Author Topic: How often do I make enquiries at shelter?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
Re: How often do I make enquiries at shelter?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 10:02:45 AM »
Hi Everyone, Just to clear up a few things we do have a website but updating it is another thing as we are all volunteers and overworked plus there is a lot of cats and kittens we dont put on the website.
I will PM our contact details to anyone that requires them
 :thanks: Anne
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 09:42:13 AM »
Nessa could you PM me the website? I've been watching the Pets Ireland site but seen short hairs or kittens on it and not even that many so didn't realise the problem was so bad in the South. There seem to be cats in shelters over here but either I don't know about some of the shelters or there just isn't as big a problem up here because there don't seem to be that many in the shelters. Apart from one which says they have 50 cats. I'm hoping to go there this weekend.

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 00:50:46 AM »
Hi peeps.
I am from the South of Ireland our Cat suitation is out of control here a night mare to be honest, we send some of our cats and kittens to the UK we have no choice its either that or they die at the mercy of there owners or the elements, I am with the CACS and I have traveled with albert our chairman and both the cat trips and also the dog trips, I have Cats here that are going to the UK this weekend, I also take in the orphans and try and nurse them back to health.
I dont know if I am allowed to put up our wedsite here or not so I will wait for permission from one of the mods before I post it up :thanks:
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
I have actually seen a few long hairs on one site here today but its at the centre before that told me I was too far away (about 30-35 miles) and the ones they have are to go to homes with no children or no other cats. I'll find one eventually. I'm just too impatient when I make my mind up to do something!

Thanks for all the help Julie. Its much appreciated and I'll drop DD a line to see if she knows of anyone.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
I'm fighting my brains here but I'm sure not so long ago, we were all trying to put together a mercy run to get 40 cats and kittens as risk of PTS out of Ireland - sorry, not sure if it was north or south - and get them into rescue in the mainland. Perhaps someone who remembers clearer details can find the thread for me?  :shy: :shify: I think it's generally accepted the rescues in Ireland, whether north or south, have it really bad and fight for support and are bursting at the seams most of the time. There has to be a puss for you amoung that lot!  :shy:

I am sure we also have a couple of Irish rescues here on purrs but can't remember the exact names. I will go and search for you and let you know if I'm successful.  ;)

Sure, give DD a tug as I'm she'll be delighted to help in placing a homeless puss in a forever home.  :)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 22:36:41 PM »
I knew a lot of rescues shipped dogs to mainland as with a bigger population and more centres they had a better chance of being rehomed but didn't know it happened with cats as well. Its so different here - we have one CPL branch - they have 8 cats over 2 pages. I was looking at the Leeds branch earlier (smitten with Lucy and Bruce!) and they have about 10 pages.

I have enquired at other shelters. One I am about hour and a half out of their area and they said would rehome to me. I have rehomed from our CPL before. There was another rescue 10 mins from CPL and they wouldn't rehome to me. I guess volunteers are thin on the ground and petrol expenses etc.

I know it won't help that this time I am being fussy about the sort of cat I want. When I adopted last time was just a friendly black cat and came home from CPL with a black and white brother and sister but I know hubby will never agree to another cat so want this one to be a long hair.

If you're sure Dawn won't mind I'll definitely send a PM.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 20:28:39 PM »
Fourfurballs, I am often seeing desparate appeals from Irish rescues - we have had them on here too! - and several Irish rescues regularly ship cats to the mainland as there aren't any homes over there. Surely if you are outside the catchment area of some of these rescues, wouldn't it be better to rehome with you rather than subject the cats to hours of ferry crossings and trucking?  :shify:

Give DiddyDawn a prod. I know she's taking a break but she does have extensive contact lists and is bound to know an Irish rescue who will leap upon your offer with open arms.  :sneaky:

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 17:20:57 PM »
They rang this afternoon to say they have someone coming to see the cats at the weekend who they are certain will take them both so that's fair enough.

I just hated constantly ringing as was feeling like I was badgering them!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 17:09:53 PM »
it could be that they are exceptionally busy and the cat is taken or they are exceptionally busy and not around to take calls.  I always say to people that if they don't get me right away keep trying... I just don't always have the time to return all calls at a reasonable hour!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 20:43:53 PM »
If I still lived in England I'd have been round to visit several of you by now  :)  but I live back in Northern Ireland now and there just aren't as many shelters over here. I know of a few and which ones I am in the catchment area for but I've been keeping an eye out for just the right cat. I'd have been to seen the two in the news box (Lucy and Bruce) if I could have gotten to Leeds. They are gorgeous.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 20:37:32 PM »
Which will be LH when it grows back  :)

Fair point!! Forgot the poor lad had been shaven.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 19:26:36 PM »
I'm sure Kelly-Joy could help you out too. Might be worth a pm

Good luck!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 19:09:00 PM »
Which will be LH when it grows back  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 19:05:51 PM »
Would you consider an older cat with diabetes? Reason I'm asking is there's one on here looking for a home.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
How often do I make enquiries at shelter?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 18:28:59 PM »
So as I've mentioned a few times  :Crazy: I'm hunting for cat No. 5. I want a rescue cat and would really like a long hair. I am being a bit fussy this time, never been before - every white or black cat in the country could have had a home with me. I'm determined this will be No.5 and final. I've got my heart set on a long hair like the main coon or ragdoll. I'm not looking for a pedigree just a cat with that look and they don't come up in rescues very often over here.

The thing is I have seen one and made some enquiries. Someone else had already been to see her so the shelter said they would give her first priority. They said they would ring me back and never have - that was a week ago. I tried ringing over the weekend and got an answer machine (they didn't return my message before so didn't leave one). Tried again this morning and got machine again so left message but again no-one has called back.

I understand that they are really busy but am I asking too much to ask for a return call and if not how often should I ring before giving up?? Was hoping someone else who works in rescues might  tell me whether to give up or keep trying??? I can think of nothing else now but don't want to drive the people in the rescue insane. I should also say they are over 1 hour away from me so can't just pop up to see them and I can't even find out their opening hours.

Link to CatChat