Author Topic: Water obsession  (Read 4139 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: Water obsession
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 13:01:45 PM »
Our 2 Bengals are water mad, Mellika sits in the empy bath and wails until I turn the tap on and they both like to help with the washing up and have worked out that if they "stamp" on the kitchen tap it drips for them
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »
My Misha is obsessed, she will sit with her head over the water bowl for ages - always gets a ringing wet chest then comes and sits on you dripping wet!

Offline madpants

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Merlin the big fat black cat
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 16:48:25 PM »
Oh dear Dark Moon,

Glad you seem to have got the plumbing sorted out!  :sick:
You must be somewhere pretty cold at the moment? Where do you live exactly?
Its been a lovely sunny day here, and around 11 degrees celsius, so not too bad for January.
Love thy neighbour............. especially if they have cake!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 15:35:21 PM »
Hi Darkmoon, in case you were wondering about the prudery of censoring the word f.a.n.n.y.,  it is because here it means your personal bits, not your bottom so a bit more confronting all round...

Dark Moon

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 14:30:14 PM »
Hey MP - funny you should refer to my 'crappy week'........  My sewage line froze. Twice. Monday and Friday. Rather an appropriate bracketing for the week, as it turned out. But HEY! I came down this morning, flushed the silly thing (before doing anything) to see if it still worked and LO! It Worked! So maybe (knock wood) things are improving. Something in me says that it's pretty pathetic when watching the water swirl down the toilet makes the day start right. But maybe not. Cats likely have this too right. Watching water swirl down the toilet actually IS a wonderful thing! Trust me, I know.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 06:06:02 AM »
What a lovely post MP!  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline madpants

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 22:07:21 PM »
Hi Dark Moon

Sorry to hear that you've had a bad week! :hug:
Isn't it funny the different slang/language we all use! I forget sometimes that not everyone has a clue
what the hell i may be talking about :naughty:

But its good to have a giggle, and i do hope you didn't think it was at your expense!
If you want to talk more about your crappy week, please feel free to off-load. You know we're all here for you :hug:

Big hugs and kisses
Tracy and Merlin
xxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 19:44:44 PM »
yep same here, we used to leave the kitchen tap on slightly for cody to have a play but he has the place absolutely swimming so put a stop to it.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 19:05:14 PM »
I had a burmese cat who was so interested in water that she taught herself to flush the toilet so she could leap down to the seat and stick her head in the bowl to watch it rush away  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dark Moon

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 18:34:28 PM »
Thanks madpants. A different perspective is always welcomed.

It's been a bad week (one of my rare uses of understatement!) and my sense of humour deserted me. You helped me see the silly side of things again. Thanks.

But I will be infinitely more careful in the future (well, likely I won't. I will try, but careful is just not anything I have ever managed to successfully do in my life!)  For example, you all have set me to wondering whether I can ever mention Winston's nickname. We all speak the same language - except, in reality, we don't. Bad enough just from one side of this country to the other - but across oceans! No wonder I erred! Hard enough when one is supposed to know what eggshells to tip-toe around but when one doesn't.........

Anyway, thanks for laughing. It reminded me of what I should have done to start with.

Offline madpants

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 18:41:47 PM »
Hello peeps,

Can i just say that the whole  :censored: word thing has really made me chuckle! :rofl: (sorry DarkMoon, no offence intended!)

Do people out there really call 'it' their twinkle?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I've heard of some funny names: 'lady garden', 'flower', 'minnie' and so on and so forth, but twinkle is a good 'un! :wow:

Thats the best giggle i've had this past three weeks! :evillaugh:
God i love this web site :Luv:

Tracy and Merlin
xx
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 18:45:12 PM by madpants »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 16:27:35 PM »
Oh so it's like the whole c.h.o.c.o.l.a.t.e thing. I was wondering why DM's post made no sense to me. Now I know!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 16:21:20 PM »
Just a quick note all......

DarkMoon's cat's real name was "F.a.n.n.y" not Twinkle....silly for changing that word me thinks as we still allow willy? IMO of course  :tired:

Dark Moon

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »
Got a question....

The note I wrote said that Winston and twinkle were up there. It now says 'twinkle'. Twinkle is a nice name, but not hers.

There is nothing wrong with the name twinkle. I had a grand aunt with that name. My Mother gave this twinkle that name when I brought her (twinkle) to Mum from the humane society when Mum was so alone .... And it was twinkle who went with me to Mum day after day when Mum was dying.

Sorry for the rant. But.....

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »
If I need to entertain Leo for half hour its so simple ! I just turn on the bath tap slightly & he will play with the drips for ages ! He is ALWAYS sitting on the bath & will knock anything on the bath ledge ... into the bath ! be it shampoo.. my exfoliating gloves.. whatever.. (He does this with everything not just in bath.. ruined my sis's boyfriends mobile by purposely knocking it off the sofa right into his glass of squash  ooops !)

Also loves it if I put some scrunched up foil in a tupperwear full of water.. he will splash around in that for ages !  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:00:03 PM by lisa77 »

Dark Moon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »
I always have company when going to the bathroom. Mostly I think my cats are afraid I'll flush myself down the toilet or some such... but ...

(there is so much about this topic people might not want to know....)

The toilet is next to the sink. Winston especially and twinkle now too are up there ( a real trick as twinkle is a ... hmm... how to phrase this.... a  "Lady of generous proportions".)  It has become standard. I go 'there' and instantly turn on the sink tap because they will want....  Winston is a kitchen tap freak too....

I also have never bathed alone. Most recently it is Pixie. She is convinced that there are vicious fish-like things lurking there below water level. My toes take a bit of a beating! Ozzie on occasion wanders around the rim (not easy as  it is an old lion-claw tub with narrow rounded rims).  But even before him.... I have had several join me, unexpectedly, in the tub. Always distressing for all involved!

My Edgar - whose story will be posted elsewhere - had difficulties about a year ago. The vet told me at that time that he needed to drink more. Yes, o.k. - but HOW? As in 'you can lead a cat to water but...' Anyway, she suggested several things - one of which was to get a water 'feeder' with moving water. Well I did. Even those of my cats who never indicated interest in water from taps etc. before were instantly entranced. Some decided that it was foreign and, as such, needed to be swatted. Others simply watched and waited to see what this new thing would do. But now ... suffice it to say that my cats are all drinking lots more than before - and much of that is because of our lovely little moving water thingy.

I still share the bathroom, though.........

Offline madpants

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 20:16:29 PM »
Oh Den,
How i laughed when i read your post about your furry walking away with wet legs pretending to be macho! :rofl:
superb!

Tracy
xx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 20:16:15 PM »
Perfectly normal. My sister's cat has a routine. Sis gets home from work, Pippa runs upstairs and waits in the bath. Sis turns on tap for a trickle and Pipp plays with water. Obsession yes. Good for them yes. Running water is good drinking water  ;)

Exactly the same here. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »
Oliver doesn't seem to have much fear for water either.  The bathroom routine mentioned below from others applies to him on a regular basis, he likes to lounge around inside the bathtub and bidet, he would like to get into the sink too but this we managed to block his way by putting a big laundry detergent bottle at the corner he uses for his entry there, as we haven't installed a cabinet yet for little objects and they hang about around the sink surface including my contact lens kit, which I wouldn't want him to play with!! (well, most of the time... sometimes he mananges to get in anyway somehow still!!  :Crazy: Insistent booger!!)
Sometimes he gets in the bathtub directly after going to toilet, leaving the sand inside the bathtub, it was gross so we tried to discourage him by turning on the water while he was inside.  Instead of jumping out immediately, he just observed the running water calmly, letting his paws wet, then, when the tub got too wet to his liking, he sort of clambered out with all the tranquility.  He also hangs about by my feet while I am doing the dishes or using the water at the kitchen/bathroom, and splashing of the water doesn't faze him either.
I keep wondering if he may like a little dip on a hot summer day!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »
Have a water obsessed cat here. I get up go in the bathroom and he races in the bathroom and sits on the bath, then he races to the top of the toilet when I put the tap on so I can brush my teeth. He leans over and starts poking the water. He loves taps being on. Also he likes to watch baths being run .... although on Saturday he fell into mine  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: Then he went walking around the house looking rather macho whilst shaking his back legs as he walked.
He sticks his head or feet in my glass of water when I have one and he loves putting his toys in the water bowl  :-: Also I got him a cat water bowl which he ignores, instead he has always preferred the much larger dog bowl.

Oh and he likes to pinch water bottles too.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »
Riley is slightly obsessed too so nothing to worry about!  He paddles in the sink, tips his water bowl over, MUST be present when the toilet is being used and loves being squirted with a water pistol!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
Perfectly normal. My sister's cat has a routine. Sis gets home from work, Pippa runs upstairs and waits in the bath. Sis turns on tap for a trickle and Pipp plays with water. Obsession yes. Good for them yes. Running water is good drinking water  ;)

Offline Horizon

• Adult Cat
Water obsession
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »
Hi

I just had to ask whether anybody else's cat is completely obsessed with water? Alfie is intrigued with the stuff. He'll sit and watch me in the bath, sit in the bathroom sink watching a dripping tap, and don't even get me started when we are washing cars! I thought cats were meant to have a bit of a fear of water?

Link to CatChat