Author Topic: PHEW, JUST HAD MY FRST CAT WITH A HYPO ATTACK  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: PHEW, JUST HAD MY FRST CAT WITH A HYPO ATTACK
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »
Ela we were advised the needle could be used more than once but as I said to Robin they don't do it for humans so not for our boy either

My own vet always says one needle one use.

I found a pic on the net somewhere of a needle used 1 - 6 or 7 times, it was horrible even after once it started to shard

I cannot find the pic but see www.bddiabetes.com/us/main.aspx?cat=1&id=266 & www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_341a.htm.  I do wish I could find the other pic as it was a real eye opener.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:54:04 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »
Ela we were advised the needle could be used more than once but as I said to Robin they don't do it for humans so not for our boy either

We are still waiting to see what the total cost for Tiger will be on a monthly basis but cost is not an issue with us as we took all of them on and knew at some stage there would be costs involved and it our pleasure to be owned by them and will just cut back on Christmas and hope people will understand that our family comes first!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
Hope the owners heed your advice on their return!

They did about the one needle that was used 7 times before it needed changing. (They had been told this by another rescue and their vet had said until it is blunt it can be used). Now thankfully it is one new needle each injection, so I live in hope they will heed my other advice.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »
poor little Katie... at least she is somewhere where people can react quickly to what is happening.  Good on you for noticing it Ela. ;)

fingers crossed that things have settled and there are no more hypo episodes.  Hope the owners heed your advice on their return!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 09:04:30 AM »
My own fault I know I should take some antihistamines or even have the injections, although I do use eye drops but this time it is worst than it has been for years. In the night my breathing was not good and of course I could not find my inhaler

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 08:03:48 AM »
Sorry to hear she has had another do, and hope her parents can sort her teeth out for her. Do you take anything for your allergies Ela?
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 04:44:46 AM »
Poor Katy had another Hypo yesterday afternoon, fortunately we almost watched it come on, first she got up then just tried to get between the kitchen bin and a stool, immediately Stuart said I think she is starting again, isn't it strange how you know a cats behaviour and something a simply of moving to a different place rings alarm bells? We watched her for a few min to make sure it was not a figment of our imagination and then decided it was no figment, so I gave her 1/2 tsp honey. Unfortunately she got worse so after 20 mins  I rang the vet and we went straight there. Normally I take all cats to my vets but as Katy's own vet is quite near I thought I would go there as they would have all her records to hand. As we sat in the waiting room she was sick then poood. Bless her. Within a few mins a vet called us in, and I was not impressed. I explained that Katy was one of their patients and that her Mum and Dad were on holiday so she duly got her records on screen, the vet asked me if Katy had a record of a  heart problem, I advised her that I had not been advised of this and that if she cared to look over her shoulder all Katy's records were on the screen. She then took blood from Katy’s ear and managed to stab me with the needle.  Glucose level was not too bad but a bit lower than it should be. So Katy was given glucose and Metacam. Also all the time we were in the vets poor Katy was panting. Initially the vet wanted to admit her so they could keep an eye on her, but then said all the vets go home in 2 hours and one may check once at some time during the night. So we decided to bring Katy home again as at least then should she needed a vet we could ring the emergency vet and get her the attention she would need sooner rather than hope the vets one visit would not be too late. Fortunately after an hour or so of coming home she seemed much better. We have also been observing Katy and by the way she eats and I had made a mental note to ask her mum and dad to take her to the vets to check to see of she needs a dental. Although she is a little darling, she is not the kind of cat who would have taken it lightly if I had tried to look, also I am allergic to her so the fight on my hands to look would have caused me more problems. I already have eyes that are like pigs (red and raw) my throat feels like it is closing, all my joints are painful and I can’t stop sneezing. So I thought the vet could earn the consultation fee and she confirmed that Katy most definitely needs a dental.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 20:28:16 PM »
Des just to say in the longer term we will probably do that but at the momen there is so much still to be done re stablising and getting the dose right would rather just stay with the vet and see how it goes

So far so good and he is taking the shots well but Robin is away next week for 4 days so will let you know how it goes as he is more a daddy's boy! ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 19:01:37 PM »
Glad you knew what to do Ela!!
Liz, would it not be cheaper to get the needles from Vet UK?
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 18:58:57 PM »
Have to say vet did say to us we could use the same needle for both shots in the day but somehow I didn't feel right with that so its a new one night a morning and Tiger is off to the ve tomorrow evening with Daddy for a whole box of needles and a glucose test - Should be interesting to as he will also get the bill!!!!!

Iwill be working 1 - 9pm so will be doing the morning shots!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 17:30:22 PM »
Is this the one where they were using the same insulin needles ?

Yes that is her, mind you since I showed them the pic of a needle after it had been used 1 - 6 times they do use a new one each day now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 17:30:42 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 17:27:28 PM »
liquid glucose or similar in their house incase this happens again

They will have, as she has had them before at home.

Um! liquid glucose, do you know what I use that for, well I will tell you. When I defrost the freezer I smear it all over and then when it come to defrosting again the ice come off in sheets.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 17:31:03 PM by Ela »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 17:03:28 PM »
LOL ok then

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 17:01:23 PM »
but it doesn't give you that nice crumbly melting feeling as it liquefies on your tongue :(

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 17:00:22 PM »
but you can buy ready to use liquid kind which is thick like honey.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 16:50:11 PM »
another of life's little pleasures removed because a minority misuses it >:(. I love melting powdered glucose against the roof of my mouth ... :innocent:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 16:47:13 PM »
Congrats Ela on the quick fix, I spent yesterday trawling for powdered glucose only to be told by Boots they didn't sell it as junkies were doing things with it.

Popped in to the local family chemist and came out with a box of th stuff just in case for Tiger.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 16:41:05 PM »
Well done Ela, I hope Katies owners have liquid glucose or similar in their house incase this happens again (lovely little name for a cat i think btw)  Poor girl doesnt sound like she's well stabalised.
Is this the one where they were using the same insulin needles ?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 16:03:06 PM »
Yep, it's pretty scary. Well done for your quick thinking - we panicked so much the first time our Little Junkie had an attack. (It's actually the only time and I hope it never happens again!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 14:37:15 PM »
She was really lucky that you realised what was happening - I don't know if I would -even though OH is diabetic!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 14:18:18 PM »
Wow, I recognize that, so pleased you were aware and quick.   :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
PHEW, JUST HAD MY FRST CAT WITH A HYPO ATTACK
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 13:55:37 PM »
I am looking after a 16 year old cat named Katie. I had her a few weeks ago after a cattery refused to take her in again because she was unwell the last time they had her. A few weeks ago I was expecting she may have a hypo attack and there was nothing and her owners told me she had not had one since I last had her. About 20 mins or so ago she started to get in places she was too big to get, some how she managed to get behind the TV and we had to move everything to get her out ,then she just started to pant and walk into things. Fortunately I have honey and after 1/2 a teasoon in she is now back to normal, thank goodness. Obviously we will be keeping a very close eye on her.

Link to CatChat