Author Topic: Awful news  (Read 52606 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Awful news
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2007, 13:04:02 PM »
I am Composed now  :rofl:

The fact Jasmine has used litter tray is fantasic, hopefully she will get the use of her legs back soon.
But even if she didnt it isnt going to matter that much as she is managing to pull herself around

Something i did wonder though, would it be a good idea to take the kittens with you next time ?
She has been away from them for a few days and sometimes that is long enough to break the bond

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2007, 12:58:07 PM »
Absolutely fantastic news!!!! I am so pleased for you and Jasmine. Big hugs and kisses to you both! :yesss: :yesss: :yesss: :ahh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
That sounds so much more promising - I'm delighted to hear about the litter tray  ;D.  Well done Jasmine, and well done you for your good work with the vet.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
That's fantastic news! I am sooo pleased for you and Jasmine!  ;D  ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2007, 12:26:22 PM »
Yeah, she got to it herself. Even the few minutes when I put her down after it happened, she moved quite a bit trailing her back legs behind her.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »
Karen that is wonderful  ;D
As she used her tray, did she walk to it herself?
Im so pleased to hear the improvement

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2007, 12:12:58 PM »
Great news Karen, She's over the worst of it so its wait & see now. Glad you got to see her - she knows she's not been abandoned  :Luv:

I hope your insurance is good!  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
What do you think?

The signs seem very encouraging.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2007, 12:09:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone  :Luv:

I do feel much better. As soon as I came out of the vets I came over really hungry, I haven't been able to eat really since Friday, so the appetite returning is a sure sign I'm feeling better.

I dunno why but I'm sure seeing me will have done her some good, spur her on in some way, I think  :Luv:

He didn't say how long she'd be there, just the bit about a week to a fortnight he'd expect her to recover. I didn't ask if I could visit regularly, but now when I want to I'll just go over and say I want to see her.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
Karen thats the best news thats she using the litter tray, ours in that situation has been 4 days and then only in a soil tray.

Keeping all positive thoughts for you both and it doesn't matter how long it takes to recover as long as she does and that she comes home to her Mum!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2007, 12:07:41 PM »
This is very optimistic news Karen. Big hugs honey. Xxx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2007, 12:07:38 PM »
Go Jasmine! :) She's such a little fighter, isn't she?!

I'm so pleased things look more positive for her. Hopefully, she'll go from strength to strength and be back to her usual self very soon.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2007, 12:06:15 PM »
That sounds really encouraging, Karen  ;D  Esp the using the litter tray.  I'm glad the vet seemed more friendly and helpful today.  Did the vet say how long he thought she'd have to stay there for?  And are you able to visit her regularly?  It sounds like she was really pleased to see you.  Fingers crossed she goes from strength to strength now  :hug:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2007, 12:02:17 PM »
Oh Karen!  I have tears in my eyes!  I am so glad Jasmine appears to be on the mend - that is such good news! I've been watching out for your post this morning and opened it with trepidation, and was so happy to see that things are looking up!  Big big hugs to both you and Jasmine, and I hope you take her home soon :)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2007, 11:56:10 AM »
awwww karen im sp pleased u got to see her for a bit  :Luv:
i think its a very good sign shes pee`d pooh`ed and has eaten food
awwww u must be feeling a bit better now hun  :hug: :hug: :hug:
hopefully soon u will be able to have her home even if it means she has to have compleate cage rest for a bit  :hug:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2007, 11:55:20 AM »
Karen i think this is all brilliant news.

I just know she is gonna make it
cant type more cant see  :'( :'( tears of joy
post again in min

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »
Well, got back about half an hour ago. She now has more feeling in her legs than she did on Saturday. She's poo'ed and peed in the littertray. She's eating as normal. I must say the vet was really helpful this morning.
I asked all my questions, at least I think/hope I did. I asked what exactly was wrong with her, and he said spinal damage. I asked how did they know this and he told me just by examination. Asked what was being done for her, he said she was being closely monitored (to which I felt like saying 'well she bluddy wasn't yesterday!  :censored: ' )
And that she's being given anti-inflammatory injections, which they try to limit as much as possible as there are side effects.

Asked if she was in any pain, and he assured me she's not. I asked him in his professional opinion what he thought of her chances, and he said you still couldn't say at this stage - but they need to say that, don't they?
But I said surely the progress she's made already, and the fact that she isn't incontinent must be very good signs, and he said they were.
I asked how long would it take a cat - if they are to - recover from these kinds of injuries, and he said it's hard to say, but it could be a week to a fortnight.

Then I just said I wanted to see her, and he said that was fine, he'd bring her to me. Brought her into the room and of course I cried straight away. Aside from her back legs no-one would know there was anything wrong with her. She was delighted to see me and purred as soon as I touched her. Rubbed her little head all over me and snuggled right up  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
He said he'd go and leave her with me for a little while, and he did for about 15 minutes. I gave her a good firm talking to, told her that I miss her, her babies miss her, and everybody's praying for her to get better, so she'd better hurry up and get well. I told her how much I love her and gave her lots of kisses, and snuggled her.

The vet came back in and we talked a bit more. I told him all about her and how much she's been through already. And I told him I've got a very good feeling now she'll get better. He gave me the usual don't be too complacent thing, but I really do have a good feeling about it now. What do you think?

It was soooo good to see her, but I hated to have to leave her there  :'(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »
Karen all fingers and paws crossed here for you and Jasmine :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »
Mee tooo sending all our love and prayers today hun  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2007, 10:43:38 AM »
I havent stopped thinking about you both since I woke up.................. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »
Thinking about you karen  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »
Good luck, Karen.  I hope Jasmine is doing well today and that the vet is helpful.  If you're not sure she's getting the care she deserves where she is don't be worried about asking for a second opinion or suggesting to the vet that she may be better off at an animal hospital or at home with you.   :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2007, 09:02:14 AM »
"Good Luck" to you and Jasmine......hoping and praying all is okay  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
I'm gonna go over there about 10, and I'm absolutely terrified. I'll post as soon as I can after and tell you all about it.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2007, 07:43:49 AM »
figners crossed for some good news today karen  :hug: :hug: :hug:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2007, 07:20:22 AM »
Are they keeping her pain free ?

They must be as that is the law.

To cut a long story short, there's been no improvement since yesterday,

I am so sorry, please remember that these type of injuries do often take time. my thoughts are with you as indeed I am sure  will all the members thoughts be too.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2007, 07:06:17 AM »
Good luck today Karen and fingers crossed Jasmine is more comfortable. :ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2007, 06:11:41 AM »
Good luck for today - thinking of you.

Be assertive!!

Re: the phone call last night - if it was anything urgent, he would have called again.

XXXXX

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2007, 00:09:31 AM »
Hi Karen, you must be in despair and I am just reading this. Reminds me of when the kittens were having a problem.

I think you need , if its possible, a vet that specializes with small animals rather than farm animals cos we have that problem here.

I now travel 50miles round trip to see the right kind of vet.

I know that you have a vet very close and there are others further away, is it possible to contact the other vets and see what care they will provide for Jasmine and also what visiting  you would be allowed.

Cats are not usually distressed by visits from thier owners and it actually helps them, with dogs the opposite is the case. I am worried as I am sure you are, what care Jasmine is getting and what effect in terms of stress this is causing her. I would dump this vet asap and get Jasmine to somewhere where she is going to get the care and attention she needs right now, even if it was to get her to a hospital a long way away, but knowing they would look after her 24/7 with the right attitude and give her a chance.

My heart is with you and my thoughts are with Jasmine, you and the kittens  :hug: :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2007, 23:46:03 PM »
Sending both of you lots of love and special kisses and thought tomorrow

prayers for you tonight too  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

xx

ccmacey

« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2007, 22:23:14 PM »
Hope she can recover and you get some rest Karen, stop worrying its not going to change anything just make you ill.

Sending all of my luck and  thoughts to you tonight x

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2007, 21:48:33 PM »
Just caught up with this thread. Sending loads of positive vibes to you both and wishing you all the best, big hugs  :hug:
x

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2007, 21:46:30 PM »
The best of luck to you and Jasmine tomorrow Karen - I can't think of anything to add to everyone else's (good) suggestions - just stay strong and don't let the vet bully you.  I know how hard it is tho hun, as I'm just the same as you :S  Find your voice (and that's Jasmine's voice too) deep down inside and don't agree to ANYTHING that you are not sure about.  My thought are with you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2007, 21:27:41 PM »
Karen hang in there honey. I know its easier said than done though. I have no idea what you must be going through at this moment so all I can offer is reassurance that we are all here for you, some have given you their numbers if you just need to talk (you have mine now too).

Be strong and make sure you stick to your guns tomorrow with the vet and insist on what YOU want done.

:hug: and kiss for Jasmine and all the babies

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2007, 21:20:40 PM »
Been having a mini heart attack for the last half hour. Had a missed call on my mobile when I was putting the kids to bed, from the vets. Rang the vet number and got his wife - again, and said that would've been her husband calling from the practise.
To cut a long story short, there's been no improvement since yesterday, apparently, and I'm to ring back tomorrow. That can't be good  :'(

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2007, 20:02:07 PM »
That's great, Sasha and Michelle. Will add all those things to my list.

They haven't done x-rays, cc, they planned to but then first he said she was swelling up so they wouldn't get good x-rays, and yesterday he said he doesn't think it's bone damage, spinal problems wont show on an x-ray, and she could do without being put under anaesthesia at this stage.

ccmacey

« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2007, 19:55:14 PM »
Have they done xrays? (sorry have just noticed this topic  :shy:)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2007, 19:53:35 PM »
Thanks, CC. They haven't really said what's the matter cos they don't seem to know. Spinal damage most likely.
Well, the vet's wife said I couldn't see her this morning, but we'll see once I go there tomorrow.

Things i would want to know :

1)
Spinal damage most likely -

How do they know this ?
What tests could be done to establish this ?
Are they different degrees of damage?
Is they any chance of improvement if it is spinal damage?
Are they keeping her pain free ?

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2007, 19:53:20 PM »
karen dont feel lke you shouldnt ask questions , because vets know what they are looking for and what they are going to do next in situations i think they assume you do too , or they think they wont baffell you with the details ,
i had this out with my vet and he agreed but i am a, need to know person from the wost sinareo to the best

go to the vets in the morn tell him you have come to see her , Dont ask ( shes your cat and your paying )
Go through how she has been
What is happening next and tell him when you will be ringing and visiting and when he has to ring you

Be firm and give her a cuddle and let her know your there for her

Best of luck tomorr
love sasha

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2007, 19:47:08 PM »
Thanks, CC. They haven't really said what's the matter cos they don't seem to know. Spinal damage most likely.
Well, the vet's wife said I couldn't see her this morning, but we'll see once I go there tomorrow.

Link to CatChat