Author Topic: Pulling together  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Pulling together
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 22:54:32 PM »
yep, I work with all the other loccal rescues (and occaisionally not so local).
I've had no joy with the RSPCA but nevermind.

Our local CP are fine. I feel if we don't all work together then its the cats that will suffer in the end. We help each other out with food windfalls, equipment and the odd cat /rehoming placement/referral/home visit etc.

Our city council also run an animal welfare forum meeting (now only twice a year sadly) but its open to all rescues, the wardens (obviously), police , vets and we all meet to discuss various issues within a council supported environment (with a cup of coffee and some nice biscuits thrown in)

Sometimes the council can get a response about something where we as groups can't. It helped arrange the CP to have meetings with all the local housing wardens (or whatever they are called) where the wardens were encouraged to keep an eye on the amount of pets in the area and also promote the CP neutering scheme. I think both sides thought this was a useful exercise.
It has also helped on the dog-side where the local cop shops were not accepting stray dogs after hours - even though they have a purpose built kennel to do so. I think they would have fobbed off the rescue but couldn't do so when faced with the council making enquiries.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Pulling together
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 22:10:25 PM »
What a great result Des.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Pulling together
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 22:06:16 PM »
A hopefully nice little tale, and one that I wish happened more often, we can all achieve so much more if we pull together.

Last year, I found out about another semi-local rescue, and as I had the fundraising bug, i put myself down to help out on fundraisers for them. Turned out to be an incredibly good thing for both rescues, we ended up having a good chat about what we both do, which obviously led to tips on both sides, and we have regular contact to let each other know what we have, esp kittens, which has worked out well, as they now only give our number out if they know we can help. I also introduced them to CatChat, and they have had an excellent response, they are so incredibly pleased with how well it has done for them, and what a good service they get (must tell Mandy!!) - they had never thought the internet was such a good place to find prospective homes, and the only thing they wish is that I did more for them than I do, they are jealous of the charity I foster for!! In fact, they like it so much that when they had an offer of a free website design, they snapped at it cos they now know what it can do. As some of you know, I am also finding out about Gift Aid for them, as they have never heard of it despite being a registered charity, and little things like telling them about places like VetUK.
This week has shown them 'repay' their kindness to us - they have a fundraising venue where they think it a poor day if they only raise £500!! So, me being cheeky asked if we could use it on a weekend when they aren't, and they are happy for us to do it as it is a different event to theirs, even to the point of arranging the date for us rather than just pass on a number, putting an ad in one of the free listing publications, and advertising it in their shop for us - plus they are talking about coming showing support on the day. So hopefully, we can raise a similar amount to them. And anything they can't sell in their charity shop, they are happy to send to us rather than take it to the tip, plus are going to sell 2 of our hard to sell items - and even give us half the cash - I was goign to let them have it for their kindness and generosity (and the fact we have had one of them nearly a year and not figured out how to sell it yet!!!), that was their offer.
My only wish is that we could have as close links with the other charities in the area, we gave up trying to contact our local CP after a week of phone calls and an e-mail!!
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat