Author Topic: Need some advice from you lovely cat people !!  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Need some advice from you lovely cat people !!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 16:47:55 PM »
Just make sure all fireworks have been let off before letting him go  ;D
When you find where he has sprayed clean it with either simple solution (from PAH etc) or biological washing powder followed by a spirit. This will ensure all the proteins are broken down so he cant smell them out.  :sneaky:

Also if your thinking about a collar and id tag make sure it has a safety release feature and that any bells cant trap a claw. The collars with an elastic insert dont always snap when needed so a breakaway clasp is the best option, if you chose for him to wear a collar.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »
Sounds like Thomas is getting itchy feet to get out :evillaugh: but it is far too soon to let him :(
can you keep him confined to the kitchen while you are out ?? just until he is really settled in ??
that way you wont have too much area to search if he has a wee.
My Hamish was terrible for trying to get out, meowing all the time, ripping up the carpet and
hanging from the door handle looking out the keyhole :evillaugh: never had any problems with weeing though :sick:
but with persiverance it paid off, and soon the thought of going outside did not appeal to him ;D

have a little patience that is the key ;)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »
Betsy, you can get the Feliway from Vet UK, which is an excellent source of competitively-priced veterinary stuff.  If you go through one of the rescues, they get a donation from Vet UK at no extra cost to you.  See www.pawsinncats.com for example.

You can get diffusers as well as the spray.

:Luv:
Thanks  :)
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
Betsy, you can get the Feliway from Vet UK, which is an excellent source of competitively-priced veterinary stuff.  If you go through one of the rescues, they get a donation from Vet UK at no extra cost to you.  See www.pawsinncats.com for example.

You can get diffusers as well as the spray.

:Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 20:13:15 PM »
for him to be that keen to get outside, I reckon you have another cat coming to the door and chatting to him through it. The other cat may not be neutered, and he is feeling threatened - hence his need to mark his own territory and to get outside so he can hunt down and have a 'word' with the other cat. Keep him inside for at least two more weeks, and when you let him out do it on a day when you will be home all day, so you can supervise him on short walks, as he finds his way around. I had a neuter who sprayed, but only because there was a particularly mean tom in the neighbourhood who use to return the compliment in the front porch.
Thanks - yes he has seen another tom cat outside that has 'upset' him so to speak !  and hes up at the window all day and meowing at me to open the back door.. so i will keep him in for another 2 weeks - so New years day he can go out !!  just hope he stops the spraying.. :scared:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 19:07:30 PM »
for him to be that keen to get outside, I reckon you have another cat coming to the door and chatting to him through it. The other cat may not be neutered, and he is feeling threatened - hence his need to mark his own territory and to get outside so he can hunt down and have a 'word' with the other cat. Keep him inside for at least two more weeks, and when you let him out do it on a day when you will be home all day, so you can supervise him on short walks, as he finds his way around. I had a neuter who sprayed, but only because there was a particularly mean tom in the neighbourhood who use to return the compliment in the front porch.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 19:03:09 PM »
Bless him - awww!! He probably can't wait to inspect the neighbourhood, especially if he's been used to going outdoors in a previous life!

Probably best to keep him in for a short while longer, although having said that, my friend's cat Tigs, who's not the sharpest tool in the box, goes out after only a few days once he's moved, and has always been fine, even when my friend first got him.  I think it's more a case of erring on the side of caution, really.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 17:50:47 PM »
Can you rig up a temporary pen, or maybe get him a harness to let him have a walk round the garden? (closely supervised, of course!) Also, if you use feliway spray where he's spraying (after cleaning it with something astringent - dilute white vinegar or tee tree oil), it should discourage the spraying. Cats rarely spray where they cheek-rub, and feliway mimics cheek-rubbing smell.
Is he neutered or intact? It might be worth getting him "snipped" if he isn't already, it will reduce his desire to spray. A feliway plug in could also help - he is probably just settling in and is still a little insecure, so marking to make him feel more confident, and reinforce that thisplace is "his". The plug in should help him relax and feel less anxious. Rescue remedy is good fo this, too.
Good luck! :hug:
Thanks for the advice i will keep in him for another 2 weeks that will then bring him upto 4 weeks .  have thought about the harness thing just a bit unsure as ive heard that cats dont like them !....  where can i get the feliway spray from ?  Im unsure where hes sprayed today but its def in the living room somewhere !.  he keeps 'cheek rubing' my hand when he comes on my knee.  He been going to the door constantly tonight and meowing at him, i just answer him back and say 'not yet soon !'  i also forgot to mention that a couple of nights ago when he was looking out of the window he saw another cat and he was 'talking' to it.. could that be why hes spraying and wants to go out?  yes hes been neutured etc...
 :scared:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 16:01:04 PM »
Can you rig up a temporary pen, or maybe get him a harness to let him have a walk round the garden? (closely supervised, of course!) Also, if you use feliway spray where he's spraying (after cleaning it with something astringent - dilute white vinegar or tee tree oil), it should discourage the spraying. Cats rarely spray where they cheek-rub, and feliway mimics cheek-rubbing smell.
Is he neutered or intact? It might be worth getting him "snipped" if he isn't already, it will reduce his desire to spray. A feliway plug in could also help - he is probably just settling in and is still a little insecure, so marking to make him feel more confident, and reinforce that thisplace is "his". The plug in should help him relax and feel less anxious. Rescue remedy is good fo this, too.
Good luck! :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 15:59:18 PM »
Please dont let him out yet, you have to remember that you know better than the cat!

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 15:19:40 PM »
I think it's a bit soon, are you sure its not the tray you can smell?  If you're not used to having one in the house it can be a bit of a shock!
Its defitnetly not the tray - thats in the kitchen and the smell was defitnetly coming from the living room.. hes also been wiping his face on the sofa, table and chairs.  its just that he seems desperate to go out - but if its to soon then will have to make him wait !. thanks for replying.
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 15:16:08 PM »
I think it's a bit soon, are you sure its not the tray you can smell?  If you're not used to having one in the house it can be a bit of a shock!

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
Need some advice from you lovely cat people !!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 15:12:45 PM »
Here I go again  :shy:  Thomas has been with us for just over 2 weeks, told by the sanctuary that we should keep him in for 4-6 weeks - however since yesterday hes been showing a real interest for the door meowing at me to let him out .. and today when i came home the living room smelt of cat wee  >:(  He has a litter tray and been using it, but i guess hes marking his scent and im not to happy about it... so the dilemma i have is should i let him out tomorrow morning before breakfast and see how he goes ? or is it to soon ?  a bit worried that he might bolt off - but he does know us now and i would like to think that he would come back .
Suggestions/advice please ! :shy:
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat