Author Topic: Dematting tips please!  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Dematting tips please!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 23:50:18 PM »
Sometimes if you cut across the end of the mat with scissors its easier to tease out the rest. Otherwise, used very carefully, you can use the scissors to snip where the mat meets the skin - a strand or two at a time until you've cut through the whole mat. Or, you could try these little battery trimmers, they'll work on small knots but not hug mats http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Pocket-Trimmer-Battery-Rubberised/dp/B000HC2MDE . It might be a good idea to keep the bottom area trimmed fairly short anyway. I would normally comb/brush over the whole body to get a new cat used to that before tackling any major hairdressing LOL!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 22:23:55 PM »
I agree with Gill - PM Gillian, she will be happy to help.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 20:50:03 PM »
They're really soppy with regards to stroking, not tried picking them up or doing anything with them 'cos they've literally spent the whole day travelling so are worn out and i thought they should settle in before i start messing about with them. :Luv2: They've let me have a feel of the matts and one i think is a pooey lump :sick: so really does need to come off.

I've done lots of grooming on dogs but that's obviously easier cos they can be held on leads and if need be muzzled! i'm happy to hack at them with the scissors, it won't win any beauty competitions but i'm fairly sure i could do the job, just after any tips to make it a little easier and as stress free as possible for all of us. :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 20:48:44 PM »
I have small face scissors and bigger round ended for snipping matts but only use on a cat you have full control of, one wiggle and you can cause a nasty wound  :(
Small knots can be gently combed out, most cats seem to be sensitive about their trousers being tidied  :tired:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 20:44:47 PM »
I did try googling for you Beth but kept coming up with US sites; one partly refers to declawing  >:( >:( >:( so thought it best to wait for Gillian to come to your rescue  :scared:  Are you able to cut the mats out?  I mean how easy are the 2 newbies to handle?

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 20:41:28 PM »
Why dont you pm gillian as am sure she will be pleased to give advice  ;D

Thank you, have done. :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 20:35:55 PM »
Why dont you pm gillian as am sure she will be pleased to give advice  ;D

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Dematting tips please!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 19:30:11 PM »
My two new fosters ( :Luv2:) unfortunately both have a few mats on their back leg fur, and obviously tisn't very comfortable or hygenic for them so i'd like to sort it ASAP but to date i've never even had to brush a cat :-[ so any tips would be gratefully received. (Hoping Gillian or someone else with experience of cat grooming will see this! :evillaugh:)

Link to CatChat