Author Topic: Jess says, dogs are ok, but no cats please!  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: Jess says, dogs are ok, but no cats please!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 00:30:04 AM »
Hi Isobel!

You would need to introduce any new cat to Jess very slowly regardless of if its a kitten or cat. If you introduce gradually then they should get on or at least tolerate each other. I kept newbies in the spare room, first worked on swapping scents (so stroking the newbie & gettin her scent on me then going out to the others and rubbing her scent on them and the vice versa). I then would bring the newbie down to the living room for short periods of time then increased the time, always fully supervised, until both cats felt more comfortable around each other. There is normally a few spats because they have to work out their own hierarchy. Feliway diffusers also help...they emit cat pheromones to help calm and create a happy environment.

It may be the case the Jess doesn't like other cats, some cats prefer to be only cats and the two dogs may be her limit.  The fact that you got two cats may have also be a bit overwhelming for her. Can I ask your reasons behind getting another cat?

Steff

P.s. There is some good info regarding intros...I will see if I can find it for you :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Isobel

• Kitten
Jess says, dogs are ok, but no cats please!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 18:52:33 PM »
I did try to introduce two twelve month old male cats to her (both neutered) and she was just like  :censored: >:( and one of them a ginger and white named Parsnip was really dominant over her - when they went out, Parsnip would just stand at the door like he was trying to prevent her from coming in. I decided to send them both back to the owner. I've been wondering whether she would accept a younger kitten more readily, perhaps a 7-8 week old one, but I work full time, and the RSPCA won't let me take one (they had loads of the little darlings when I went to look in Halifax RSPCA centre). I was lucky when I found Jess as she was at an age that they would let me take her and she had had experience of a small dog, which in turn made her  accept my two golden retrievers a lot more easily. (BTW they live with my mum for the week so they are seen to during the day)
Is it possible to have a kitten and work full time? I'd sooner have a dog, but I think cats are easier as they can be left all day to their own devices, but what about kittens?

Link to CatChat