 It was five months yesterday we had our beautiful Smudgey PTS I feel so guilty he had FLUTD
had been catheterised three times and was so depressed at the vets
I had thought he had been poorly for a while but you sometimes just hope they get over it don't you?
He loved me so much and it was mutual and I really feel I let him down
we were booked to go on holiday and used half our spending money to treat him but he just did not seem to be getting better he would not eat the special diet in any form
 I did not find this site till after his pts and reading these posts I now know there are other options, whether they would have helped Smudge I will never know
I am typing this thru my tears
I am so sorry smudgey baby I love you sooo much it hurts so bad Mummy wishes she'd cancelled her holiday and tried to get you better
I also wish we had insurance please if anyone reads this is putting off insurance please don't cos you never know when you'll need it
I am sorry if this upsets anyone but thanks for listening

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat