Author Topic: The Supreme  (Read 41394 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: The Supreme
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2008, 09:03:28 AM »
As early as you like, Dawn!  I was there by 8am last year.  Doors to the show halls open at 10am but you can get into the NEC building sooner than that.  Cafes tend to open at 8.30am I think.  We were particularly early last year because traffic was light and we had an uneventful journey there without any roadworks etc.  We always aim to get there early then go and get a coffee and some brekkie and have a good old natter.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2008, 08:44:50 AM »
I booked my parking in advance with my ticket and it was £7 - £8 on the day but then in the confirmation it says paying for parking doesn't mean you'll get a space anyway so not sure why I bothered!  How early can you get there Susanne??

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2008, 23:38:51 PM »
Mmmmmm, as far as I'm aware of, parking for the Supreme has always been £8.  :Dont know:

Unless you have a blue badge like moi in which case it's free  ;D  I had no idea you had to pay to park until someone on here mentioned it last year  :rofl:

I parked in the exhibitors area last year.  Don't know whether that's where the disabled parking is now or whether we just got there so early it was assumed we were exhibitors  :rofl:

The show is in halls 17-19 btw, which are adjacent to the north car parks.

Is that the same as last year?  I preferred it when they used to be in 18, 19 and 20 (is that what they used to be?) - gave it a bit of an L shape iirc.  Oh well, minor point!

I'd offer transport assistance but I'll be doing my usual twilight run to Preston to pick up my friend and then zooming down the M6 to get there ridiculously early so that we have to hang around for a while twiddling our thumbs cos even the coffee shops aren't open that early  ;D  I am totally paranoid about getting there late after several bad experiences with car park stewards and nightmares driving round and round while it got busier and busier.  Having said that, it used to be the same weekend as the Good Food show (or was it the clothes show?) and that was one of the reasons for congestion around the car parks.  It seems to be earlier again this year (like last year) so I'm assuming it will no longer be the same weekend and will be less busy than it has been in the past.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 23:17:31 PM »
Mmmmmm, as far as I'm aware of, parking for the Supreme has always been £8.  :Dont know:

The show is in halls 17-19 btw, which are adjacent to the north car parks.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 19:53:20 PM »
i wouldnt know about that but i checked yesterday and it said parking for the supreme is £8, thats not bad its £15 for a coach to park
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2008, 19:51:46 PM »
parking according to the NEC website is £8
:Crazy: That means it's gone up £1 since March.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2008, 19:46:03 PM »
parking according to the NEC website is £8

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 19:35:07 PM »
Bracknell it is for me, it's pay weekend too which is much better, guess only the cats will be getting any Christmas presents this year! Can someone else remind me closer to the time, I have the worlds worst memory  :shy:

Hmm, maybe I could go to the one in Bracknell with Clare? Probably much easier to get to Woking than try and figure out how the hell to get to the sports centre on my own steam!

You'd be more than welcome  ;D  The leisure centre is a bit out in the sticks to where the station is, so might not be the easiest place to find  :evillaugh:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2008, 19:18:27 PM »
For the NEC get to Birmingham New Street and get a train to Birmingham International (they are very frequent throughout the whole day). It just takes 9-10 minutes. Follow the exit signs (up some stairs). Then take a right at the ticket area (don't go left or you'll end up in the airport  :rofl:). Then follow the walkway, down the escalator and voila.

Parking at the NEC is £7.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 19:09:47 PM »
Bracknell sounds good!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 14:47:27 PM »
Scrap what i said, I've used my powers of persuasion to get my oh to come along  ;)

So i'll be there!  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 13:56:55 PM »
Hmm, maybe I could go to the one in Bracknell with Clare? Probably much easier to get to Woking than try and figure out how the hell to get to the sports centre on my own steam!

You'd be more than welcome  ;D  The leisure centre is a bit out in the sticks to where the station is, so might not be the easiest place to find  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 13:11:33 PM »

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »
May be going as its not far from Cheltenham, would be lovely to meet up with some of you ;D

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »
Not sure how it would work logistically, but if anyone is struggling with transport to Bracknell, but can jump on a train to Woking (main Waterloo to Portsmouth line), I can take 2/3 others in my car if that would help anyone out?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
I'm going to that one as well, I'm about 45 mins away

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »
I'll need to check dates, but I'll probably go to the Bracknell one as its only about 15 mins drive for me  ;D

Offline Jennifer

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »
Thanks, Reynard! I guess I'll be making my way up to check it out. :)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
If anyone in the nottm/mansfield area is interested i can get a 29 seater bus for the NEC, cost would work out at £9 each , would save on parking (which is £8 per car) plus i would be driving so you would arrive all nice and erelaxed ready to spend all your cash on pressies for the furballs ;Dif interested please contact me asap

Me and Corporal Smokey are up for it hun

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 22:24:16 PM »
Jennifer, the NEC complex is right next to Birmingham International rail station. Hence should be accessible by train / bus.

The Supreme, for those of you who are show virgins, is pretty well much the Crufts for cats. There are typically around 1500 cats in competition (pedigree & household pets) and on exhibition in club row as well as loads of trade stands and other stalls including those from various branches of CP. It's pretty well much the biggest event in the UK showing year and well worth visiting at least once.

The National used to be held at Olympia, but as of this year will be held in Bracknell. This year the National clashes with the Supreme - it's a week later, which given the 13-day rule, has left exhibitors having to choose whether to do one or the other. For me and a lot of my exhibitor friends it's a no-brainer - we're Supreme-bound.

BTW, the pens at the Supreme are twice the size of those at a normal show so there's plenty of room for the furry ones to slob. These are usually tarted up with posh drapes to show off the cats to their best and each year there is a theme to the show and a decorated pen competition. This year, the theme is "Magic".

Also, on club row, you can meet & greet the many different breeds on exhibition and talk to enthusiasts of the breeds. I have one friend with a Ragdoll on exhibition and another friend with a rescued Sphynx.

Oh yes - and musts at the Supreme is a packed lunch (concessions are a bit :doh: ) and a pair of comfy walking shoes.

The show opens at 10 am to the public and judging starts a little before then.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 22:08:41 PM »
I am hoping to go if I can get cheap rail tickets from Newcastle. I went to the National last year and enjoyed it but everyone says the Supreme is much better. Would love to meet some of you peeps, I've never managed to do that yet although I did meet the lovely Pearl last year at the National  :Luv2: The only problem I have is my niece's baby is due on 23rd so I'll have to hope she has him a bit late  :rofl:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 21:15:20 PM »
I would love to go but the expense of getting there and back (I don't have a car) plus whatever I'd want to buy, I just don't have the spare cash sadly, then there's the trying to get the goodies home, I'd look like a sherpa  ;D

Maybe I'll go to the one in Bracknell, that is if the sports centre they are holding it in isn't miles from anywhere! They do have cat agility though which sounds curiously interesting.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 20:51:52 PM »
It seems that the National this year will be a scaled down version and is to be held at Bracknell

http://www.nationalcatclub.co.uk/tys_main_frame.htm

I think it has always suffered with being so soon after the supreme, in terms of exhibitors selling out of stock at the supreme etc.

The Supreme is really worth trying to get to if you can.  Unless you aren't fond of cat shows and know you will be upset by the sight of cats in cages, it really is a great day out and there is just so much stuff to buy plus lots of special offers and freebies.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 20:44:13 PM »
Is there something similar in London? Don't tell me, I missed it! Anyway, I'd be up for a London one or surrounding areas, easily accessible by train etc.
Me too.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 20:23:34 PM »
I think Birmingham would be a bit extreme to go for some cat toys, I'm mad but not that mad  :evillaugh:

You've clearly never been to the Supreme if you think there are just "some cat toys"  ;D  Anything and everything you could want for your cat (or cat related thing for yourself) is there.  Well, pretty much.  Puts the selection of cat toys at PAH to shame.  One of the main things I like to go for is food that I cant find anywhere else (on special offer too).  Last year I got lots of flavours of bozita that have not turned up on zooplus yet and some flavours of almo nature that I can't seem to find anywhere else either.  Evangers also.

There used to be the National in London a week or 2 after the supreme but I seem to recall someone saying it wasn't going to be held at at Olympia (think that's where it was) this year?

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 19:37:47 PM »
I think Birmingham would be a bit extreme to go for some cat toys, I'm mad but not that mad  :evillaugh:

Is there something similar in London? Don't tell me, I missed it! Anyway, I'd be up for a London one or surrounding areas, easily accessible by train etc.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 18:18:56 PM »
If anyone in the nottm/mansfield area is interested i can get a 29 seater bus for the NEC, cost would work out at £9 each , would save on parking (which is £8 per car) plus i would be driving so you would arrive all nice and erelaxed ready to spend all your cash on pressies for the furballs ;Dif interested please contact me asap

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 16:49:50 PM »
what is parking situation like do you need to get there very early?

Offline Jennifer

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 14:06:10 PM »
Ooh, I live in Birmingham so I'll have to see if I can get to this! Not driving makes it difficult, lol, but this sounds fun and I want to see all the cat things. :D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »
I am going with a recently converted friend, would be ace to meet with some of you guys. I will probably waer something that standa out so you can spot me. :naughty:
Yay - lets hook up. I will dig out something eye catching too :)

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
I am going with a recently converted friend, would be ace to meet with some of you guys. I will probably waer something that standa out so you can spot me. :naughty:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »
I would go for the day out, and to look at everything, and go ''ohhh'' and ''ahhh''. Not my every day Saturday activity!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »
cats shows aren't everyones cup of tea but the shopping is usually good!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »
Ohhh!!! Fun! Will try to make it.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »
big cat show in November at the NEC in Birmingham

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
Surpreme? I have no idea what you're talking about! What and where??

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »
Amy, just come and enjoy the show; meet people and cats and do a dollop of shopping.  :)

It's poo about your branch not doing anything. I think our stall is fully manned, but will ask if you want?

I am perfectly happy wandering and purchasing, I just didn't fancy the idea of some poor volunteer lumped on a stall all day long without their own chance to have a wander.

Maybe nearer the day we can set up a rendezvous point for a sneaky Purrs meet up  :shify:

Sounds good to me  x

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
Is anybody from the NW going? I won't be able to drag my oh and none of my friends are cat mad like me so i'll have nobody to go with. Don't fancy driving down and wndering round on my own. :tired:

I was desperate to go last year but couldn't go in the end. If anyone fancies it i am happy to pick people up on the way round Manchester way or leave my car at theirs and go together  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »
I think that is a great idea Amy, I've never been to the supreme I usually go to the national but I know a few people went last year so might have an idea of a place we could meet

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:04:28 AM »
Amy, just come and enjoy the show; meet people and cats and do a dollop of shopping.  :)

It's poo about your branch not doing anything. I think our stall is fully manned, but will ask if you want?

I am perfectly happy wandering and purchasing, I just didn't fancy the idea of some poor volunteer lumped on a stall all day long without their own chance to have a wander.

Maybe nearer the day we can set up a rendezvous point for a sneaky Purrs meet up  :shify:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Link to CatChat