Author Topic: Advice re feeding whilst I am away  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Advice re feeding whilst I am away
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 22:40:43 PM »
I have timed feeders but always leave bowls of biscuits in different rooms for them too.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 21:03:25 PM »
Thanks for the reasurance everyone - think I will just go with leaving them extra wet in the morning and giving them some when I get in - I'm just a stress head lol!! :rofl:

They have two litter trays - one of which they hardly ever use so they should be fine there. Likewise with water - I have about four dishes at different spots lol - just incase they forget about it!

I may well get a timed feeder though for another time - I am away at the end of the month for three nights and my brother has agreed to come in every night but at least witha timer he won't be pushed either and i can set it up for the first night I am away. With OH away its the best time to spend silly sums on the cats now then he doesn't know about it - would only have him moaning otherwise  :Crazy:

Thanks again folks

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 20:26:48 PM »
they'll be fine Rach... don't worry.  As BC said so long as they have dry, lots of water and the extra litter tray they will be fine.  If they don't usually get wet in a morning then give them that before you leave if it will help make you feel a little better or it will also help fill them up til later.

It wouldn't be the first time we've been away overnight and left out a couple of extra litter trays and they have all been fine.  :)  its natural to worry though :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 19:44:55 PM »
at a stretch, I have left mine for two nights, and they have been fine. As long as they are inside, have food and loooooooooooooots of water, they will be fine (Oh, and you might consider an extra litter tray ....!) ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 19:31:41 PM »
They will be fine! Either leave enough dry food out to last them, or put a pouch of wet food out before you leave.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 16:02:31 PM »
Will they learn how to use it by thurs   :doh:  They probably wont even notice your late, they have dry down so wont starve

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »
Thanks for all your advice.

They are not young - they are 11 lol!!  They prob would be fine being left, I just feel very guilty lol!

The earliest I can finnish work is 12.30pm and bus is at 2pm - my house is an hour by bus in the other direction! So I can't really pop home as I don't drive. None of my family or friends live near by - and they think I am cat daft enough as it is lol!

I might get one of the cat feeders though - I often am running about trying to make sure they get fed and that might solve all my probs. I am off work for the three days after the concert so can pamper them then to make up for my abscence! :wow:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:15:36 PM by caledonia »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Diddeen

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:07:38 PM »
Would you be able to pop home at lunchtime at all?
Ive left my cat for longer period before and just fed him when i got in.. im sure as you arent out all night that it would be fine to do that too  ;)

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:21:09 AM »
Do you have a neighbour or friend who could pop in and give them the wet food?

In the long term an automatic feeder is the way to go, I have a CatMate C50 which has 5 portions which can be set over a 3 day period, perfect for long weekends.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
As they're young still, I'd get an automatic feeder like the Catmate ones and use that set to the time you want them to have food out.  As you're back later they won't go without a meal and you won't worry.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Advice re feeding whilst I am away
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:24:55 AM »
Hello all,

I am away to se neil Diamond on Thursday which means I will be leaving from work and going straight to Glasgow and not back home until probbaly abotu 1.30am.

My two fluff balls are in quite a rotine and normally get fed when I get home from work - about 5.30pm every day.

Now the problem is that my OH is away just now so there is no back up to feed them - I have never really been more than an hour or two off their normal routine and just wondered if there were any suggestions - they will be left alone for nearly 18 hours - which is by FAR the longest they have been left alone.

They get dry food in the morning which is left out all day and also a pouch and a half of moist food at night. Should I just leave them out a pouch each when I leave before work in the morning and then feed them another pouch when I get in?

Sorry I am prob stressing over nothing...or folk I'm a bad meowy  :Crazy:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat