Author Topic: Leo  (Read 9472 times)

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
Re: Leo
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 16:29:25 PM »
None of mine are fully grown but Boopy's male kitten Starlight Express was over 5kg at 5 months old and very big in actual size, I think he's going to be a very big boy once he's been neutered and fully grown.

For comparison, my Egyptian Mau @5 was about 3KG.
My Bengal at 5 months should be around 3.75KG.

Starlight Express is a big cat.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 16:07:29 PM »
None of mine are fully grown but Boopy's male kitten Starlight Express was over 5kg at 5 months old and very big in actual size, I think he's going to be a very big boy once he's been neutered and fully grown.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 16:05:09 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: IM IN LOVE WITH 'Running Wild' i LOVE HIS COLOURING  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Why oh Why can't I have a spare ££ pot!!!

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 15:56:37 PM »
Running Wild is an absolute sweetheart and really in your face but there again all of my friends kittens are fab (they are 4 of Pinball's siblings). Never be fooled, NFCs can be hyper and with the size of them boy do you know about it when they go hyper!!  :evillaugh:

Team Svartalfheims, what sort of weight can we expect NFC to get to?
As an example, how heavy are your fully grown NFCs?

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 15:52:24 PM »
as you've decided to go with a rescue cat the people looking after them do have a fairly good idea of personality and if everything really does go pearshaped you can give them back which is hard but sometimes the only sensible option and at least you've tried

Thats what I was thinking. If things dont look to be working out, you can always return the cat to the rescue centre. It makes a lot of sense.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 15:51:28 PM »
True.. I know I would cry for days if that was the case!!  :'(

I will prehaps spk to them & see what they say.. thanks all

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 15:48:30 PM »
as you've decided to go with a rescue cat the people looking after them do have a fairly good idea of personality and if everything really does go pearshaped you can give them back which is hard but sometimes the only sensible option and at least you've tried

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 15:46:14 PM »
How often does it come about that cats just don't get on? If Leo had access to the outdoor world via cat run I don't think I would be as worried. I suppose im basing this only on Leo meeting my sis's dog which I suppose is a totally different situation.

I could take Leo over to my mums to see how he is with my other cat Marly.. but then I suppose it would be different as its not on 'his' turf. Plus Marly is quite old now so he may not appreciate it in the slightest!

Oh decisions.. Ive got a week off come August. If I were to get another it would be then so I was there to monitor the situation!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 15:39:41 PM »
all of mine were adults when I got them apart from tilly the bengal, its so much about personality, if you can find one that the rescue knows likes other cats you'll be fine I should think.  My Amber came from a house of 8 cats and loves them all but also keeps them in their place, she washes all their faces but will hit them on the head if they get too much - bit like a little mother hen!

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 15:37:01 PM »
ha ha thats good to hear..

So if I got a kitten would Leo be more likely to adapt better than if I got one slightly older I wonder?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 15:32:30 PM »
size makes no difference Lisa my Oscar is 6kg and is ruled by the velvet paw of Amber who is 3.6kg!! 

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 15:30:16 PM »
omg HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THEY ALL!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

I was thinking if I was to get another I would get a rescue from the local RSPCA Centre, but then there is always the chance that a normal domestic cat will be so much smaller than Leo thats where the bullying would start?

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 15:28:46 PM »
Running Wild is an absolute sweetheart and really in your face but there again all of my friends kittens are fab (they are 4 of Pinball's siblings). Never be fooled, NFCs can be hyper and with the size of them boy do you know about it when they go hyper!!  :evillaugh:

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 15:23:16 PM »
Team Svartalfheims, I like StarlightExpress. Ive also looked at your website and the availability of kittens.

http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk/Friends-with-kittens.html

Lisa77, how about,

"Running Wild" Silver Tabby and White Male, "This big and very outgoing boy really does live up to his name! When I visited he was busy throwing various toys down the stairs! This boy is ideally suited to a family with children."

And taken from
http://www.belleneigecats.co.uk/New%20Kittens.htm

"Running Wild is big boy, full of mischief but a big softy, he is affectionate and loves his cuddles!"

He sounds like he will be able to handle Leo, after he has grown a little bit. And dont forget Norwegian Forest Cats grow to a similar size as Maine Coons.

If I were after a big kitten, I think he would be the one I went for. Though I do have a preference for hyperactive cats.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 14:52:10 PM »
Boopy is a very dominant cat and so when I got Pinball I introduced him to her very slowly (it was almost 2 weeks before I would leave them unattended together) and she absolutely loves him now :)  Bilbo was scared of Pinball to start with bless him and kept looking at me with a worried look on his face as if to say 'Mummy what is the small furry thing that kept running underneath me and headbutting me?'  :evillaugh:

I am sure Leo would be fine with another cat provided introductions are taken slowly and the new cat is neutered as soon as your vet will do it as hormones can cause havoc with cats relationships.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 14:48:23 PM »
...most of the time but he really rules my roost.

Reflex used to be like that with me. He used to try and dominate me (aged 4 months). Demanding my attention, not liking me being on the phone. Biting, scratching, constantly jumping on my shoulders. As far as he was concerned, he owned me. He used to play very rough and as a result I used to play rough with him. He is not a gentle cat.

Once Mr Bengal arrived, all his attention was diverted to him and he immediately stopped biting/scratching and attempting to dominate me. Mr Bengal has improved Reflex's behaviour A LOT. He has gone from being a naughty boy to a responsible cat.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 14:30:42 PM »
Leo can be laid back but most of the time but he really rules my roost. Id love to get another though  :tired:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 14:22:27 PM »
My Maine Coon Billy is extremely laid back and takes everything in his stride.  With doing cat rescue I constantly have a stream of newbies come in and out and he has never hissed or attacked any.  I think most Maine Coons are pretty adaptable but it does depend on their temperament obviously as no two cats are the same.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 14:18:59 PM »
Im worried that as Leo is so territorial he just won't accept another one around.

I think it makes it harder that he is an indoor cat too.. are yours?

The last thing I would want is to have to re-home the newbie as Leo hates him so much.. It would break my heart. I suppose its always a risk whenever anyone introduces a new cat to the existing one/s.

From what Ive read about Maine Coons, they are very laid back and easy going. Is this true of Leo? If so, then I dont see that he will have any problems with another cat in the house. If you are worried, then you can make the introduction gradually, ie. keep them in separate rooms and gradually allow them to sniff eachother.

One thing with Reflex was that some times I used to see him, he used to look very glum and bored. He would sit in his bed with his head hanging over the edge, looking at me. He came from a breeder with a big cat family and I knew he wanted feline company. So I knew that dispite any early fighting, he would definitely appreciate another cat in the house.

When I introduced my 2, I didnt do it gradually, as I knew they were both young and even they fought, they wouldnt be able to damage each other as they just didnt have the power to do so. Also, as they were both similar ages/sizes, this helped, where one cat wouldnt get an overwhelming advantage over the other, during the introduction.

Reflex was getting aggressive at times and I could see Mr Bengal couldnt handle him. During these times, I would place Reflex in a cat carrier for 5 minutes, to allow him to cool off. Of course, a day later, Reflex was fine to share his territory with Mr Bengal.

My problem with Leo would be that he is a big cat and is probably pretty strong, so if a kitten were introduced, he could do damage, intentionally or unintentionally (he probably doesnt realise how strong he is).

Providing Leo isnt overly aggressive and is easy going, I dont see any problem introducing another young cat to the house. I think many stories you read on the forum are people getting overly worried.

As an example, the breeder I bought Mr Bengal from had cats of all ages and 3 different breeds. In particular, Mr Bengal's father was incredibly fit and strong. The fittest cat Ive ever seen. He was like a bodybuilder, mainly due to the fact that he had a HUGE cat wheel that he used to exercise on constantly. And even he was able to live with other male, un-neutered cats. They acknowledged that at times there could be territorial disputes, but these would sort themselves out within days.

Obviously some cats are totally mental. Reflex's father was like that and couldnt live with another cat in his cage. But thats the Egyptian Mau breed, which is totally different to Maine Coon.

Take what you read on a forum, with a pinch of salt. What does your gut tell you - can Leo handle another cat in the house or not? And if so, what age/breed would this other cat be?

As an example, Reflex is very aggressive and is very strong now. He struggles with me a lot when I hold him and is a lot stronger than the Bengal (who is bigger). If I brought in another cat, I would ensure that it was a physically strong breed - probably a Savannah - as these are taller/larger/stronger than Egyptian Maus, so eventually, Reflex would be unable to exert his dominance over it. I would also ensure that he was the most dominant of the litter - the runt might be too submissive and might get beaten up by Reflex. Mr. Bengal is fine with other cats, so I'd have no worries from his side.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 13:51:34 PM »
Thats interesting actually. Thats the one thing stopping me getting another cat. Im worried that as Leo is so territorial he just won't accept another one around. I think it makes it harder that he is an indoor cat too.. are yours? The last thing I would want is to have to re-home the newbie as Leo hates him so much.. It would break my heart. I suppose its always a risk whenever anyone introduces a new cat to the existing one/s.

Its great that they get on well now.. thats a lovely picture of them happily together  :Luv:

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »
When I went to the vet last she did keep saying "I hope you know how big this boy is going to get considering his size at 10 Months!" I can't wait to see what his full size will be.

Hehehe. I can imagine. He is definitely a large cat and will continue growing for the next few years.

How do your two get on together considering they are totally different Breeds?

They were introduced to my home 1 month apart, both when they were 3 months olds. Their ages are 1 month apart. We had a lot of territorial disputes for the first 2-3 days, after that it was plain sailing. But I learnt 1 thing and that is that Reflex (Egyptian Mau) can be very territorial and is an aggressive cat. The day Mr Bengal arrived, I saw him behave in ways Ive never seen him behave (very aggressively) and heard make noises Ive never heard him make.

This was taken on Day2 and was typical of what was going on whenever Reflex got close to Mr. Bengal:

By the end of Day3/4, Reflex had learnt to live with his new pal:

Mr Bengal submitted to Reflex pretty early on, but Reflex kept driving home his superiority. From that point onwards, I knew exactly what Reflex is capable of. Though he is smaller, he is very athletic (as you would expect from an Egyptian Mau) and quick. His father was exactly the same - so aggressive that he couldnt be kept with other cats as he would grip them behind the neck and drag them around the cage (he was a stud, so he was kept outside in a large cage).

The key thing was to match the personalities of the cats. Its no use getting a super athletic/aggressive cat and pairing him a submissive/slow/lethargic cat as this could lead to bullying and harrassment. This was why I went for an Egyptian Mau to go with the Bengal, as both breeds are very physical and active, so there wont be any bullying going on.

These days they get along very well, though Mr. Bengal is growing at a faster rate than Reflex, so it should be intersting to see if Reflex maintains his dominant standing.

I find that getting 2 different breeds makes life a lot more interesting as you observe how they grow at different speeds and sizes and see how they interact.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 08:57:40 AM »
His hair is getting thicker as he gets older, when he was yonger I didnt think for one second his tail & coat would blossom as well as it has. He has his summer coat at the mo & is still very big & fluffy!

When I went to the vet last she did keep saying "I hope you know how big this boy is going to get considering his size at 10 Months!" I can't wait to see what his full size will be.

How do your two get on together considering they are totally different Breeds?

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 23:40:25 PM »
He loves me lobbing the ball from my Living room all the way into my Bedroom (Flat) He will run as fast as he can, chirping all the way, pick it up in his mouth & bring it back! I'm also found playing catch with him from my bed at night & each & every time he will bring it back & drop it by my head 

Aaaaah, so he plays fetch. I have tried that with both of mine. Unfortunately, they will both run to the item have thrown, put it in their mouths, play with it a little, but wont bring it back to me.

Leo, of course, will continue growning till around 4yrs of age, so you can look forward to lots of eating.

That 4 month old photo shows him to have no mane and a very short coat. He looks cute in that one.

Your two are lovely  :Luv: Beautiful markings.  :Luv:

Thankyou.

We should do a swap one day. You take care of Reflex and Mr. Bengal for a couple of days and I will take care of Leo.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 23:41:21 PM by sunama »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 20:45:47 PM »
Leo howls for food too & would eat until the cows come home!

He's a growing boy - have you ever tried to feed a teenage boy - they can consume entire loaves at a single sitting!!! and tomato sauce! I swear they drink it - be grateful he just has a cat's appetite !!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 20:42:02 PM »
Leo howls for food too & would eat until the cows come home! The pic on the right was when he was about 4  Months If I remember rightly..the other at about 10 Months.(If Ive got them the right way round)

He does sleep allot but he is has his hyper moments also. He loves me lobbing the ball from my Living room all the way into my Bedroom (Flat) He will run as fast as he can, chirping all the way, pick it up in his mouth & bring it back! I'm also found playing catch with him from my bed at night & each & every time he will bring it back & drop it by my head  :evillaugh: He is definitely very intelligent (not that that means he actually listens to me!) He is very much like a dog & if he hears somebody at the front door or some other noise his head pops up in the air & he will run to wherever the noise is coming from!  :evillaugh:

Your two are lovely  :Luv: Beautiful markings.  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 19:48:41 PM »
Funnily enough he doesnt mind me brushing his tail.. its his belly & behind his back legs he hates!

You never interfere with a mans trousers :no no:  im not allowed to tidy taz's at all and i often see slugs stuck in them  :sick:

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 19:19:00 PM »
Thank you.

My favourite is Reflex (Egyptian Mau) as he has a lot more personality. He is definitely the alpha male, although he is smaller (by weight) than the Bengal.

I still wouldve liked a Maine Coon though.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 18:51:35 PM »
gorgeous cats Sunama  :Luv:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 17:02:28 PM »
Gorgeous cats Sunama!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 16:55:06 PM »
My own Egyptian Mau is quite quiet, though at feeding times he gets very vocal. My Bengal is a lot more vocal.

For 11 months he is a big boy. But then for a Maine Coon, thats to be expected, I guess.
I think we all have naughty cats, hehehe.

Those 2 pics in your signature - are those of Leo when he was younger?

Also, what is his activity level like? Is he happy to sit down, stroll around slowly all day or does he go into fits of activity, from time to time?

As an example, Egyptian Maus are extremely athletic, so I'm used to high activity levels. My Reflex is always up for playing games, even when he is sleeping and you wake him up. But he is very intelligent and if you should out, "NO", to him, he listens and stops immediately. He is EXTREMELY alert and doesnt quite seem to ever go into deep sleep. The slightest noise will get his attention and he will always investigate it. He eats A LOT and even after he has eaten is regular food, he is always on the look-out for something else.

Here's Reflex, aged 5 months:

My Bengal on the other hand is very mischievous and even when you tell him not to do something, he continues to do it, until you physically pick him up and put him out of the room. He is thick as 2 planks, when it comes to discipline. One of this worst traits is when he gets hold of a kitchen/tissue roll. He then puts his arms around it and proceeds to bite it and tear it apart. When you re-enter the room, you find white bits of toilet/kitchen roll all over the place.

Here's Mr. Bengal, aged 4 months:

The top pic of Leo in this thread is my fave. He looks very well groomed in that and his appearance makes him look like a lion.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 16:40:37 PM »

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 16:37:29 PM »
I know.. I tell him everyday how much of a pretty boy he is!!!!!  :evillaugh:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 16:34:07 PM »
He is so pretty!  :Luv:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 16:32:30 PM »
He was 11 Months in those piccies..

The breeder I got Leo from had Egyptian Mau's.. Am I right in thinking they are very vocal & loud?

I always wanted a Maine Coon for as long as I remember & Im so glad I did.. He is very naughty & has cost me my brand new sofa & living room carpet but I wouldnt change him for the world!

Funnily enough he doesnt mind me brushing his tail.. its his belly & behind his back legs he hates!

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 14:10:17 PM »
Grooming.. ha ha well.. as & when he will let me ! I do try a couple of times a week or the hair matts very easily!  :Luv:

His tail in particular, looks in fantastic condition and looks well groomed.

How old is he in the top picture?

My 2nd choice for a cat was a Maine Coon, to go with a Bengal, however, due to the long hair/shedding, I went with a short haired alternative and got an Egyptian Mau, instead. I still pine over Maine Coons though.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »
He is a Maine Coon & Yes he is HUGE!

Grooming.. ha ha well.. as & when he will let me ! I do try a couple of times a week or the hair matts very easily!  :Luv:

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 03:21:13 AM »
He is a large cat.

What breed is he? Maine Coon?

Do you groom him, if so how often?

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
First time my attention was all taken with Leo and I just noticed it now, we have exactly the same cutlery stand in the kitchen Lisa! Ikea?

And me!! Mine is by the sink with washing up liquid and the sponge in.

Anyway, Leo is such a handsome young chap, he is gorgeous  :Luv:
Emma

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 19:09:00 PM »
ha ha Ikea indeed!! I think everyone goes there when they move.. update things on the cheap!! Well spotted  he he

Thanks everyone for Leo's compliments he sends big Lion hugs  :Luv:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 10:05:01 AM »
First time my attention was all taken with Leo and I just noticed it now, we have exactly the same cutlery stand in the kitchen Lisa! Ikea?

Link to CatChat