Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
The vet next door to me has a flat on the first floor. AFAIK there is nobody there now but one of the VNs lived there for a long time.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 10:19:17 AM »
It's not just a recent phenomenon either. The vet I worked for in the 1970s had a flat that was tenanted by his employee vet at all times while I was there.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 08:39:14 AM »
I think you will find that in the UK that quite a few of vets have houses/flats that they let out, especially the vets that have a few vets as they tend to get a lot of locums that need accommodation. I know my own vet has a couple of residences he rents out to vets (they all have cats). Vets are so hard to come by nowadays that vets offer all sorts of inducements, homes for cheap rents, cars etc.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 21:50:21 PM »
Maybe the vet in question uses a letting agency and one of their standard contracts

No that is not the reason. It is the vets house one he has purchased to rent out to vets while they work for him.

Sounds like a very unhealthy set up to me. A bit like live-in pub work. Unless he's renting at well below the market rent?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 21:26:57 PM »
Maybe the vet in question uses a letting agency and one of their standard contracts

No that is not the reason. It is the vets house one he has purchased to rent out to vets while they work for him.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 21:08:55 PM »
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 20:37:19 PM »
Kosha, hope that vet is not one of the local ones here... I think mine is very good with animals and kids.  Not so keen on the surroundings, so I thought of changing but keep hanging on because he is personally very good.

Ridiculous story, Ela...that's stupid and unspeakable...

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 18:42:18 PM »
Some landlords ask for a vet's record of Frontline treatment plus a desposit to pay for any damage caused by the cat/s after the tenancy finishes, OR some just hate animals and won't have them at all.

When the landlord is a vet who doesn't allow a tenant to have a pet, I'd say he has got nothing but pound signs in his eyes, so I wouldn't be renting from him and I wouldn't be using his vet services in future either.  >:(

While some vets start off full of compassion for animals and live within high ideals and provide brilliant services, others forget their early motives and just become business people. We in Canterbury have recently had to deal with vets who have outrageous policies aimed at bringing in more cash in direct conflict with the needs of the animal in question at the time. One vet wanted to charge a member of the public £10 to show her how to set one of our borrowed traps properly when she was trying to catch a puss in danger. Pathetic, really, isn't it?  :tired:

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 16:50:36 PM »
That the landlord is a  :censored: and that if I was the guy i'd start looking for another job and another home! It annoys me greatly the 'no pets' policy that a lot of landlords still cling to, i've seen bad tenants do a hell ofa lot more damage than a cat could ever inflict on a house!
I had an ex-landlord who wanted a £1000 in his hand (not as deposit  :shocked:) for me and my ex to have a cat. The house was a damp stinking rat hole anyway, so I told him in no uncertain terms that we where leaving!
We didn't end up getting a cat but thats another story  >:( ;).
I know that some vets don't like animals (met one of them a couple of days ago) and it seriously worries me that they do the job!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 15:10:21 PM »
bit too ludicrous for words really isn't it Ela...  Granted certain landlords don't allow any pets, but sometimes I think that if thought out sensibly there should be no reason why not to allow cats!

<sigh>
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 14:51:25 PM »
PM sent

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 14:44:00 PM »
As a landlord he has as much right as any other landlord.

(anyway, who said vets like animals ;))

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 14:32:53 PM »
How odd....and ridiculous!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 13:35:41 PM »
I dont think that this forums allows words that would express what i think! >:(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
WHAT DO YOU THINK
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »
Of a vet who won't allow one of his employees (another vet) adopt cats because she rents a house from him.

The vet had actually picked two from the gallery on our site, went to work told everyone all about them and then was hit with the bomb shell.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 13:08:37 PM by Ela »

Link to CatChat