Author Topic: Cutting claws - Updated - we did it.  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cutting claws - Updated - we did it.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 18:35:17 PM »
My lot scratch more when i clip, they are keener to sharpen them back up  :tired:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
Well we finished off Milo's claws on Saturday and he was totally unfazed  ;D
Jess wouldn't allow us to clip any more than his front claws, however I was looking at his back ones yesterday and his totally split one quite badly there was blood, his not limping though. I'm going to keep an eye on it but that might be why he was funny about letting me touch them when usually he likes a paw rub.

Anyway since we've done it there has been no sofa scratching, maybe I should have done it years ago and it may have saved the sofa and arguments with Hubby  :(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 09:53:05 AM »
Much easier to be able to do it yourself than the stress of the vets - I couldnt do Kizzy's when she first came, but one vet visit later, and she has allowed me to do them since, although she wriggles more than anyone else. The girl's claws are a struggle, as they are very thick and dont like me peeling them. I use nail clippers as the ones i bought from the pet shop were awful, and dont want to spend £12 on the nice ones at the vets
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 23:41:19 PM »
Please will you come and do the two piranas for me. they used to be Ok with clipping claws but no more grrrrrrrr

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 22:30:45 PM »
Great news  ;D ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 22:27:59 PM »
See! I knew it would be a doddle for you as they are used to their feeties being touched!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 22:26:36 PM »
Fantastic.  :hug:

:yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Re: Cutting claws
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 22:21:01 PM »
Well i got the clippers on the way home, was showing Hubby them and had Milo in my arms showing him where I was going to cut when we decided to go for it, and Milo just let us. We did one whole paw when he got restless so I let him go. I picked Jess up and he let me do a couple of nails too. We're going to try the rest tomorrow I didn't want to over do it, but at least they are happy for us to do it and we didn't need to towel them.  :wow:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 20:16:13 PM »
I love oldies claws, they dont shed as well and you get to 'peel' them, ooo lovely  :innocent:

You're not right! :evillaugh:

Dave has let me do them in the past but he's a big soft lump so not too much of a challenge, if they get squirmy I just do one foot then let them go and do the other later. Chilli can be more of a challenge, you have to get them in the right mood really. I just used toe nail clippers, I may invest in some proper claw clippers though as the cut I used to get was a bit ragged.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 19:46:11 PM »
I love oldies claws, they dont shed as well and you get to 'peel' them, ooo lovely  :innocent:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 19:13:43 PM »
Coincidence, I was in a cat shop in York today and bought some clippers.  I've never it done myself before - keep saying I will, my vet showed me how but she used to do Schui's (they were so thick she had to use dog ones) but he really yelped he hated it.  I had to get them done because if they got long he used to get distressed if he caught them.  I think Byron will be ok with it and hers are much finer than Schui's were, not sure about Pep though he hates being manhandled!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 19:00:15 PM »
I also use human toenail clippers and find they give a better cut than some so called 'professional' ones I used to get from grooming supplies. I only do front claws, rarely back ones.   ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 17:12:44 PM »
Just take the tips off til you feel safe doing it!
Also find yourself a small pair of purpose made claw clippers, they give a smooth cut and are easy to hold. I only used human nail clippers the once and the cut i got was no where as nice then with pet ones such as these
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/care_grooming/nail_clippers/13361

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 15:13:41 PM »
I used to Max's just fine, Poot is a bit more of a challenge, but he's learning  :naughty:

I use nail clippers also, much easier  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 15:10:46 PM »
Mine don't like it and grumble a lot but they don't bite, so I just get it done as quickly as possible.  I sit on the floor (on my heels) with the cat sat wedged between my knees and facing outwards.  My arms hold him in place too.  Left hand holds the paw and presses on the paw pads to expose the paw while the right hand does the clipping.  Mosi tries to crouch down and wriggle away so I usually end up pinning him to the ground and just getting them done!  Jaffa just complains loudly.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 14:47:58 PM »
You cut them the same angle that you cut your own nails.... not sideways as this causes them to split... But Im sure you know that now!  :innocent:

Best of luck! I really dont think you will need it though as you are already 3/4 of the way being able to touch their feet!  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 14:44:01 PM »
Thanks everyone, our VN at work has told me how to do it properly and how much to take off, I'm just  :censored: myself thinking about doing it. Both boys are okay about having their feet and paws touched but how this will go down I don't know!!

Wish me luck!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 14:27:23 PM »
My Yagga (or is that me!  :innocent:) has a foot fettish and he loves me clipping his nails!  :evillaugh:

Have you ever thought about buying something like this?  :innocent:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 14:11:57 PM »
I am afraid i take mine to the vet - Only Smartie likes his feet being touched and i am too scared i will hurt them what with all the struggling !

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 13:36:46 PM »
Belly rub :shify:

Not worth losing an eye  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 13:34:15 PM »
Aw, naughty Lexi  :naughty:

Must admit, Bonnie doesn't ALWAYS stay still but after a good belly rub she is usually putty in my hands  :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 13:18:48 PM »
I use the toe nail clippers and I do it when she's laid on the bed and I'm rubbing her belly and she's all relaxed and then just slowly and gently stroke her paw and rub my finger inbetween her toes and get clipping. 

Will you come do Lexy's then :-: ;) If I touch her toes she wants to relocate my fingers.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 13:16:42 PM »
i was scared silly that I was gonna hurt Bonnie but I didn't. 

I use the toe nail clippers and I do it when she's laid on the bed and I'm rubbing her belly and she's all relaxed and then just slowly and gently stroke her paw and rub my finger inbetween her toes and get clipping.  She probably knows what I'm doing but knows I won't hurt her.

Just make sure you don't cut down too far, I hold the clippers to the side rather than straight across like you would do a human nail.

Good luck.

Mary

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
Hun I'm learning my lesson. Lexy wouldn't be in her situation right now if I had clipped her claws. As she's so tough to handle I just haven't and she's kept them well enough for over a year without clipping on her scratcher. However, she did catch one and has injured herself. Considering Jess, who like Lexy is prone to cystitis, any stress relating to injuries may not help (I'm constantnly on litter tray watch right now). I'd do it if only for your peace of mind.

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
 ;D  Go for it!  I cut the claws on my Mum's house cat Jess, and when necessary on my own cats.  It's not too difficult if the cat is used to being handled.  If you get it on your lap comfortably and secure it gently with your left arm ( or t'other if left-handed) and gently press the paw so that the claws come out, then you can snip a little off each one.  I suggest only a little on the first attempt so the cat gets used to it, and until you can tell how much to cut off.  If you go too far the claw may bleed a little.  I use some little scissor shaped clippers.  I also have some with a guard to prevent you cutting too much off.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Cutting claws - Updated - we did it.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »
I am thinking that the boys might need there claws cutting.

To be honest I am really reluctant to do it but we've noticed that both have them have been chewing them lots and you can hear a clip clip noise when they walk across the laminate flooring.

They have 3 scratch posts and a tree and they are all well used (as is our sofa).

I'm just not sure about doing them myself and don't really want to go to the vets to have it done.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 22:21:46 PM by Leanne »

Link to CatChat