Cat Health & Behaviour > For FIV & FELV babes

How to care for an FIV+ cat

<< < (3/17) > >>

carole1b:
No hes is just on tablets to help with his trotts. He seems ok today but yesterday and the day before he was sick. I will keep an eye on him and if sick again I will take him back to the vet. I am giving smaller portions of food more regular now

Schmew:
Hi Carole,

Glad Tabby is doing ok. Did he have an antibiotic injection before he went wobbly? I only ask as my first elderly FIV had a very strange wobbly reaction to antibiotic injections (for her gums).

carole1b:
Hello yes the vet was convinced it was his nervous system, however he now seems fine the injection has now worn off but the vet says if he wobbles again he will give him more steroids. He is eating well and gained some weight but still sleeps a lot and he looks a bit raggy but other than that he seems ok. His stools have formed up a bit as well so that will help in building him up. I relaise he is old and that I may not get the winter out of him but fingers crossed.

Turbogirlie:
Oh Carole, I am sorry that you had to go through that but so pleased the steroid jab pulled Tabby round.

Is the vet certain that it was his nervous system?  I only ask as our Fizz started stumbling, before we knew he had FIV, wobbling round like he was drunk.  That came on suddenly and very distressing to see.  We took him to our vet who took blood and found the poor mite suffering from Chronic Anaemia - RBC should be 30-45 and was dangerously low at 9.  He was put on steroids to boost his appetite which pulled him through.  Has his RBC been checked?  If not, it's gotta be worthwhile.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed for you. :hug:

Desley (booktigger):
Fingers crossed the steroid injections work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version