Author Topic: Vet appointment times - why does Alice need to be there 6 hours beforehand?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
I personally prefer to leave mine there earlier, that way, I know they aren't going to get in the food, and I dont have to listen to them pitifully asking for food and knowing I Cant give it to them - I have done it once with a later app for bloods and it was awful hearing her ask for food. My vet does ops between 10.30 and 12.30 though, unless they are having x-rays, as she has to take them to the other branch once she has finished, although Tigers x-rays were done around 12. And it gives them longer to settle before their op. I have to leave cats overnight when I use the rescues vet due to where they are and their opening times, and I hate that.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
I sympathise with owner/carers concern but from a working point of view it really does help to have all the inpatient surgical or not in and the "ops/procedure" list written up.  This way there are no unexpected delays to the arrivals as they are already in or you know your not going to get a phone call saying "rover has just stolen some ham off the table" etc.

In Marks case i know there would have been no delays or the chance of her escaping or eating etc also removed but in general terms it helps everyone know what they are doing and what rules/instructions to follow when the guidelines are the same for most cases.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I can understand that normally but she clearly stated that non-surgical are done at the end of the day so it just doesn't make sense. Unless they assume that everyone does 9 - 5 and will drop the cat on the way to work?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
perhaps they just fit them in when and where they can during the day.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Good on yer Mark, hope she's ok and you are giving plenty of TLC  :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Anyway, I am a champion complainer so they must have pushed her up the list. Given that she was meant to be done at 3pm and I had her home before then  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Mark when Lexy went in for her bladder surgery, I left her there the night before because of work, and I thought they were due to operate at about 1pm, but it turns out they only operated on her at 3pm. They had told me to get her in for 10am that Monday if I could which would give them time to monitor her, give her any sedatives if necessary.

:hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
If mine have to have a procedure I usually have an appointment for around 10 am beforehand, then they do the ops after morning surgery, prob between 10.30 and 12.30, but I know sometimes they might do some ops later in the day - I can never pick them up before 5pm anyway, whatever time they do the ops.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Yer, get the vac out while she's not there Mark.  Strange how we all clean our houses around our puddies!!!! :Crazy:

Bluecat - I thought I was getting some prawns for my lunch then - although I don't want to go through that to get them!!!  Good luck with the cost.  My Smudge is 13 and missing since Sept. 2007 but I knowe what it's like with dental charges - more than ours!.  Bonnie's 10 and had her since Dec. 2007 - she seems ok at the mo.

Aw, Mark - Just read your next post before I sent this one - OH DEAR!!!!!!!  :(  TLC 100% when she comes home.

Mary

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Just went to do her room and saw that she had brought all her breakfast up in the ensuite and it's unlikely they will feed her today - poor baby  :(

I stopped off at morrisons to get her favourite - whiskas in gravy. I don't think Jelly agrees with her  :(

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
That is a long time  :( 

Marys been to the vets today for her booster and flea jab had her wormed as well  she seems fine now well shes had a bowl of prawns  ;)

She needs her teeth done though 120 quid one needs to come out one is chipped i joined their vet protect  scheme while i was their so i had all what she has had today included  ;D  but the dental probably wont be I'm hopping it will then its just 40 pound excess

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Just going to hoover her room now - at least she won't be there for that!  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Try not to worry Mark, although I know dammed well that I would too.  She'll be looking forward to all that extra TLC when you get her home.

Mary  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks Mary.

I know they will look after her but it's pointless her being miserable for longer than need be. Yes she is the one that may have cancer but we're hoping not  :(

I have seen their cages and they aren't all that big  >:(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
I would be totally P****d off too Mark.  That's not fair on her being in a cage for that long, even they must realise that.  :censored:
At least they are going to try and see her earlier with you commenting on it.  Am I right in thinking Alice is the one with cancer?  Sometimes the ladies at the vets are that rushed off their feet (I'm presuming, being diplomatic!) that they don't always think about individual needs of the cat or human they just think how can they fit everything into one day.

I hate leaving Smudge at the vet when he went for his teeth scraping (had to do it twice) - I would have to leave him at around 10.00 for the vet to see him at about 1.00 and they would give me a time to call back, but I would ALWAYS phone earlier to make sure he was ok.  They would have a good laugh at me and I knew he was ok in their hands cos I'd seen how they were with him, always extra caring cos they knew he was frightened and always pood in his carrier every time I took him for his annual booster.

I'm sure they will look after her Mark and I hope all goes well.

Mary  :luck:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Vet appointment times - why does Alice need to be there 6 hours beforehand?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »
As arranged, I got her there for 9am which meant dropping OH off at station. Feeding cat etc. Realised I didn't have much time so had a quick shave and thought I will have to have a shower when I get back  :sick:

I asked what time I can pick her up - explained that I am in the area early aftenoon as having lunch with Sharon today. She said Alice probably won't be seen until 3pm as non-surgical procedures are done last  :tired:

I made it very clear I was miffed and said really what was the point of bringing her in at 9am if she isn't being seen for 6 hours. The VN said "She'll be fine in a cage" - I said that really isn't the point and she would be far better off at home if she is just being left. Now in two minds as to whether to move my own cats over to them  >:(

She said she will try to get the vet to see her earlier so I can pick her up after 1.30pm - otherwise that is 3 trips to the same area in the same day  :tired:

Link to CatChat