Author Topic: Torties- Can of worms?  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Torties- Can of worms?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 22:45:21 PM »
Send the pictures to me and what thread to put them on and I will post for you  ;D

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 22:25:00 PM »
And have tried to post pics on her and have miserablyfailed.  It tells me all are too big, no matter how much I have tried to crunch them.  Frustrating.

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 22:23:52 PM »
Oh ok on the food side.  Well mind you she needs to lose some weight maybe from what I saw.  But it would be easier to keep them all on the same diet for now until the three older ones reach a riper age then.  Its just the yongest (a year next week) who will need energy as he is a mad roamer.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 22:19:24 PM »
Cant wait to see her and they recover very quick from surgery. My two 14yr old birmans have adult food

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 22:14:43 PM »
Aww, glad you aren't bothered by her age - and senior food isn't an absolute must at 10, I dont class them as seniors till they are 12, and even then, I dont always use senior food, as I find they loose too much weight on a purely senior diet.
Please spay your cat

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 22:12:22 PM »
Tomorrow morning.  Am Picking her up at nine.  Got everything except 'senior' food as I had no idea how old she was.  Will probably be sore with all those teeth removed.  The rescue manager actually asked if I still wanted her, knowing her age now....What?  I said come on, that is only half way through her life potentially and age was never an issue.  Just hope that she gets on with the rest of the gang and that she turns out the sweetie she was hailed by the volunteer there.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 22:08:36 PM »
When is she coming home?

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 22:04:52 PM »
Well looking at more definition sites, she may actually be a torbie because I seem to remember her having stripes of brown and orange on her body but it was so dark in that room and I did see so many that it is difficult to tell.  Getting her tomorrow.  She had three teeth out -poor thing- and she has turned out to be 10 years old.  A bit unexpected but not an issue.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
I'm intrigued , as my Sweep is a brindle tortie, to read several posts that suggest that brindles are less " fiesty " than tortie and whites / calicos. Mine certainly is and it is fascinating as I never realised this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 11:21:21 AM »
I have 3 brindle torties and they are lovely and gentle
HOWEVER
I have known some pretty mean Calico Torties in my time, Infact when working in the cattery i dont think we had a "calm" CT come in - and long haired ones were the worse  :evillaugh:

But its not always the rule, some are very laid back xx

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »
seems that we have defused the myth about tortie temperament because a lot of postings show that torties can be total softies- like my white and a bit tabby Lennie who is just about the most docile and non aggressive cat on the planet.  Picking her up early tomorrow.  let's see how she will be.  Hope she passes her vet check today.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 22:51:10 PM »
I love that Gracie  ;D

I think Sasa is very intelligent but she just cant reconcile her wanting to be loved with being so scared and the fear wins  :(

She plots and plans though and tries to stay one step ahead of me. She needs to be in control I reckon  ;D

Offline Catkins

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 20:12:35 PM »
My Gracie is definitely a naughty tortie & keeps teh other 6 in check LOL

She is just full of character & a total sweetie, but does have a tendancy to nip as soon as she's had enough love, never hurts but really makes you jump when you're sitting in bed reading & stroking her at the same time & then she does it!

She also loves climbing up your back, I think she thinks that jumping is too much like hard work so she climbs up, claws & all - ouch!! We all have the battlescars from that trick!

I used to have another tortie & white, Maisie, who sadly went missing :Sad Bye: never to return. She was the biggest softie ever, my eldest daughter used to put her in the dolls buggy & push her round & Maisie would just sit in there lapping up all the attention. I like to think that she found a loving new home, I did see only recently a cat about her size on the other side of the road to where we were living when we lost her, this cat looked the right sizer for teh age she would be now & had incredibly similar markings. I like to think it's her & the people who she owns loved her so much when she visited them that they didn't like to speak up when we leafletted the area.

Anyways that was a digression. I hope you & your tortie have many happy years together. I've attached a piccy of my Gracie the day she arrived here, looking every ounce the owner of all she surveyed!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 19:19:06 PM »
All sounds interesting.  Less than two days to pick up time. Just rang to see how she is doing and she is ok but yesterday something spooked her apparently and she went mad in her cage.  I must say though that she is very confined at the moment-in the hospital ward in metal pens without outside access.  I suppose it is because she needs o be checked. Well I hope she will land on her paws once here after her upheaval.  It took my others a year to be totally confident and the young one about half a year.  Mind you the young one is ginger and is no doubt Mr Dominant now but all the time loving the outside-full of energy.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
My Byron is tortie and white we adopted her over a year ago at 22yrs of age.  She is such a love but she has attitude tooand is very nosey and will get in any drawer, cupboard or whatever she sees open she is also very healthy and slim.  She loves to be as close to me as she can and even walks in front of my every step and nearly trips me up, she likes to wrap round your neck and is very sweet.  However she has a very independent side too and when we adopted her she never fretted or was quiet, she ate our other cat's food and settled in as if she had always lived here, and she can stick up for herself too.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
our brindle torti Amber is lovely - he is a big cuddle bum and sleeps between our pillows all night

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 08:54:52 AM »
Wow.  Looks like I am in for a ride there then.  Am looking forward to having her and seeing the others react to her.  Hope she will fit in.  Got the Feliway and all the new paraphenelia to go with a new cat.  can't wait.  Especially hearing all this now because it seems they are very interactive.  She already talked all the time for the bit that I saw her.  Hope she passes the vet check. Are they also supposed to be intelligent?  The shelter manager said that she would fit into a multi cat household because she would 'sort them out'...  Also have a young ginger male with a temperament but he is becoming very sweet with me...don' bite the hand that feeds I suppose...

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 21:23:33 PM »
My Katie is a brindle tortie and white and has the bestestest temperament ever! She loves to be in my lap and can stay glued there all day. She sleeps on the bed and on my pillow sometimes and purrs constantly  :Luv:

She definately has a streak of defiance in her though and sometimes looks at me with the filthest look you could ever think of. She thinks i'm loopy and she definately rules the house and monitors all visitors! When she's on the bed, she'll ever so gently move up against you again and again throughout the night and it's only in the morning when I wake up on the other side of the bed with her in my place I realise she's gently moved me to have the biggest space! She will give me a quick nip when she doesn't want to be bothered, but has never hurt me. She talks constantly and is very vocal (especially at 4am in the morning!)

She's a little cat, with really short legs, but has a large tummy which sags (whether this is due to kittens or not, i'm not sure!)

I could talk about her all night - I luffs her!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 20:11:40 PM »

Sasa has short legs and a body like a rugby ball  ;D

That also describes Alice now she has filled out  :evillaugh:
She also has a back like an indian cow  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 20:06:23 PM »
Sasa ia a calico and a semi feral , she is scared of everyone and everything but although she bit a vet she would not hurt me deliberately unless maybe she was in pain.

I agree with the quote about torties and reckon its the bit of ginger in them  :rofl: :rofl:

Sasa has short legs and a body like a rugby ball  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 19:57:40 PM »
When torties are good, they are very, very good and when they are bad, they are horrid!  :rofl:

:evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 19:55:57 PM »
When torties are good, they are very, very good and when they are bad, they are horrid!  :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 18:59:37 PM »
I have met both aggressive and nice torties, but would agree with teh comment about their weight, I do seem to have meg a few on the larger side!! They can be temperamental, but it really does vary, and dark (brindle) torties are supposed to be more mellow.
Please spay your cat

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 18:41:03 PM »
My old lady was a tortie with white and she was a sweetheart, no craziness in her whatsoever except for the occasional zoomies, where she'd run around the room like a invisible bee was chasing her :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 18:22:51 PM »
My tortie Madison was the sweetest little cat on earth unless she was eating or guarding the oven with a turkey in it

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 18:22:14 PM »
My Brindle Tortie has exactly the same body build as you described. I have found that my Sweep and friend's torties all tend to be rather greedy and prone to weight gain, although I know you can't generalise!
I rescued Sweep when she was a year old and is now 13. She is very affectionate, loves being a lap cat and curling up with me on my bed at night. She adores visitors, is extremely sociable and very, very nosey. I totally agree with Blackcat about them being character cats... she just oozes with character. Her fav pose is sitting with her head cocked to one side when I'm talking to her. She purrs loudly but has a virtually silent meow.
I'm so glad that yours has chosen you and I know you won't be disappointed :Luv: :Luv:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 18:09:37 PM »
I have many a scar and if i were to remember i'd bet atleast half were from torties  :evillaugh:  My mother has the most beautiful white & tortie (or calico) cat, similar to alice but sophie's "patches" are larger and she is honest to god the most evil of creatures   :shify:  Never been ill treated or anything she just doesnt care for anyone bar herself, heaven forbid you might want to give her a stroke, anything more than a 1 finger pet and she has your ruddy arm off  :evillaugh:

I've known some very sweet ones too though  :)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 18:03:29 PM »
torties have a sense of humour is all. They mess with your head a bit and tend to do slightly more off-the-wall things than your average cat. They have attitude and will rule your house, but they are not unduly destructive or prone to poor litter behaviour or anything. So nothing to worry about, just a cat with character ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 18:01:19 PM »
I have heard those old wives tales. My latest cat. Alice is tortie & white and she is such a good girl. She was quite sick when I got her and recovering from her cancer op. Even still. She always made it to the bathroom to her tray. She even made it to the bathroom to be sick  :Luv2:. She likes nothing better than lying on me and staring into my eyes. And I have never felt a claw. Even when she bit me, it was a gentle nip that tickled. So no, I don't believe it. They do look mischievous though

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 18:01:55 PM by Mark »

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
Torties- Can of worms?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 17:48:20 PM »
R-Day came and went and rather than takiing a cat home there and then, I ended up chooseing one that i just fell in love with but which needs to have a standard check by the vet, as she had only arrived a couple of days ago.  Of all the other cats I saw, she appeared to have a sweet nature and second time of seeing her, she already stood up and came to me straight away before opening the pen and started 'talking'.  So decision is made; she is going to be mine, although it does mean waiting some more.

She looks very peculiar in her markings and I suppose with all the mixtures of colours, she is actually a tortie with white.  Her face is all ginger, the ear line is black, the chest is white and the rest of her is kind of tabby brownish, ginger with fluffy black tail.  Very unusual and strange but it was her reaction which attracted my attention.  She has startlingly green eyes.  She looks far chubbier and kind of stocky, compared to my other cats with shorter legs, slighlty longer hair and a 'fattiish' body.  Really cuddly looking.

Now the question is (and I looked on the internet and there are all sorts of beliefs out there) is the myth about 'naughty torties' a myth or truth?  And what does 'naughty' actually mean?  I know that behaviour can change from shelter to home, although the changes I have seen in my other rescue cats are actually positive as they gained confidence and became more loving and attached.

The shelter manager said, he can see a potential lap cat in her and I am so pleased to have female, as I have two malesand one female and it is two of each now.   But i am wondering (just to pass the time till I collect her on Wednesday), what experiences have people had with tortie/white cats?

Link to CatChat