Author Topic: This is extremely URGENT - Cats but big cats  (Read 13897 times)

Offline Catswhiskers

• Adult Cat
  • Tabby, Franco and Willow
    • Fibro fighters
Re: This is extremely URGENT - Cats but big cats
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2007, 16:29:54 PM »
Dawn I have sent a pm with a few links in I hope they help
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change....

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2007, 09:11:31 AM »
Wow, is this still ongoing?

Poor big guy. :( Although, as you said, at least he isn't suffering anymore.

Thanks for the update, Dawn. Hopefully a solution to this problem can be found really soon.  :luck:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2007, 00:41:01 AM »
Okay, I'll catch you tomorrow, xxx

Offline Catswhiskers

• Adult Cat
    • Fibro fighters
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2007, 00:40:16 AM »
Ok hon, you try to rest some I will hunt down some more ideas and chat to you tomorrow right now I am trying to trace an email addy for amanda holden that helped the lions  in romania with gmtv.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2007, 00:38:29 AM »
Thanks Rachel, we'll see what we can do........I'll send the report to you tomorrow after I've read it  :hug:

Offline Catswhiskers

• Adult Cat
    • Fibro fighters
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2007, 00:35:12 AM »
Hi again hon I have a list of lion sanctuaries, when you get the report send me a copy and maybe between us we can email them some kind of appeal with the details?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2007, 00:33:19 AM »
Thanks Rachel, I'm going to read through the reports tomorrow and see what they say first and then see what we can all do to help........I'm too tired tonight  :tired:  I would think any vet as far as info goes should be able to advise........they are just big cats after all  :Luv:  :Luv:  I've sent the reports to Sean as well to see if he has any ideas or knows of anyone that will be able to advise.

Offline Catswhiskers

• Adult Cat
    • Fibro fighters
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2007, 00:30:20 AM »
Maybe contact GMTV they did an appeal not so long back for big cats and they managed to sort them out. I am racking my brains for an idea as I did think of a good way but fibro is kicking me to bits today and I can't find the words I need.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2007, 23:56:08 PM »
I know but in some ways, you wonder whether they are better off as they will no longer be suffering  :'(  :'(  :'(  I've forwarded the report to a couple of friends of mine to see if they have any ideas.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2007, 23:44:56 PM »
So very sad  :'(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 23:42:03 PM »
I've been meaning to update on this thread.   Sadly one of the lions was found dead last week  :'(  :'(  :'(  Here's a snippet of the email I received.  I have also had the reports through but I'll have to post them tomorrow when I've had chance to read them.

"Today morning workers found one young lion dead. They were in new much more
bigger cage on open air for 20 days with different diet (beef, chicken,fish
oil-once a week,, milk, egs with ground meet,carrot, yeast).
Đuro Huber, dr.vet.med. who was 2 weeks ago in Osijek zoo said they are
looking good.
We have Report made by doctors from Veterinary University in Zagreb. At the begining of their report
they say lions are 60 kg app weight even for 17 months old they should be
double and more. They were living in cages 2x2,8 meters, very frighten and
agresive behaviour. Cage keepers tried to call them but they didn't want to
stand up.
In brief history we can see they were born vitality and healthy. But
translation of this report I will send you later this week."

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2007, 16:00:12 PM »
Seems  I am way behind on this story -  

You go DD   :bow: :bow:  Help is still there is needed. xxxxxx

Every animal deserves the best in life - lets hope these darlings get it now bless them

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2007, 15:53:57 PM »
I'll email Slavica later and see if she's heard anything and what's being done at the moment.  I know blood tests were done on them and I'm pretty sure it would be about 2 weeks for the results they said.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2007, 15:52:23 PM »
dawn whats the feedback been from born free..they did exactly the same thing with lions from romania and another country and the viewers pledged the money to fund it .

im sure they would do the same again.

Just had an email back from them:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing in response to your concerns for the lions at Osijek Zoo in Croatia, which were passed on to me by Ruth Santos.  The condition of these lions is indeed terrible.

The lions appear to have nutritional osteodystrophy, a condition seen in many captive lions, brought about by an inadequate diet.  In particular, it is often seen in hand-reared lions who have not been given a suitable milk substitute, and have been weaned onto inadequate food.  If the zoo’s manager was aware of their inadequate diet, then this is indeed a case of cruel treatment of the lions.  However, cases such as this are often down to ignorance of what is needed.

The mother doesn't look in good condition either, so if her diet is lacking in vitamins and minerals then it is unsurprising that her cubs are born with health problems.  Getting the lions neutered may be too expensive or not possible if there are no wildlife vets with experience to do the surgery.  However, if they cannot be neutered then the lions should certainly be kept separately and not allowed to mate.

It may be that a proper diet could improve the condition of these youngsters and their mother a great deal.  However, they could already have suffered permanent skeletal and nervous damage.  We are unsure as to whether the blindness could be treated, however when our veterinary consultant returns from Ethiopia next week we will gain his professional opinion on this. 

Our sanctuaries in South Africa are full now, so unfortuntely we cannot offer these young lions a home, and I cannot think of any other alternative home for them.  For these lions to carry on living in such a barren enclosure, and probably feeling weak and miserable from their poor state of health, then they are not having a life worth living.

Unfortunately, as a charity we have very limited resources, which we must use wisely, therefore we simply have not had the spare resources to send a representative to investigate the situation in Osjiek Zoo.  We are currently heavily committed with our investigations and work in Romanian zoos, where there are also many lions in similar barren conditions and also suffering from nutritional osteodystrophy.

I am, however, able to provide you with some good news.  As of January 2007, Croatia now has comprehensive animal welfare legislation.  Details of this legislation are available at: http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/index.en.php?id=470.  Animal Friends Croatia are an animal welfare group currently working within Croatia to alleviate the suffering of animals in conditions such as this.  Hopefully, with the backing of this new legislation, there may be something we can do to help.  I have passed your concerns on to Animal Friends Croatia and will keep you updated on the situation.

I do hope the information in this email is of some use to you, and I am sorry that there is not more we can do to help in this dreadful situation.

Yours Sincerely and With Best Wishes,

Anne Keeley
Zoo Check Researcher

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2007, 15:48:53 PM »
Try Born Free Foundation UK based but just the thing they would get involved with.

I was going to say born Free

The poor babes  :'( :'( :'( :'( I hope something can be done  - Dawn let me know if you need anything I will do my best to help you out xxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2007, 14:32:37 PM »
Finally had an email off Lord Bath.......not much help I'm afraid but he will look into it.

Dear Dawn

Thank you for your email regarding the lions in Croatia.

We certainly were not aware of the plight of these animals, which is obviously very sad, but we shall try and look into the problems they are in through EAZA (European Association of Zoos and Aquaria) to see if there is any action being taken to help these animals.

I am afraid that we could not offer them a home here at Longleat as we already have two prides and they certaibly would not mix within these two groups, but we will see if there are any other ways we could help.

Yours sincerely
Bath

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2007, 19:32:44 PM »
Gill, they will do everything in their power to get the lions out.......there are a lot of people working on this to make sure they get the life they deserve and that won't be stuck in a cage  :hug:  As far as what I've done to help, it's not a lot, I just wish I could do more  :'(  And after I'd heard about them, I couldn't just forget about them........and they are still cats although a little bigger than I normally deal with  :Luv:  :Luv:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 19:49:37 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2007, 19:29:20 PM »
Not wanting to be provocative but this is typical old balkans mentality  >:(

Those lions need to be got out of that zoo and into an environment suitable for big cats. Thanks for all the work you have done on this Dawn and lets hope someone from UN will get this sorted.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2007, 19:20:53 PM »
Here's an update on these babes.  I will update again when I hear more.

"Assistants from the Veterinary University of Zagreb visited us, and they
said that young lions are not in life-threatening situation, that they are
not blind ( though, zoo manager Salika-Todorovic claimed last Monday they
are) and judging from their appearance, assistants gave their opinion that
lions do not have to be euthanized.
Yet, assistants told us that they never worked with Big cats, especially
lions, but that they will consult specific guides/literature.
Assistants took blood and other swab samples from the lions, I'm not sure if
anything else, I couldn't see myself, as the manager Salika-Todorovic forbid
anybody else to watch the event.
Director of UNIKOM Miroslav Dolezal told us that he would like to invite
experts from UK to provide their opinon about the young lions."

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 12:29:28 PM »
I really hope so as well Gill    I also think if they are to remain at the zoo in the conditions they are in now, the kindest thing would be euthanasia.........I really can't see the point of treating them if their welfare is still at risk, all we will be doing then is dragging out their miserable lives     I just find it very sad and I hope with all my heart that they do right by these babes 

Agree totally !

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2007, 18:21:24 PM »
Just had another email off Luke.  It seems they will need permission off the Zoo officials and the local Authority to go over there but once they get the all clear, the wheels are in motion as long as the WVS approve it which I can't see them no doing   :)

Dear Dawn,

Thank you for this but there would be no professional fee for our time and this is within the objectives of the WVS. The cost of flights would have to be cleared with the board of WVS trustees but it is a worthy cause as it brings awareness to the plight of poorly treated zoo animals so I would hope it is approved. Jane and I are very happy to visit but we would need the permission from the zoo and the local authority in order to examine and assess the animals. Our goal would be to objectively assess the welfare of the animals, their clinical condition, and whether they are able to be treated or not. We would be aiming to work with the Croatian zoo experts and local authorities in deciding the fate of the lions. I have mailed Zivot and if he can get us the permission of the zoo vet and the government, and they would like our help, then we will go.

Best regards,

Luke

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2007, 17:45:29 PM »
I really hope so as well Gill  :hug:  I also think if they are to remain at the zoo in the conditions they are in now, the kindest thing would be euthanasia.........I really can't see the point of treating them if their welfare is still at risk, all we will be doing then is dragging out their miserable lives  :'(  :'( I just find it very sad and I hope with all my heart that they do right by these babes  :'(

I tend to agree. The life they're currently living isn't fitting for any animal, let alone one that's deemed "king of the jungle."

Hoping they can help these guys and if not, make the difficult decision that they're faced with.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2007, 17:23:21 PM »
Heartbreaking

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2007, 17:10:46 PM »
I really hope so as well Gill  :hug:  I also think if they are to remain at the zoo in the conditions they are in now, the kindest thing would be euthanasia.........I really can't see the point of treating them if their welfare is still at risk, all we will be doing then is dragging out their miserable lives  :'(  :'( I just find it very sad and I hope with all my heart that they do right by these babes  :'(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 17:30:04 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2007, 17:07:45 PM »
I do hope that they can find a way to get them into a better environment with medical care................keeping my fingers crossed  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2007, 17:06:09 PM »
Had an email from the World Vet. Service and it seems they are prepared for a head vet of 2 zoo's to take a look at the lions and Luke who is the Chief Executive is prepared to accompany her to access the situation.  We have been advised that they may well end up making the decision to euthanise these guys if that is the best thing for their welfare.  I think on the whole, this is something we have to accept if it's in their best interests.  I really hope they get a positive outcome, it would be great for them to enjoy their lives as they should, free from harm and hopefully it will make up for the crap life they've had up to now  :'(  :'(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 18:17:05 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2007, 16:45:43 PM »
God those photos are dreadful.  Truly heartbreaking.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2007, 15:49:24 PM »
talk about breaking the king of the jungle !!

those photos are heartbreaking.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 22:59:31 PM »
and some more  :'(  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2007, 22:58:28 PM »
Here's some pics of these poor babes  :'(  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2007, 17:05:44 PM »
Dawn let me know funds wise what we're looking at if we need to find a way to help subsidise this.  Airmiles etc I have some accumulated that we may be able to use if need be.

Thanks hun, I'll post some pictures later that I've received of these lions..........it breaks my heart looking at them  :'(  :'(  Whatever needs to be done........it will get sorted one way or another, we have to help them before it's too late  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2007, 17:02:10 PM »
Dawn let me know funds wise what we're looking at if we need to find a way to help subsidise this.  Airmiles etc I have some accumulated that we may be able to use if need be.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2007, 17:00:31 PM »
Gotta say, I don't really like zoos.

I totally agree........especially not when they are cooped up in poxy cages  :censored: :censored:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2007, 16:59:04 PM »
Poor things. Any news on them Dawn?

Just got in from work but have had an email from Slavica who is desperately trying to help these babes, I've also had various other emails but not checked them properly yet.  She's asked me to contact a guy called Luke from the Worldwide Veterinary Service, he's offered Veterinary care and advice........I've got a home check to do shortly so I'll try and get hold of him later.

ccmacey

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2007, 15:43:43 PM »
Just read those articles Sam, This is not fair! >:(

The Lions suffering has not been caused by there own doing.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2007, 15:28:13 PM »
Poor things. Any news on them Dawn?

I dont think conservation zoos do much either, i read it only takes 2 generations of captive breeding before they cant be released into the wild! End up just being shipped to another zoo  :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2007, 11:45:11 AM »
Poor guys. It's a pretty sad situation if the other lions got a decent enclosure and these two got plonked in a little cage. :(

Gotta say, I don't really like zoos. Conservation zoos correcting human behaviour that has endangered a species, yes. Otherwise I think it's preferable to have reserves or to see an animal in its natural habitat. (Although, admittedly that option can take YEARS to save for!)

Hope these guys can be saved and their medical issues aren't too far along.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:47:17 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2007, 11:32:34 AM »
Dawn hope you don't mind me posting these links ... It's a couple of articles I found about these poor lions: 

http://www.zivot.hr/index.en.php?id=321  and

http://www.zivot.hr/index.en.php?id=319
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 14:08:45 PM »
from what ive seen on tv mark aspinalls son is as caring and wants the work of his father to continue  ;D

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 13:27:26 PM »
Everything crossed here xxx

Link to CatChat