Author Topic: I can't work here  (Read 7824 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: I can't work here
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 08:01:01 AM »
Your right Lynn, a lot of the places in the US are more pounds than shelters, and are run by the county to provide a service. The problem does seem a lot worse over there than here, but there are good places over there too. I actually think early spay/neuter is the only way we are going to tackle the problem, if everything was neutered before it left a rescue, then tehy couldn't accidentally get out in heat, or the owners forget - we dont see a lot of it on here, but on the American forum it is upsetting at times to read things like 'my cat got out in heat 3 weeks ago, she hasn't come back into heat, do you think she is pregnant?' - the majority then go on to let the cat have the kittens, even if it is a day before the spay app that was already booked. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Lindyloo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 17:40:50 PM »
I am not sure but I think a lot of the "shelters" in the USA are more like pounds. I don't think they have a choice about whether they accept an animal, they are providing a statutory duty.
Haven't watched this particular video but have seen a couple of other very sad ones.
One was saying they give an animal 6 days before euthanasia. The only reason - sheer volume of numbers, they sometimes get 150 animals brought to them in a day. I think in some areas there are wardens that go around rounding up stray animals and taking them to the pounds the problem over there sounds worse than here.
I given up watching those videos  on Youtube some are just heartbreaking.
Has anyone seen the one about Cecil (not heartbeaking)
Lynn
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 17:46:21 PM by Lindyloo »

Offline tinyrosie

• Adult Cat
  • hi everyone, i am rosie, my mummy is nutty sharon
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 17:33:26 PM »
 :-: that should be, more animals than places, not more animals that places.  computer gremlins!!  im using a lap top and always hit the wrong key, thats my excuse anyway!!!  :rofl:

Offline tinyrosie

• Adult Cat
  • hi everyone, i am rosie, my mummy is nutty sharon
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 17:30:50 PM »
 :'(  it all seems so sad to me.  we thought long and hard before we got rosie, but so many people just get an animal because they look cute without any thought of it growing, needing food, toys, vets etc
rosie was from a rescue home, she had been rescued by workmen after being left in a house for 7 days to die.  god knows what she suffered before that.  she is untrusting and tempramental, but we love her and she is getting better.  she follows me everywhere, but im not to touch!!!!
the centre we got rosie from does not put any animal to sleep and i had to sign a form stating that is i no longer wanted her or couldnt cope i had to take her back there, i was not to give her away or have her put to sleep.
there must be so many more animals that places and that is sad. 
rosie is just over 2yrs, we have had her for 8 weeks.  we decided that we didnt want a kitten as they have no trouble re-homing them.  rosie had been at the centre for 6 months. 
i wish people would just stop and think before getting one, and take them to the vets so they cant have kittens.
sad :'(
sharon and rosie

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 16:38:20 PM »
Hopefully someone will want me

I am sure they will.  ;D So many times the 'closesd shop' has been discussed on here it is ridiculous.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 15:59:47 PM »
anything back from the CPL when I phone them , even sent emails to head office. Nothing!! They obviously dont need the help here in Telford

Somehow  your messages could not have got through. I would contact CP HQ again and ask for someone to ring you ASAP as you wish to offer your services.

Only this morning I have received an offer from someone for a double cat pen or possible treble in their garden. Already I have advised them of the next step (getting permission etc). As soon as they have it I will be ordering  pens and arrange for a base to be laid.

Do you want me to send a copy of your mail to HQ for you?

TBH Ela, I don't think so, I think it's more a case of that they are very cliquey in this neck of the woods, and don't really want newcomers coming in unless it's their friends! I have been speaking to someone today actually about a kennels near here that also take in cats, adnI'm going to give them a call and see if they need any help. Hopefully someone will want me :rofl:
A home without a cat is just a house!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 15:15:56 PM »
My biggest frustration in being a qualified vn was that it wasnt quite what i wanted to do.  I mean yes that was my sole goal in life to become qualified but my BIG aim was to get involved with charity work in africa/south africa.  Fortunately my boss at the place where i landed up training and being vn for 7 years had lived and owned a practice in s a for many years and told me he was more than happy once qualified he'd send me in the way of contacts he knew..fate eh !!
However during that time scale i met hubby and well rest is history..it was choice follow dream or choose new path.

Those sorts of goals are now out the question for me but i would like to think in future years i can get involved with something where i will feel like i am making more of a difference.  I am the type of person that would be more hands on than the paperwork/fundraising side of things.  dealing with sick animals is what i do best.

I'll never probably now be able to get into the wildlife side of things and more so endangered species which was my aim but i would like to get more involved with the hands on side of greyhounds i guess.  Not sure if i'll be in a position to foster, depends where we end up and how much land i get.

I can just picture myself getting involved in rescue missions etc so maybe in the future i will be able to make a difference after all  ;D  Mind you 4 retired greys and 2 strays isnt too terrible but i would like to be more in the midst of the nitty gritty as upsetting as it would make me i know i could help.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 14:35:13 PM »
anything back from the CPL when I phone them , even sent emails to head office. Nothing!! They obviously dont need the help here in Telford

Somehow  your messages could not have got through. I would contact CP HQ again and ask for someone to ring you ASAP as you wish to offer your services.

Only this morning I have received an offer from someone for a double cat pen or possible treble in their garden. Already I have advised them of the next step (getting permission etc). As soon as they have it I will be ordering  pens and arrange for a base to be laid.

Do you want me to send a copy of your mail to HQ for you?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 14:35:44 PM by Ela »

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 12:35:47 PM »
wow, I have a major lump in my throat after reading all that! I would love to be involved in cat rescue. I have space in my garden for a pen, but never hear anything back from the CPL when I phone them , even sent emails to head office. Nothing!! They obviously dont need the help here in Telford :doh: I couldnt have them in the house because of my Teddie with her probs, but I have used ny kids playhouse as a temp home for a few cats that I have managed to rehome including the ones Dawn took  :) For all of you who do work in this very difficult field, you have my utter admiration!
A home without a cat is just a house!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 01:38:17 AM »
I think my point of view has been missed or just misunderstood.  Based on that article I am one of those people that 'cant work here'.  I really and truly could not work in a place that goes round pens ordering the death of healthy animals daily.  I wasnt burying my head ignoring it, as I am aware it has happened in some rescues.  I just dont like to read about it and the article appears to be trying to justify themselves by saying they are helping to control the situation.  I dont know the answer to controlling numbers of animals needing rehoming either but like many rescue places I am familiar with, I would have to refuse to take any more in rather than pts one to make space. 

The sad fact of rescue is these decisions have to be made.......I have had to go through the upset of having to have pregnant ferals spayed because it is the right decision.  It is not easy on any of us..........I adore animals and it breaks my heart and I have been in tears so many times, we are human and we love animals as much as anyone else.  From another point of view and it's taken me a long time to accept it........if an animal is turned down by a rescue, what happens to it???  Could you have that on your conscience that an "owner" might well do the deed themselves but not half as humanely as a vet would do.  Every time I turn a cat down, this goes through my mind......what if they do something to it to get rid???   I would rather an animal be pts humanely than dumped and left to suffer somewhere.  I personally wouldn't take an animal to be pts just because I had no room but I can see why large organisations make this decision.......this is the reality and sadly there is nothing that can prevent it unless all animals were spayed and neutered and there was a loving home for each and every one of them.  So many times I have taken cats in because the "owners" have said they will dump them at the side of the road or get rid of them themselves  :censored:  :censored:  For a large organisation, this must happen numerous times on a daily basis, my post isn't trying to justify it..........this is the reality and until people realise that by letting their pets breed, these people are the one's adding to the problem and causing all these poor babes to have their life ended for nothing.  I was in the vets the other day, a woman was going on about her Bishon Frize that she want's to breed........I pointed out how many healthy animals die through breeding, and how she is putting her health at risk.........her response was that her pups won't end up in rescues, she will find loving homes for them.  This woman can't afford vet bills and how is she going to know what becomes of her dogs.  This same woman was with her sister in law who dumped 2 cats to live outside because she didn't want them and I ended up having to rehome them  :censored:  :censored:  They also had a dog with them that was underweight and full of tumours, and surprise surprise, she'd never been spayed and of course they had no money for treatment for her   :censored:  :censored:  These sadly are the type of people adding to the problem of homeless, unwanted animals.  Every pup/kitten born is at the expense of another as there is one less home or one more to rehome whichever way you want to look at it.........the older ones tend to get overlooked and a rescue is more likely to save the life of a kitten because sadly these are the one's that are likely to be rehomed first.  Not all rescues run a euthanasia policy and as someone who loves animals, I don't agree with it but from their point of view.........what other solution is there??  There are hundreds of animals out there that need help, but sadly there isn't hundreds of placements and homes for them..........it's an awful situation but until people realise what they are doing when breeding, it's going to sadly continue and this policy shouldn't be blamed on rescues, it's down to people's ignorance and not having their pets spayed and neutered  :'(  :'(  :'(

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:57:24 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 19:01:04 PM »
Ok, I understand the angle it was coming from now,  :thanks:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 08:07:54 AM »
Debbie - as hard as it is to read, if more people helped rescues out, then less animals would have to be pts, as they would have more space for them. The article isn't justifying it by saying they are helping to control the situation, it has been wrote to try and make people realise just how bad the rescue situation is, to encourage more people to help - even if it is just more people neutering, as that is the main way we will help overpopulation. And refusing to take any more in isn't always an option - you might not pts one to make space (and thankfully it doesn't happen much over here), but the cat you refuse to take in could end up dying - look at the ones Dawn and Ron have taken in - if the vets cant' find a placement when an owner demands their cat is pts, they have to do it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 18:23:27 PM »
I think my point of view has been missed or just misunderstood.  Based on that article I am one of those people that 'cant work here'.  I really and truly could not work in a place that goes round pens ordering the death of healthy animals daily.  I wasnt burying my head ignoring it, as I am aware it has happened in some rescues.  I just dont like to read about it and the article appears to be trying to justify themselves by saying they are helping to control the situation.  I dont know the answer to controlling numbers of animals needing rehoming either but like many rescue places I am familiar with, I would have to refuse to take any more in rather than pts one to make space. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »
I had forgotten about the owners who do it Ela, god knows how, I have had to help out quite a few times in those cases, and that is how I got my lovely Tiger!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 08:58:26 AM »
That link is quite plainly saying that they put to sleep healthy animals if they are not homed quick enough.  I didn't realise that rescues carried out that sort of thing....? 

The truth is also that in this country it happens daily both by rescues and owners themselves who do not want their cat often cats anymore. That is why I get so annoyed when I hear people say Oh! I can always get a good home for my cats kittens. They usually add it is a friend or relation to try to convince me.  Most of the tens of thousands of cats that are PTS yearly are from those so called good homes.

Not to long ago someone took and 8 month old to the vets to be PTS because it was constipated and was not prepared to pay for treatment.  I know all those in rescue who post on this forum have numerous stories to tell. In fact within the last couple of days a post has been on about such a case.

The sad fact is that although we don't like it we cannot bury our heads in the sand as if it doesn't happen, as if we did more cats would suffer the same fate.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 08:12:39 AM »
Actually Debbie, that is an American article, and sadly yes, healthy animals are put to sleep every single day over there due to overpopulation - I have spoken to people on American forums who have had to decide which cats have to be pts that day to create room for urgent cases coming in, so sadly, it isn't about us liking it or not, that is the truth.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 21:04:32 PM »
That link is quite plainly saying that they put to sleep healthy animals if they are not homed quick enough.  I didnt realise that rescues carried out that sort of thing....?  (Well actually I do know of one near me but it is under investigation) Whilst I understand the immense pressure of rescues and available space, I dont see the benefit of that at all. 

I didnt like that article one bit, sorry des.  :'(

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »
Agree Des

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »
IT is, and it can be frustrating when people say 'I couldn't do it' for whatever reasons - we have to, and things like letting them go isn't easy on any of us, but where would these needy animals go if everyone had that attitude? The hardest thing for me is having to tell people we can't take their cat in cos we dont have the space.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:14:40 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »
Such a sad post Des.  I guess I had never thought through the impact that the words "I could not do it" would have - most of us would be trying to say how much we admire someone for making the tough decisions that we chose not to make.  I can see how it could be easily misconstrued though.....

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 14:41:49 PM »
:-)

Sounds like you have a good plan.

wow, what a shame you didnt carry on with it.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 14:38:42 PM »
Having 1 of those days is how I live my life everyday  :rofl:

I said in the future as I have a young son and also want to get a good job before I go into that, I will though it's a passion.

I did start my first diploma in animal care at collage as I wanted to be a vet nurse, I lived in northern Ireland at the time and we had a family situation and I moved back here and didnt continue with it, mind was all over the place.

But now I know there are better ways of helping cats so hopefully 1 day I can become a foster or work in a rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 14:17:16 PM »
:-) You really are having one of those days, aren't you???

Fostering isn't the only way of doing more though, there are a lot of other ways you can help
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 14:09:51 PM »
Sorry Des, I thought it was lol.

I'm going to look into fostering in the future when I get things on track. I would love to do something more.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 13:41:11 PM »
even doing it through a group, it might end up costing more than you think!!

Correct.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 13:35:35 PM »
CC, that is the same article as I posted. Do you have space in a garden for a pen? You do have to be able to keep fosters separate from your own.
Dawn - good on you for wanting to help in the future, but you might want to do it through a group initially, before funding it yourself, and you can always pay for as much as you can even doing it through a group, it might end up costing more than you think!! And that way, you can learn about the homing side and checks and stuff from knowledgable people.
Please spay your cat

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 13:26:20 PM »
I would love to be able to foster but haven't got the room. I think I could if the cats were able to roam the house but I understand you need a separate room.

I know I think I would foster when i have my own house (we are moving about at the moment so its not fair anyway) and we have more room and more money (I would want to fund it myself)

I have said i dont think I could foster etc cause I would end up not wanting to see them go, but I know I would (and I probably will) when the time is right
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 13:17:01 PM »
I would love to be able to foster but haven't got the room. I think I could if the cats were able to roam the house but I understand you need a separate room.

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 13:14:06 PM »
It must be even more so terrible for people who work in rescue as they are also animal lovers and having to this would be heartbreaking.
But people who do work with animals understand them more than the average pet lover and know when you have to be cruel to be kind and they know what is the right thing to do if an animal is too ill or injured.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 14:06:44 PM by ccmacey »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 12:54:16 PM »
 :'(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 23:28:50 PM »
I agree so sad and true.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 23:01:43 PM »
Indeed very sad but oh so very true ..sometimes there is just nothing you can do :(
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 22:04:12 PM »
Very sad but also very true  :'(  :'(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 21:59:25 PM »
 :( :( That's made me cry
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I can't work here
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 21:50:55 PM »
Thought I would post this on here, despite the fact I know the majority of us know about this - you might want a tissue though!!

http://www.nafacares.org/To%20Rescuers/i_could_never_work_here.htm
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat