Author Topic: Kitten help?  (Read 7588 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Kitten help?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 17:17:33 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Lesley. I may well call upon you if it all goes pear shaped. ;)

Call on my anytime, either pm me or my number is on CatChat under Hampshire re-homing. :Luv2:

They are definitely scrummy. :Luv:

Good luck with the weaning - and be prepared for the mess, totallly scrummy babes become amazingly yucky babes sometimes after walking, playing, sleeping and sucking up their food. :evillaugh:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 17:14:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Lesley. I may well call upon you if it all goes pear shaped. ;)

I'm not worried about these babies or mum healthwise, but in my opinion mum needs a break as she's so young and still growing herself. I shall be off soon to get some cimicat and some feeders from our vet soon. The vet nurse also said we can try weaning anytime from this age, so that's what we'll do.  :)

I'll keep you all posted... but aren't they scrummy!!  :wow: :briggin:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 16:28:02 PM »
All totally adorable  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 16:10:26 PM »
At four weeks will not necessarily be eating solids, I would try them with a bottle first -  cimicat, royal canin or Lactol GOLD for kittens (my preferred choice lately), just to get nourishment in them and if you can get them on that then what I do is mix Whiskas kitten (the loaf that comes in tins) with the milk so it is the milk consistency and bottle feed that to them to get them used to the flavour of solids before putting sloppy solids down for them.

If you want to pm me or give me a phone let me know.

I know when I had my mums from Liverpool some of their babes would not try solids until they were 5/6 weeks old whereas others started at four weeks so it all depends on the individual kitten I think.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 16:14:34 PM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 15:26:29 PM »
Good for Pinkbear picking these up today, its been a very long tiring journey.. Only last night I was on the phone to the person caring for these ones, the mum belonged to a neighbour who didnt really want her, but she had kittens in the other ladies house and then her neighbour changed her tune.. Half hour on the phone, explaining how irresponsible her neighbour had been letting her have kittens at that young age, and the audacity of her asking to take kittens back.. Anyhow, in the end we got them signed over..but they do indeed look wee small ones. I did ring up one of our volunteers who knows the lady caring for Shrimp *the mum" and they are def 4wks old as they have it written down.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 15:03:22 PM »
Hi,
Mum looks like she may have some Oriental type in her background but babies do look as if they should be on solids by now.
Best way usually is to feed mum kitten food and let babes share it
You could try Hill's A/D as it is a soft moist pate and very nutricious you can but it at most vets.Try just pressing a small amout into the babies mouths so they get the taste and warming food also helps to make it smell good too.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 14:38:05 PM »
Lesley has a phone number on cat chat, maybe you could ring her

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Kitten help?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 14:34:31 PM »
Help!!  :ooops:

I've just take posession of these little beauties.  :blow kiss: Mum is a tiny wee scrap of a thing aged around 9 months. Her babies are adorable, but there smaller than I've ever cared for before. The woman we collected them from says they're 4 weeks. Shouldn't they be eating solids, or at least trying to?  :Dont know:

I haven't got them for long, only a few days, until a more experienced fosterer can take them, but can I do anything to encourage the little ones to eat solids?  :shy: Mum is so tiny and frail and I'm sure the kittens aren't getting enough nourishment.  :(

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat