Author Topic: Is this good value do we think?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Is this good value do we think?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
Ok scrap the vaccination bit as I forgot it was additional vaccinations (assuming rabies). I will raise that with -you'll be paying for dietry advice that you don't need.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »
I've seen these before. I had a look and I don't think it is worth it.

What they test in the health checks should be what they look for anyway. You don't/won't get food for them, your animals are all neutered. You'll be paying for vet priced worming/defleaing rather than having the option to buy it cheaper elsewhere .. and some people don't worm/deflea a lot so their 12 months will be different than others. Then if you are insured, 10% off surgery bills won't matter as you won't be paying the bill anyways.

At a £140+ for an outdoor cat I think you'd be paying more than you would normally and be paying for things you won't be using. The most you'd benefit is 10% off vaccinations and consultations (even then not that if it can be covered by insurance.)

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline DanT

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mia
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:26 AM »
I pay £12 a month for the same thing plan at my vets.  Its a 10% saving on paying for each individually and makes budgeting a lot easier.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
You would think it would be less painful but as much as he was unhappy with me looking at it last night this morning he doesn't even want me touching his tail. Maybe he's just a big girl's blouse :evillaugh: I've felt his ears and they're fine, not hot or anything but would like to just get him sorted as he won't leave the wound alone.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:01:27 AM »
Poor Dave  :ahh:

If it has burst, the worst of the pain has probably gone  :), although best to get his temp checked and maybe ABs (with proBs if possible)

Not long after I got Kylie, she had an absess at the base of her tail - she was hiding under the bed. Not sure I would have done it the same but I went to work and booked her in with the vet for when I got home (cat carrier on the bus) - the vet took her temp and said it was more-or-less normal and she was on the mend anyway. This was an expensive London vet who charged me £50 for consult with no meds - in 2002  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »
Good to know :thanks: Just wanted someone else to tell me it was worth it!

As it goes the lump was obviously an abscess and it has burst overnight, it's obviously painful as he's twitching his tail furiously and constantly licking it so we'll be off to the vet later, embroidery class will just have to wait.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:39:19 AM »
I would do it if my vets offered it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Is this good value do we think?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 00:35:26 AM »
I am probably going to be taking Dave to the vets on Saturday due to a painful lump on his tail where he got a small wound from a fight (wound is clean and scabbed, no weeping or anything).

So I was just checking out consultation fees and having a mooch round my vets website as I've not needed them as yet. From what I can gether it's around the £30 for a consultation which is about what I expected.

They do this health plan thing where you pay a set amount monthly and you get all vaccinations, worming and flea treatments and two check-ups yearly. Info here http://www.braidvet.co.uk/page-sub.aspx?pageID=10

Do we think this is good value for money? It would be good to spread it out and I'm a terrible saver so am hopeless at putting money aside, particularly when my budget is tight. I'm just thinking while I'm a student this could be a good way to spread out the basics :shy:

Link to CatChat