Author Topic: Is My flat Big enough?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline DanT

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mia
Re: Is My flat Big enough?
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:54 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  If i do get another I will stop there as 130 may be one too many fo my flat   ;D

I am going to ask Cats Protection opinion as they a probably the best placed people to advise on whether she may like a friend.  Her Fosterer had 4 cats of her own and another pen next to Mia's and they certainly never said she needed to be an only cat. I'll try running some cat vids on you tube as well to see how she reacts to those.

And thanks  Rosella, I agree she's a beauty but i may be a bit biased.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 20:00:48 PM »
but if you wanted, you could maybe have more than two ?? that's quite feasible also  :sneaky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hhCh9t-bI&feature=related

:evillaugh:

:shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »
Yeah Plenty of room for two  ;)
I stayed in a 2 bed, second story flat with Hamish and Misty No Problem
dunno about letting them out tho, getting access for coming and going
and remember, it's safer indoors than out

but if you wanted, you could maybe have more than two ?? that's quite feasible also  :sneaky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hhCh9t-bI&feature=related

:evillaugh:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:04:13 AM by Stuart ( Olivia's Dad ) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »
Pics are here FF.  Def worth a look.  She's a beauty  :Luv: :Luv:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,35013.msg621447.html#msg621447

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 01:50:03 AM »
I too have a two bedroom flat and, for the last year, a solo indoor boy. Noah is supposed to stay inside due to a paw condition but is also fairly skittish yet exceptionally loving.  :Luv: Noah was tested with both cats and dogs and he REALLY doesn't like them so I have accepted I can't become a hoarder. :rofl: Noah adores his solo play toys, including several sets of Turbo Track from Purrs shop. The clip that persuaded me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgdVucDeVU

I love that Mia chose you and not vice versa - cats have great taste! How does Mia cope with cat noises on YouTube? Was she introduced to other pets (other than her babies) whilst in rescue? Since nobody else has posted it
 :need pics:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:55:49 AM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 18:56:16 PM »
Answer to Dan and Alex ..... If you re considering another furbabe as a companion to your resident shy girls I would suggest that when the time is right and your girls aremore settled and comfortable in  their homes.  Then I would suggest you think about getting a kitten (something about 12 to 16 weeks old).  A youngster will be more likely to accept that your girls are in charge and there is less chance of bullying.

BTW ... Dan I woudl certainly say you can fit another cat into your home .... after all cats don't really take up that much space do they! (unless they are on a double bed when I am convinced my lot all double in size - leaving me with approx 2" square in the top corner in which to sleep!)  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 16:23:21 PM »
now we have one i want another too haha! think madam would be very unimpressed though, maybe one day...

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 15:55:41 PM »
In response to your question, I'd say yes.  I have 2 cats in a smaller setup (one bed flat - bedroom, living room, kitchen and tiny bathroom).  As to whether Mia would like company, that's harder to say.  It is usually best to get 2 when you get indoor cats as kittens as it gives them someone to play with when you're not home, and some companionship as they grow up together.  It's harder to introduce a new cat to an adult cat though.  Did CP say she needed to be an only cat?  I would contact them since you've not had her long and ask them to give you their honest opinion about whether they think Mia would accept another cat.  If they say no, then I think you have to accept that Mia may be better off an only cat (and let's face it, they generally just sleep when we're out at work!).  If they think she might be ok with another cat, then I'd be tempted to get another cat of a similar age.  Maybe a male?  As Mia is quite timid, you'd need a cat that was quite laid back so as to not dominate Mia and make her scared but one that wasn't also very timid.  A more confident cat might help Mia come out of her shell a bit more and I think you have enough room so that they can get away from each other and wouldn't be on top of each other all the time (e.g. they could choose to sleep in different rooms).  If you do go ahead however, I think you'd need to have a bit of a trial period and be prepared to return the new cat if they really don't get on.

Offline DanT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 15:47:36 PM »
She is about 2.  CP couldn't be more specific as I understand she was kind of dumped on them when her previous owners found out she was having kittens.  She was in a CP pen for about 5 months while the kittens were born, grew old enough and re homed.  I don't know where she came from unfortuantely.

As to why she may like a friend, well, I am not 100% sure she would but I am out at work all day and then when I get home she follows me everywhere until I sit down and then she seems to realise I'm not going to leaver her again and she can get on with the important stuff of ruining my chairs and carpet.  The other thing is that i worked from home the other day and everytime a pet insurance add came on with a cat in it she trotted up to the TV to get a proper look. 

I suppose being brutally honest with myself I wanted to get two cats when i got Mia.  It just that when CP suggested I see her, she made it quite clear that I had no choice but to bring her home with me.  :evillaugh:  So I got one instead of two.  Ultimately though whatever I do will have to be what's best for Mia.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 15:36:50 PM »
my gf and i have exactly the same setup and also rescued a perfectly healthy but very shy indoor cat as recommended by battersea. do you know what her background is? she might be shy because she came from a house with lost of other cats who bullied her (which we suspect was the case with ours), in which case it may not be the best idea to get another quite so soon. She'll still be settling in now and if she's that shy will be for quite some time to come (we've had Sadie 16 weeks and she's only just started occasionally sitting on the sofa next to us) before she feels like top cat. Once she's had a good while to become queen of the castle, then you could assess her behaviour and decide what to do from there and whether you might be able to introduce a pal!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 14:33:03 PM »
So finally my question is my flat big enough for two cats?

In answer to the simple question I would say Yes, my two cats (brothers, adopted as kittens) lived happily as indoor cats for the first year of their lives in a very similar sounding set-up to yours.

That said, the only snag is that Mia may be very happy as an only cat and if you were to introduce another cat she might become unhappy and then the space she has isn't enough as she's trying to get away from the newcomer. Alternatively they both might live happily ever after but it's a risk and I guess you won't find out until the newcomer arrives :shy:

How old is she and what makes you think she needs a friend, is she exhibiting any signs of being stressed/lonely?

Offline DanT

• Adult Cat
Is My flat Big enough?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 14:07:05 PM »
Please excuse the ramble.

I have had my Cat, Mia,  for a ten weeks on Sunday and she came to me from the local CP as an indoor Cat.  She does not have to be as such, not FIV+ or anything, she is just very shy and they felt that she would be perfectly happy as an Indoor only cat and that it would probably be the best for her anyway.  She has settled very well with me but still bolts under the bed (an improvement from under the sink)  when there is strange noise and hides when anyone else is in the flat other than just me.  All in all i think the right decision and she seems perfectly happy with several big windows, cat sitter DVD, scratch posts, toys, a game of DA bird etc etc etc. 

Now I've never had an indoor cat before and I'm constantly worried she will get bored.  I've bought lots of stuff, read every bit of advice I can find on this and other sites and try to follow as much of it as I can.   One of the bits I've not followed is that two are better than one when it comes to indoor cats.

I know there is a whole raft of things to consider before deciding that a second cat is the right move for me, with ultimately the most important thing is Mia's and any other cats happiness and wellbeing, but i can do the cat psychology bit once I've decided on the answer to my question.  I live in a second floor flat (hence the indoor cat although there are outdoor stairs to the gardens which we may try in the spring), which has two double bedrooms. large loungediner, kitchen, bathroom and hallway.  There is only myself and Mia in the flat bar the occasional visitor.

So finally my question is my flat big enough for two cats?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Link to CatChat