Author Topic: Pulling together  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Pulling together
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 21:47:05 PM »
Even more good news today!! I had spoken to the rescue's local RSPCA as well as my own, and the rescue's one have a fundraiser at the end of this month, they have kindly agreed to us having a stall there - it is a dog show that has a good turn out and quite a few charities, so fingers crossed we do well with it, we lost one of our fundraising venues last year, so this will hopefully be a good alternative for it. The rescue have tried before to forge a good relationship between us and them, and it hasn't worked, so fingers crossed this is the turning point and the start of something good, they already work with local rescues and are more than willing to do the same for us.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 08:05:06 AM »
but the regional conference is here in June and I will be going as a representative of my old branch and hope someone form CP HQ or a the regional mamager deigns to attend and I will have my say politely of course but just make them aware that folks like me and Lynn are being pissed off and going to help doggie charities, in my case I will still help my old branch as they are wonderful and greatful that we will still help even from a distance.

Excellent idea, If the powers that be don't know they cannot do anything about it.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 23:23:47 PM »
I think many Cp branches do effectively run a closed shop, and when the co-ordinator pops their clogs, one of the other of the in-crowd will no doubt take over.

I am afraid as a helper I now have no interest in Cp, tried too long and now have other thngs to do!

Stuff on Purrs is also time consuming and we have raised a lot of money in Purrs short life, hopefully a lot more after the Cat Show and all of this helps needy cats, so at least I can help a bit.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2007, 19:16:58 PM »
Ela perhaps in my case my numbers are an issue but I corresponded with this branch for 3 months before moving and gave them previous branch co-ordinators details, vets references etc and in 9 months no-one bothered to visit me Despite me offering an open house to them instead I got an IM saying basically sod off we don't need you and they never checked with the previous branch co-ordinator or our previous or current vet so I really couldn't have done anymore apart from trap one person and bring them home!

Its really pur me off helping or even attending stuff but the regional conference is here in June and I will be going as a representative of my old branch and hope someone form CP HQ or a the regional mamager deigns to attend and I will have my say politely of course but just make them aware that folks like me and Lynn are being pissed off and going to help doggie charities, in my case I will still help my old branch as they are wonderful and greatful that we will still help even from a distance.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2007, 09:38:17 AM »
Yeah, suppose it is!! Maybe our CP branch have a prob with us too, and aren't saying anything, I can believe that of them actually!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 09:33:25 AM »
Good point Ela - my issue with it is similar to Liz's - I am known by my CP branch, and wouldnt' want to make the situation worse by trying to make things better, if that makes sense.

It does. I have issues with another local charity who for the sake of peace and harmony will remain nameless, I know if I make a fuss I know lives will be lost. So when they contact me I am all sweetness and light, when in reality although I do not have a violent bone in by body would like to hang, draw and quarter them. The saying grin and bear it comes to mind. I suppose it is a bit like a lot of things in life if we want to help those that cannot help themselves, isn't it?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 09:40:49 AM by Ela »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »
Good point Ela - my issue with it is similar to Liz's - I am known by my CP branch, and wouldnt' want to make the situation worse by trying to make things better, if that makes sense.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
Can we do that anonymously Ela?

Of course anyone can complain anonymously. But I think they are less likely to take note if a person has not the guts to be up front. I personally would never do anything anonymously. Over the months I have been on Cat Chat and Purrs the number of times I have read, 'they don't get back to me saddens me',  I think CP HQ should be advised that some Co-ordinators are in effect operating a closed shop. Who do they think will take over when they all pop their clogs?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 08:07:43 AM »
By the way I do have some domestics with my ferals

I never doubted for one minute you didn't ;D. I just glossed over that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 08:08:15 AM by Ela »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 20:33:31 PM »
Ela re that is it worth the aggrivation somehow I did not do my complaining like the old days when I was a Regional Customer Service manager looking after Gas/Water/Electric/Railtrack and anyone else who complained after we dug a hole (I worked for a large Construction Company) and I complained about anything after having people complain to me!

In someways would it do any good or would it make them resent us more who know but I do know that my numbers were the excuse used in this case and I love to foster but I will not put any of my own at risk for a foster - my vet bills are £400 per month for normal stuff now so my lot are all up to date with everything they need and that excludes 2.5 kilos of biscuits 9 cans or 48 sachets of food every day of the year (sachets are Saturdays treat!)

I can still help my old branch although it takes longer to attend meetings/open days and does require 4 hours in the car plus the event and ensuring my lot have no change to their routine.

If we can complain I would like to as I am a member of CP and also get paid to foster and have charity matching through Robins work and it is as I have said before a nice tax free lump sum that does help the needy cats.  On the other hand whilst anything is in our care it receives the same care as our own and we never charge for food/litter or any vets fees we used to do it for love and knowing that the nastiest feral can be tamed down give time, the bottle feeding of babies to adulthood, the trapping and neutering of the baby making machines etc.  I also come complete with the full range of kitten pens, mother and baby pens, traps and crush cages so its not like I even need the gear a new fosterer would need!

So until my old branch have something for me Tyson and Cooper are my project and both boys will be neutered and vet checked and then come to live inside for a couple of weeks then we will see if they want to stay in or return to the garage and the outside - their choice and they will be looked after like our own whatever they choose.

By the way I do have some domestics with my ferals - usually a couple with each batch in fact some of the normal ones come with isssues cardiomyopathy, 3 legs but they are Mummies boys in fact even some of my ferals like me over Robin well a couple of the girls anyway! :innocent:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 15:25:41 PM »
Can we do that anonymously Ela? Not 100% sure it is worth me doing it, as I know the co-ordinator will be changing at some point this year, so it might be a lot easier then.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 15:23:09 PM »
Do you not think that all you kind people who are having a difficult time with certain CP branches could contact The Chief Executive at their HQ and advise him what is happening. He is very new to the job so I am sure he would be interested to know what is happening.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 15:19:55 PM »
I agree with you Ann, we would love someone like Liz too!! I am glad I started this thread though, some of the comments made me think, so this afternoon I have spoken to 3 of the local rescues, all agree that it would be good to have working relationships, and the last one i rang (Rescue's local RSPCA) are doing a show at the end of this month, and are going to see if we can have a stall on there too, and will let me know over the weekend, so that would be a good bonus - just means we only have 2 weeks to get ready for it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 15:10:41 PM »
Does anyone know of a cat rescue in Telford who would like some help (apart from the CPL obviously who don't seem to want me :()
A home without a cat is just a house!

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 14:09:48 PM »
I wish you were near us Liz, we would snatch you up straight away especially for ferals as we always have problems finding people to help out with them and we can't do as much as we would like. Your local CP are crackers to miss out on someone like you.  :Luv:

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 12:08:14 PM »
Totally agree Ela.  It's a shame that some rescues are very "closed ranks".  We always welcome help/fosterers/volunteers for fundraising, etc, etc.

Dx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 21:12:02 PM »
We are helping our old branch of Cp a 300 mile round trip by taking on a small colony they have been having major issues with as they can't find anyone to take them so hey we have the space so they are coming here unlike local branch who have a cat that has been on an empty farm for 6 months and they can't home him as he's feral - guess he could have been here but no we aren't suitable

It baggers belief that the local CP will not let you care for ferals, It sounds like you are very similar to one of my fosterer's who has the facility for ferals.  The local Branch obviously do know know what a valuable member you would be. The only ones to suffer in these circumstances is the cats and that is sad,  :sick:  although you are helping other from further afield.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 19:15:45 PM »
It really is such a shame Liz, your local CP are missing out on so much - we are hoping that when the new co-ordinator of our local branch starts this year (in training at mo) then we can hopefully forge some new links there, as I said in my first post, I wish this happened up and down the country, it really would help so many more cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 19:03:51 PM »
New blood brings issues as we are classed as incommers and here like a lot of the North East they say they want help and then walk on by

We are helping our old branch of Cp a 300 mile round trip by taking on a small colony they have been having major issues with as they can't find anyone to take them so hey we have the space so they are coming here unlike local branch who have a cat that has been on an empty farm for 6 months and they can't home him as he's feral - guess he could have been here but no we aren't suitable .

Also doing a sponsered walk for them and will walk and drive in one day so some branch of Cp can have the funds we raise

So whllst we are all have good intention sometimes they aren't wanted - the new branch are £3000 a year worse off as being an incommer we don't meet the current blue rinse brigade standards - blonde in my case and it galls me that some area's have a great networking system and others think they are the only ones who can help

So good luck with your endeavours but remember some of us have the time, money and inclanation to help but the branches don't want help but whine about not having it!

This is a several faceted thing and I know others who are like me and have to go the extra mile as locals don't want the help so perhaps you are luckier than some

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 16:58:20 PM »
what area u in Alex?

I'm in Telford Kelly!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 14:34:52 PM »
That's your choice Ela.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 14:32:09 PM »
To be honest I think it would be best if in the future I did not reply to any of your posts as whatever I seem to write. you are not happy with  :sick:. Take care

My memory is not always what it should be so if I accidentally post please just ignore me.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 14:14:27 PM »
I can understand that Ela, and I normally feel embarrassed too, and that wasn't the reason for this thread, but the forum is about helping rescues, so sometimes either encouragement, or 'that's good, we do x and x too' - can help us all out, rather than some of your comments like the first one - it is irrelevant to me what your old co-ordinator was like, and doesn't help me in the slightest.
Fingers crossed for you too Anne.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 13:52:18 PM »
We do struggle with getting the RSPCA to work with us

We were like that until a genuine animal lover  and not one in it just for 'a job' came to be the Manager of the animal side. He really does care and even asked us  (after their pleas were refused) to contact their  HQ to plead on their behalf to allow us to take in their FIV cats rather than PTS.

Hopefully, one day you will get a like minded Manager of your local Branch.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 13:44:57 PM »
Sometimes, just a nice comment works well you know

Oops sorry the reason quite possibly is that I personally feel unworthy and embarrassed when people have made a nice comment,  I have felt embarrassed and posted back that all in rescue do what I do, or words similar to that effect.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 13:30:58 PM »
Our city council also run an animal welfare forum meeting (now only twice a year sadly) but its open to all rescues, the wardens (obviously), police , vets and we all meet to discuss various issues within a council supported environment (with a cup of coffee and some nice biscuits thrown in)

What a wonderful idea

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 13:03:17 PM »
Des I can relate to you completely on this, we are still building relationships with other rescues in our area because we are a relatively new CP branch, only been going about 5 years or so and it's great when it works out. Even getting other CP branches in the area to work with us is a struggle sometimes although we do have really good links with our two nearest neighbours now and we are working together on things. We do struggle with getting the RSPCA to work with us and are still having problems even getting contact details for local bods but we are plugging away at it. It's great that you have built up this relationship with the rescue and hopefully you will all get great benefits from it. Hope you raise lots of money too  :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 11:32:59 AM »
Fingers crossed Tab.

Sometimes, just a nice comment works well you know. You might have been doing it for years, but others haven't, this is a really big thing for us.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Ee, I knew that would be the only part of my message that you would reply to Ela!!!

The reason for that is I had nothing to say about the other bit ;D We have for years worked in conjunction with other rescues. Wizz for instance. We provide vouchers for people she knows and she gives us donated food that she cannot use.  Even our local RSPCA invite us to have a stall at some of their dooooooo's, we in turn take in their FIV cats.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 11:13:06 AM »
Well I cant make the first one but will try for one of the later ones.
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 11:10:42 AM »
Not a prob Tab!!! Would be nice to see you again at one of the events this year.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 11:09:12 AM »
Sorry had a duh moment  :rofl:
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »
Tab, if you go in the fundraising section, I have put dates of what we are doing and when. Any help would be appreciated.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
That sounds great Desley. If you PM me some details of when, what and where I will see if I can get some things for you.
love
Tab

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »
what area u in Alex?
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »
Ee, I knew that would be the only part of my message that you would reply to Ela!!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
we gave up trying to contact our local CP after a week of phone calls and an e-mail!!

It used to be like that here, almost a closed shop. I remember I first contacted CP and offered to help a couple of times but no one got back to me, than about a year later I saw an advert for cats and it said sorry we have no room for more cats. I phoned again and this time it was a new Co-ordinator and within a week I had my first  foster cat. The rest is history. I think far too many people think we can manage, when of course that is far from the truth, new blood brings fresh ideas.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
Angie, I wish we had as good a system as you, that would be fantastic. I must actually get in touch with our local RSPCA and see if we can get something going with them, and found out about another semi-local rescue yesterday, will be ringing them today too.
Thanks JS
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 23:16:34 PM »
Desley, you're one of the people I think of as kind of an "unsung hero." You work so hard for rescues and take on all the oldies that other people overlook.

Well done on a wonderful result. ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 23:06:27 PM »
I have tried to get involved somehow in cat recue/fostering! I have managed to rehome 1 stray and 3 ferals that have wandered into my path. But as I dont have the facilities to take these cats into my house I tried getting in touch with my local CPL to hopefully get involved properly and perhaps get an outside pen for fostering. Despite numerous phone calls, I've never heard a thing back! I also know of someone else who is desperate to get involved in another area and it's the same story. Sometimes i wonder if things become too cliquish within bigger organisations whereas the smaller rescues are grateful for any help received.

Link to CatChat