Author Topic: Biccies etc  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
Re: Biccies etc
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
Haha... excellent!

Thanks for all then help guys!  ;D

Personally I think the Hi Life might be resonsible for Drum's very unlady-like farts but as long as she enjoys it  :naughty:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 00:11:14 AM »
so I took it to my local RSPCA shelter. The lady looked at me like I was trying to pass rancid 'foreign muck' onto them as the packaging is all in German.

:evillaugh: (mind you, I DID open a seriously rancid carton of Bozita once, a friend had given me some cartons as her cats wouldnt touch it - I knew why when I opened that one lol!)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 00:06:55 AM »
In the meantime Bass has A LOT of variable german cat food to eat  ;D

:evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

I feed my boys Bozita chunks in jelly cartons which they love so got some pate ones for them to try, they didn't like the pate at all so I took it to my local RSPCA shelter. The lady looked at me like I was trying to pass rancid 'foreign muck' onto them as the packaging is all in German. I don't think she believed me when I said it was actually a good quality high meat content food!  :innocent:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 17:24:16 PM »
The only complementary Hi Life are the little Perfection tins (strangely, the Perfection pouches ARE complete - all these others
are complete:

Hi Life Petite Pate
Hi Life 60% Real Meat/FIsh pouches
Hi Life Potty About Meat/Fish
Hi LIfe Perfection (Pouches)
Hi Life 70% Tuna Flakes in tins
Hi LIfe Essential (Pouches)
Hi LIfe Cherish Tins

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 14:59:46 PM »
Super, thanks Susanne.. I will give them a good read tonight.. I usually buy a pack of the meat puches and a pack of the fish pouches but was concerned the fish weren't complete so will check...

In the meantime Bass has A LOT of variable german cat food to eat  ;D

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 14:52:14 PM »
Some hi life are complete and others are complementary so check the packaging carefully.  They also have different names in different retail outlets!  Hi life essentials is complete and Asda sell the tins and Morrisons the pouches.  I think the tins are the same as the tins of petit pate but can't remember whether the latter is complete - I assume it will be if it is the same as the essentials.  The tins of fishy stuff are complete I think.  The other hi life pouches are mostly complementary but tbh these days the only hi life I really buy is the tins from asda as mosi lives them and they are complete.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 14:10:33 PM »
Hey All

A quick question again on this, since posting this thread I have been  on a full on food trying journey :)
We have tried grau, bozita, animonda carny etc on the girls trying to get them the best wet food.
Unfortunately, whilst Bass eats EVERYTHING in front of her, Drum just isn't interested. She's so fussy! The only thing I can get her to eat is Hi Life.

So, is Hi Life ok? I know it's not as good as say grau, but I think it'd better than whiskas or felix? Am I right? They both eat any biccies I feed them which at the moment is either Encore complete or bozita indoor.

Are the fish hi life complete as well as the meaty ones?

:thanks:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 08:12:21 AM »
Thanks all of you  :)
These are hugely helpful suggestions, I shall get out this weekend and check out the options I reckon, thanks for all the clarification around teeth and complete wet food. The vet the RSPCA used advised a dry diet purely because of the slight gingivitis but it just doesn't seem right to me for growing kittens, I'd much rather they had a little wet....

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 18:59:49 PM »
I am going to try them on Hi Life as it has a better meat content, and have read some good things about it (please correct me if I'm wrong though!)

My question really is around biscuits... the kits have slight gingivitis, mostly from teething, and I was advised a dry diet but I don't really think that's very healthy so have been giving them wet with biscuits on top for their gums.

Yes, Hi life is pretty good with regard to meat content  :)

By the way, dry food doesnt keep teeth clean, you are better off feeding raw chicken wings like FC suggested, or raw/cooked chunks of meat for them to grind for teeth cleaning and jaw strength.  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 18:10:06 PM »
Yes the wet encore is complementary.  As long is it doesn't make up too much of the diet that shouldn't be a problem.  I feed Encore/Applaws/Almo Nature a couple of times a week and they do  have a few other complementary foods in the rotation but I make sure they get mostly complete.  Good wet foods that are complete are hi life esentials/petit pate (Asda sell the hi life essentials tins 4 for £1), bozita, animonda (zooplus), butchers classic (cereal free and available from most supermarkets), Claude (pouches from Tesco - only £1.99 for 12 pouches but contain no cereal/vegetable matter), Nature's Menu (pets at home, Jolleyes, online - not sold in supermarkets).  I sell a variety of foods from zooplus but I can't remember off hand which are complementary and which are complete. 

I feed Jaffa (wet only) 3 85g - 100g tins/pouches per day.  Mosi gets half that amount of wet with a little dry food sprinkled on the top of each feed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 18:11:51 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 16:48:30 PM »
Yes you are right Bee.  I just rang their customer care line and they confirmed the wet food is complimentary altho the dry is complete. 

TBH I usually give complimentary foods only as a treat but what do I know?   :-:  Much will depend on the amount of dry food they are getting in addition to the wet.  Other peeps on here will advise better than I can.

Our lot each have about 1 1/2 pouches of basic wet cat food (mainly Felix) each day which equates to about 150g but in addition they also have a sprinkling of Hills Science Plan dry biscuits at bedtime and a small plate of cooked chicken around 9pm.  5 out of the 7 of them would still eat the hind legs off a donkey as well if I let em  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 16:49:24 PM by Rosella moggy, Reason: spellin\' »

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 15:30:36 PM »
So... sory to open this again. I have given the gir Encore and they love it! Eat it in one sitting  ;)

However I have read that this is not a complete food. I didn't realise this. I am currently feeding the girls a 70g tin between them in the morning and the evening along with Encore complete bisuits also (they are 11 months old, aren't huge eaters and are indoor only)

Am I underfeeding them? Should I be including something else in their diet also?

Bee

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 18:36:27 PM »
Thanks so much for all the replies guys, I think I'll sample encore on the girls as we get weekly sainsburys deliveries anyway & see how they take to it but will introduce slowly... I have one fussy girl and one who wolfs anything and then still has her head in the BBQ bag so we shall see! I have a great list to work with though so thanks for all the tips :)

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 18:26:25 PM »
fish4cats is another grain free food that is good [but can only be bought from them direct].     
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 18:21:07 PM »
I've tried pretty much everything out there - apart from call of the wild - will put it on the list!

at the end of the day for me it comes down to what they will eat and in my  house it is royal canin everything else one might eat but I really need something all four will eat so I stick with rc

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 18:15:31 PM »

In my opinion the best dry foods available are Taste of Wild, Acana and Orijen (all available from Zooplus) if they are within your budget.

I'd recommend raw (must be raw) bone in chicken wings for teeth  :shy:

totally agree mine eat mainly wet  Bozita and Grau and some Origen biscuits as well.     Much better than many dry foods that are full of grain that are so called 'premium' brands, and have a lower meat content.     
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 18:24:18 PM by cazzer »
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 17:55:26 PM »
With my lot, I never have a problem getting over £19 on Zooplus!!!
I swear by Royal Canin (Not just cos I'm a nurse, however). Tried mine on James Wellbeloved and Arden Grange, and there was always some left in their bowls. As I have ten cats, and because the royal canin ain't cheap (thank goodness I get discount!), I mix it with whiskas dry to bulk it out, but it is still mostly Royal Canin, and they all love it. My older girl, Nina (approx 13) had pre-renal blood results, but after a few months of the Mature Royal Canin, her bloods are all normal again! (I know your's is just a baby, though!) I would always say to clients that come into the vets 'go for the best you can afford', and never (I know I should) push food products on them.
Dry diet it good! My lot all get three meals a day, only having 2 sachets of wet on their tea between ten of them!
LIz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 17:25:19 PM »
Encore is available from Sainsburys and Waitrose - I don't know whether any other supermarkets are stocking it but it seems to be the version of Applaws made by the same company for supermarkets.  To begin with it seemed to be only available at Sainsburys so I suspect they had an exclusive deal with them for a limited time period.  Now I seem to see it cropping up all over the place which implies that if there was such a deal, it is no longer valid.  So I wouldn't be surprised to find that cropping up in other supermarkets soon.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 16:50:00 PM »
Do you have a Pets at Home near you? The Pets at Home premium (in silver bags) is very good value and has a decent meat content. James Wellbeloved is another that has a decent meat content and is hypoallergenic etc etc

James Wellbeloved sell small bags to try and will even send a free sample if requested. My boys LOVE the duck ones and the lamb ones - haven't tried the fish or turkey ones yet.

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/natural_cat_food/duck__rice.aspx

Whatever you decide to switch to, make sure you do it veeeeeeeery slowly to avoid any tummy upsets!

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 15:38:42 PM »
Super! Thanks so much for the help guys  :)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 15:27:19 PM »
Orders over £19 are delivered free ;) I'd also recommend Bozita and Adnimonda Carny wet food available from there.

Encore is available in Sainsbury's. I would say most other foods available in the supermarket are of far lower quality.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 15:20:48 PM »
Thanks both, I'm absolutely not adverse to ordering from Zooplus if needs be but does anyone know of any good quality supermarket products? This would save on delivery charges as I could get it delivered with the shopping  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 14:34:54 PM »
The above plus Applaws and Encore.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 14:29:52 PM »

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 14:08:12 PM »
In my opinion the best dry foods available are Taste of Wild, Acana and Orijen (all available from Zooplus) if they are within your budget.

I'd recommend raw (must be raw) bone in chicken wings for teeth  :shy:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
Biccies etc
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 13:50:51 PM »
Hello

Sorry if this has been asked a squillion times, it seems to sort of thing that might have been but my forum search keeps failing  :-:

I am about to move my kittens from their stash of biccies and whiskers kitten food that came with them from the RSPCA as they are now approaching a year, and anyway, I hate Whiskers!

I am going to try them on Hi Life as it has a better meat content, and have read some good things about it (please correct me if I'm wrong though!)

My question really is around biscuits... the kits have slight gingivitis, mostly from teething, and I was advised a dry diet but I don't really think that's very healthy so have been giving them wet with biscuits on top for their gums. Can anyone recommend good biccies? There seems to be a lot out there on the nutrient contect of wet food but not so much on dry?

Bee

Link to CatChat