Cat General > Our cats stories

Say hello to Bruce

<< < (3/22) > >>

Desley (booktigger):
Yes, it is hard not to be impatient due to wanting them to be happy, it can be a tricky balance because we just want them to realise, but sometimes pushing has the opposite effect, which then makes us feel really bad. And you have the issue that he has inappropriate weeing as well as ‘quirks’. At least he has a loving owner willing to put the time in, things will improve with time, but it just might not be what you get with a cat you’ve had from a well adjusted background. Hope the Zylkene and his meds help too. I did nearly take Buster back because of his weeing, I’d been away shortly after getting him, and he wee’d on something different everyday for a week, the last day I smelt it as I walked in, but couldn’t figure it out till I went to bed and found a damp patch!! It was only because we were waiting on test results I didn’t, he improved after he became an only cat, but never fully stopped - a lot of his was when he couldn’t get his own way. He was hard work the entire time I had him, but I knew that he would live his life out in rescue if I didn’t persevere (he wasn’t up for homing due to a supposed liver issue, it’s only because I know the rescue), and when he developed an unusual health condition, I’m not sure he would have had as long as he did if he’d still been with the rescue. Bruce would likely be the same, between his disability, health and behavioural issues and colour. 

Sue P (Paddysmum):

:evillaugh: 

The cottage sounds lovely - I grew up in something similar.  We were fortunate that we lived there for approaching 18 years, but for my Mum it was frustrating - Landlord wouldn't spend any money.  property was damp, draughty, no kitchen to speak of, and no central heating or double glazing, but as kids, we adored it.  It was a dream of a place.  Quirky, unique and "home."   :)

Renting of course limits your options with pet companions.  Wouldn't it be lovely if you could win the lottery and buy your dream home?   ;D  Sometimes, I give myself different imaginary lottery sums and then scout the property websites for likely purchases.   :rofl:

Dawn, just think how differently things might have ended for Willow if you hadn't gritted your teeth and been an absolute star for holding on.   :hug: :hug:

jezebel:

--- Quote from: Sue P (Paddysmum) on September 19, 2018, 14:34:59 PM ---
As for the cat trees - if you don't have space, you don't have space.  You can only do so much within the limits of your average home.  [Now you're gonna tell us you live in a 7 bed mansion with acres of grounds.....?]  :evillaugh:

--- End quote ---

:rofl: Oh, I wish - Bruce could have his own suite then, and I'd have staff to clean up all the pee!

Nah, we rent a terraced Victorian cottage (which means tiny and annoying). I'd love to move somewhere bigger but there's not much on the rental market round here we can afford.

dawnf:
when tilly was small she got into the habit of peeing on our bed, unfortunately we had to start shutting her out of the bedroom until the habit was broken, which it was but it was a few weeks before we could let her back in again

if I had had a place to take willow back to I would have done it without a doubt, oh on the other hand!  anyway she has come around nicely now but still has the odd flash when you have to stay clear!  as she had passed through the hands of several members of my family I know just why she was so difficult!!

Sue P (Paddysmum):

Lord, I know the feeling all too well.   :evillaugh:   :hug: :hug:

It's really tempting to want things to progress at our own pace, and to be frustrated when it doesn't, or to be convinced we're doing something wrong (and usually we are from the cat's perspective, we just have to try and figure out what that is - not always easy!)   

We nearly took the gurlies back to the shelter after 3 weeks because we didn't think we'd be able to get anywhere with them.

We'd tried to get them into a cat carrier to get them to the vet for their vacs, and OH nearly lost an eye, and we both ended up with lacerations up and down our hands, arms, neck and faces.   :doh: :doh:

We just didn't realise how much we'd taken on, or how to measure progress.  I feel like I've moved on a whole lot in terms of what they've taught us since then, and I still know next to nowt!   :rofl: :rofl:

I would stress too that the gurlies weren't vicious cats (though we nicknamed them The Velociraptors for a spell.  ;))  They were terrified cats. 

And scaredy cats can react in all manner of challenging and creative ways to get our attention and help us to help them put things right.   It may not feel like that's what they're doing, but they are.   

And sometimes the most innocuous of events can send them hurtling right back to DANGER in their mind's eye.  It may not be apparent to us - like Desley said about sneezing - but to them it's a signal - a trigger their very survival is dependent on them doing a specific thing.  Whatever their "thing" is.   :shify:  (we really should have a peeing cat emoji, Tan)

As for the cat trees - if you don't have space, you don't have space.  You can only do so much within the limits of your average home.  [Now you're gonna tell us you live in a 7 bed mansion with acres of grounds.....?]  :evillaugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version