Author Topic: Councils policies on RTAs.... not as i had hoped  (Read 2241 times)

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Councils policies on RTAs.... not as i had hoped
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 09:59:08 AM »
Leeds doesn't check for a chip and keep very sketchy records which are pretty useless.   :'(

It's such a shame, but i've tried to think of how to combat this issue and come up against brick walls.

They do publish a list online but like you say it's pretty sketchy. Given the silly amount of money they spend on silly things here it really p*sses me off.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 18:28:17 PM »
Same in Vale of Glamorgan - when Minnie was missing for 9 days last summer, I was told to ring on the day before normal refuse collection day in my area and the binmen would keep an eye out ... I queried the fact that there are streets near us that have a different collection day and was told it was two different sets of binmen and it would be quite complicated to ask both sets to keep a lookout!!!!  And in Cardiff, my brother's cat was knocked down in Jan 2006 and they had a call at work from a neighbour to say that they had just seen someone put the cat's body out with their rubbish .. when they raced home, they found that the binmen had been and collected the bins but left the cat at the kerbside  >:( >:(

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 18:00:37 PM »
Leeds doesn't check for a chip and keep very sketchy records which are pretty useless.   :'(

It's such a shame, but i've tried to think of how to combat this issue and come up against brick walls.
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 17:53:12 PM »
Carmarthen are not interested  >:(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 16:39:40 PM »
I rang Bromley Council when this subject popped up last year on here.

Bromley DO NOT SCAN
but will keep a note if there was a collar on - "MENTAL note" i think because there didnt seem to be any proper records kept

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 16:21:44 PM »
I asked this question a year or so ago and got the response below...  I know Rosella had written to her council asking them to start scanning for a chip and copied my council's email to them so they could see that other council's managed it, would be interested to hear if she got any further.

This was the reply I got when I asked a few weeks ago....

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I was away when your first e-mail came through and have been trying to catch up ever since.

In answer to your enquiry, until recently, the council did not have any micro-chip scanners to use when responding to reports of dead animals (both cats and dogs the same).

However, we now have purchased a couple and our contractors are due to be trained (early Feb) in the correct use of these so they can in future scan the animals to see if they are micro-chipped. Until this training is carried out I cannot yet comment on the process of then notifying owners/the micro-chip company of the found animal.

Currently though, when our contractors respond to reports of dead animals a description is recorded and if the animal has an identification tag on the contractors will endeavour to make contact with the owner/details on the tag. Unfortunately, many of the animals found are not wearing any identification tags so they are unable to do anything other than record the description and remove the animal.

Due to storage capacity, our contractors cannot keep any animals found for later collection by the owners – the owner can of course collect the animal from the site it is found if this can be arranged between the owner and our contractors.

I hope this answers your question – but please come back to me if you have any further queries.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Councils policies on RTAs.... not as i had hoped
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 16:07:11 PM »
Hi all
After many calls and being told to ring back i have today found out what our councils policy is on regarding animal RTA deaths.

My main point was to find out if they check for a chip etc, if a log was kept and if any animal is taken to a vets etc..
On all those points its a "no"... Animals are reported by the public (this bit is logged) and the council men go out and pick it up, its not scanned, then then go to the local tip..

To me this seems completely negative to our chipping message... My request to the council would be if we were to "somehow" get them a chipping reader whould they use it..? Would they keep a log of not only the publics first call of the animal but also when they collected it.. We are never going to be able to do much with the unchipped animals but the ones that are are obviously much loved and there must be someone out their that would wish to know. This will give further clout to our chipping message.

Council cannot afford to supply bin men with readers so i am seeing if we can find other routes for funding this...

What do other councils do.. ? I would be interested in knowing...

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat