Author Topic: Jameson is (hopefully) getting a baby sister... advice please!  (Read 8274 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: Jameson is (hopefully) getting a baby sister... advice please!
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 18:56:43 PM »
He he, oops sorry for not updating yet!

Well today was a good day, as a LOT of the cats had been re-homed! Including you-know-who!!!!! I spent the morning scooping poop, changing water and handing out food. There are a lot of gorgeous kittys there, and I have fallen in love.... with a young female who is just under a year old. She is gorgeous and affectionate and quite small & dainty. She is black, and has very similar markings to Jameson - white bib, white socks on front paws and white long socks on back legs... I will speak to Barbara about rehoming her with us, although I wont be able to do it until September and she may be gone by then.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 18:25:48 PM »
So come on, give!  :)  What happened at the shelter?  :waiting:

I really think of a cat as a kitten at any point up to about 2 years old. 

I'm hoping, if you choose a pal for Jamieson, it will be a young boy and rather than a young kitten be at least 9 months old by which time you will have a better idea of his character. Our boys play lovely together and curl up. Miss Noni however just does her Sumo charge at them  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Very much in charge.

Also would be nice if any new pal had his op relatively young as boys who have their op late (say over 2 years old) may be more dominant. I say may as Freddie is a wuz and had his op aged 4 but I think he's more the exception than the rule.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 11:41:07 AM »
Hi Tigerbaby,

Yes, I agree with everything that has been said before...ya just never know how your cats are gonna take to a newbie in the house.  What WE imagine they would like is quite probably the very opposite to what THEY would actually like!  We only look at it from a human angle but cats are by nature solitary animals and only come together to mate etc. They live alone in the wild (I know there are feral cat colonies but they don't rely upon each other as a social group...as wild dogs do for example)  and hunt alone.

Because we humans live together in social groups and find it advantageous to survive this way, we imagine that all other animals would benefit from this form of social order.  But the cat has evolved to go it alone...and this is how he prefers it.  Indeed it is more amazing that so many of them DO interact with each other so well in multi-cat households than the other way round.

I'm sure from what you have written that Jameson is one of the friendlier little guys and that he most probably would find pleasure in the company of another feline but it is always an unknown.  When you introduce a dog into a household where there is already one in residence, you know that sooner or later they are going to become pals because it is the nature of the pack. Not so with cats.

I have seven cats and on the whole they interact reasonably enough...but I know at least three of them that would prefer to have less felines around and are unhappy when in the company of some of the others.  Which is probably just as well because if they hadn't put their steely little paws down, I would have ended up with a hundred cats and would be on the verge of bankruptcy!

I guess if you think about it it is like your husband coming home with a friend (male or female) and saying..'Hi darling, this is (whoever) and he/she has come to stay with us forever!!!'  How would we feel?  Not happy, that's for sure.  And why?  Because we liked our life as it was before, when the space we inhabited was ours and there were no additional pressures on us. 

So it is quite reasonable for 'solitary' animals to feel this way.  But what a dilemma for us animal lovers who know how many poor little loves are out there needing a good home.

Hope you find a lovely playmate for Jameson.  :luck:

Best wishes,

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline lucy3

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »
good luck at shelter i think its nice for cats to have a friend ive got 3 cats at moment had 8 at one time once loved it always someone around
looking forward seeing who is jamesons new friend

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »
ooooooooooooo goody!  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
Thank you all so much for the replies, they are worth a lot to me.

This morning (as we speak infact!) there is a new cat on our property. No idea if it's a male or female, but if it's a male then it's definitely neutered. If it's a female I'm not sure whether she is spayed, as she meows a lot. My point being - when J saw this cat he hurried outside to take a look. They both looked curious and J carefully walked up to the new cat and they sniffed each other.  Now they're lying on our lawn, moving closer and closer and Jameson doesnt seem at all threatened. If anything it confirms what I saw a while back (him playing with other cats) - he looks excited and curious.

So, maybe getting him a playmate would be a good idea after all... still not 100%, but I'm off to the shelter now... ;)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 18:02:09 PM »
Beavis (being a birman!) has always been very demanding , and has always loved his cat cuddles , and has always favoured hubby abovme. in fact he has always much preferred men to women , we are convinced he's gay! ;)

Since the new arrivals he has in some ways been a little more standoffish , but as time goes on he is coming back for his special one to one time , (Hes starting to forgive us I think!) and whilst the kittens love a good cuddle they are usually having for to much fun together to worry about us hoomans!

Unfortunately you cant tell how Jameson will react until the time comes , but at least now working at a rescue you may find a cat that you can get to know and have a better idea if they will slot intio your household! :Luv2:

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 01:51:33 AM »
I introduced an 8 week old kitten (Asha) to my 19 month old cat (Willow) a few weeks ago. Asha had to live in the bathroom for a few days while we swapped scents, had supervised visits, etc... but they seem ok now and play together. I have even seen them sleeping together a few times but it doesn't last long before one moves off, I still consider it a good sign though.

I thought a kitten would be less threatening to Willow but it turns out Asha is more dominant despite being about a 1/4 of Willow's size. I feel kinda guilty for Willow and with hindsight may have left her a solo cat, but done is done and I guess they'll work it out  :scared:

Whatever you decide I agree to wait until after your work trip, it will be stressful enough for the new cat without being distrupted again by the cattery.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 23:47:44 PM »
thinking about it I am not THAT bothered about the age of the cat, it was more that I imagined that a younger cat would suit Jameson better, he could still be the Big Daddy and boss the new cat around.. but maybe that would happen anyway with a new cat?

It's not guaranteed to happen that way with a kitten even.  When they're very little, they are no threat. But as they grow up the relationship between them may change.  If the kitten is a dominant individual, they will soon start challenging the adult cat.  Age will count for very little.  Mosi is a dominant cat - I knew that from the start as the breeder told me he was outgoing, lively and dominant.  When I got him home he was 13 weeks old and for a few weeks he was obviously the little kitten who posed no threat.  It was only a matter of weeks before he started to assert himself and challenged Jaffa.  It was mainly the fact that Jaffa was bigger than him that kept him in his place.  As he's grown up, he has not stopped challenging Jaffa to be boss cat but, unfortunately for Mosi, Jaffa is also a dominant cat and is physically bigger too. 

The point of my rambling as that an existing cat won't necessarily be boss when you get a new kitten.  It all depends on their individual purrsonalities, and in a way getting an adult cat may be better because the relationship between them should be sorted out sooner since they are both adults at the outset.  The relationship between a ktiten and adult cat is constantly evolving, at least until the kitten becomes socially mature at 2-3 years old.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 23:48:53 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 23:42:43 PM »
Just adding my experience for what it's worth. I've had experience of introducing 3 cats at different times to Dylan. The first one was Sophie my bridge babe. She was an adult when she came to me and I was worried because Dylan was (and still is) a real mummy's boy and he had been on his own for a year. I did do the intros fairly carefully but didn't have to worry about keeping them separate as Sophie hid for the first week  :rofl: Anyway they did get on really well together and soon became firm friends.

When I lost Sophie I attempted to adopt another cat from our branch and it was a disaster as, although she was lovely with me, she just kept going for poor Dylan all the time so she had to go back. A bit like Jameson poor Dylan was a bit traumatised by the whole thing.

That was why I decided to get a kitten as I thought Dylan would feel less threatened by a smaller feline. Hobbes came to live with me and Dylan and I did the intros gradually, keeping Hobbes in my bedroom even though that meant Dylan had to be excluded for a while. When they met (supervised) to start with there was a bit of hissing from Dylan but it was very half hearted, no ears back or ruffled fur, and the two of them get on really well. They sleep together a lot, wash each other and play together even though Dylan is nearly 9 now. He used to get a bit annoyed if Hobbes played with his tail but he justs moves away from him when he gets fed up  :rofl:

Me and Dylan are still really close and he still comes on to my knee and lies on me in bed but I still have plenty of time to give Hobbes cuddles and playtime too. I usually wake up to find them both snuggled up together at the bottom of the bed  :rofl:

On the kitten front yes they are a lot of work, I'd never had a kitten before so had no idea. Hobbes was 12 weeks old when he came to live with us and he has been a joy since the day I got him., despite the early morning wake-up calls  :rofl: Dylan is still my baby and he is such a gentle soul but I love Hobbes just as much.

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure Jameson would be fine with a sister or brother  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 23:21:32 PM »
Thank you all for your replies - lots of long interesting posts to read, all making sense. It's good to hear everyones view point.

Different circumstances I know but after I lost Tiggy I couldn't imagine feeling the same way about any other cat - ever, it didn't take the boys long to worm their way well and truly into my heart.  I haven't stopped loving and missing Tiggy just because I've fallen head over heels in love with my special boys - I have enough love for all of them  :Luv:
That's beautiful and I agree..

Both of my boys like meowmy time  ;D  Jaffa finds Mosi ok when he's in the mood for play or there's no-one else around, but he's a meowmy's boy and considers my company superior to that of another cat  ;D  Mosi likes snuggles too but I think he'd be unhappy without another cat.  That may be a breed thing though - Somalis are sociable cats and are known for getting on well with other cats.
Do you have a particular kitten in mind?  ;D
No not a particular kitten, but I did see a few and started imagining Jameson with a friend... thinking about it I am not THAT bothered about the age of the cat, it was more that I imagined that a younger cat would suit Jameson better, he could still be the Big Daddy and boss the new cat around.. but maybe that would happen anyway with a new cat?

Certainly the balance of the house hold changes with more cats and I expect that could make some cats very unhappy but of course you dont know until its too late.
Yes you're right, and thats my main worry - upsetting Jameson. He is my big furry number one baby!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 23:08:41 PM »
So, for you, as owners - what is it like caring for more than 1 cat, attention and quality time-wise?

Me and Jameson have lots of quality time together, where he'll snuggle up by my side and I'll give him long rubs and massages. He loves sleeping on my chest at night. I often massage his head and talk to him, and I swear (or Im just mad!) he looks me into my eyes as if he ''understands'' what I'm saying...

it's just small little things that are very special to me/him and I just wondered whether these things get affected, or if it's possible to give 2 cats equal attention (if they like it, that is) - or can cats get jealous (a bit like dogs can)?

I don't think having two is any different to having one as long as they get on!  I have special moments with both the boys, they are not always glued at the hip so sometimes one of them will be having special time (Indian head massages, toe stretching, head kissing etc) while the other one is asleep elsewhere.  If they are both together then I have two hands so everyone is happy  ;D

I think they give a lot to each other in terms of playtime, snuggle time and general company while I'm out.  I don't think there is any jealousy having two but sometimes if one hears me talking to the other one they'll rush over in case they're missing anything.  You won't stop feeling the way you do about Jameson just because there is another cat in your life and I'll think you'll be surprised at how quickly you will fall in love with another cat.  Different circumstances I know but after I lost Tiggy I couldn't imagine feeling the same way about any other cat - ever, it didn't take the boys long to worm their way well and truly into my heart.  I haven't stopped loving and missing Tiggy just because I've fallen head over heels in love with my special boys - I have enough love for all of them  :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 23:07:40 PM »
 ;D

For what it's worth, my opinions..

I think you should definitely wait until after 12 Aug and you know you can be around.  Kittens do need a lot of attention.  They vary, and my view will be influenced by manic Mosi, but kittens in general are quite demanding and do need someone around a lot to keep them out of trouble.

Going outside - not until fully vaccinated and neutered, imo.  If it is winter and the evenings are dark when the kitten reaches that age, I would wait until spring when the days are getting longer.  Not only is there the risk of females going into heat early and getting pregnant and toms wandering in search of females if you let them out before that, but young kittens don't have much road sense (or much sense of any sort!) and I think it's better to wait until they've acquired a little bit more natural caution that seems to come with age before you let them outside unsupervised.

As far as introductions go, I agree with taking things slowly and keeping them separate to start with if you can.  It's better to go too slow and find that things go better than expected when you do introduce them than to go too quickly and have problems.  Having said that, there is a lot to be said for just letting them get on with it and sometimes that works out fine.  I wasn't sure what to do when I brought Mosi home as I only have a one bed flat and Jaffa was used to having all of it.  I ended up shutting Jaffa in the bedroom with a litter tray initially and keeping Mosi in the living room.  After about 6 hours (when Mosi had used the litter tray in the living room - I wanted him to get used to it being there as there isn't usually one in the bedroom) I just carried him into the bedroom to see how they both reacted.  Apart from a bit of hissing and growling from Jaffa, things were ok and I never separated them again.  Jaffa would growl or hiss if Mosi got too close for a day or 2, but there was never anything too nasty and Mosi was never frightened or in any danger.  I just let them get on with it and things worked out ok.

As to male or female - I don't think it matters much so I would just go with whichever individual kitten takes your fancy, regardless of whether it's male or female.  I don't think the fact that Jameson had a run in with the male from next door means he won't get on with another male.  That was an unneutered tom - a kitten that will be neutered at the right time would not be a threat in the same way.  In general, I think male/male introductions are the easiest, but a female kitten should be fine too.  So I wouldn't worry too much about the sex.

Both of my boys like meowmy time  ;D  Jaffa finds Mosi ok when he's in the mood for play or there's no-one else around, but he's a meowmy's boy and considers my company superior to that of another cat  ;D  Mosi likes snuggles too but I think he'd be unhappy without another cat.  That may be a breed thing though - Somalis are sociable cats and are known for getting on well with other cats.

Do you have a particular kitten in mind?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 23:11:20 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 22:57:28 PM »
In my humble opinion and have had one cat, then two cats and now four, the attention and time thing is a problem, especially when one cat had it all.

I have two pairs now but Misa used to get all the attention cos Sasa doesnt do attention but now there is a daily war as birmans love attention, infact they want it 100% to themselves and Franta and Misa frequently are viaing for the same spot or the closest to me but Franta is smaller and wiser and more determined, also likes being a lap cat.

This makes Misa very upset.

Ducha is also greedy for attention and although he will cuddle up with his bro during the day to sleep . not at night and he sleeps in the bed with me but occasionally Frant wants to be there too and will get there fits and Ducha hates it and will try and push in and when he succeeds  Franta just leaves.

Certainly the balance of the house hold changes with more cats and I expect that could make some cats very unhappy but of course you dont know until its too late.

When I brought the birman pair into the household the dynamics changed completely and the happy pair I had were never the same again despite very careful introductions.  Franta wants to be the top cat but Misa is and also he wants to play with Sasa and she hates it. Sometimes I think I am gonna have world war 3 break out and if I could turn the clock back with hindsight , I would have just kept on with Misa and Sasa although I love the other two very much and they are a lot older, but that is why I asked why you wanted another cat.

When I had Kocka I was like you thinking of a kitten but wasnt sure cos Kocka was a lot older but used to being the only cat with me and suspected that she wasnt too keen on intruders into her parish.

I asked my vet and he said definately no other cat cos she would hate it. He was so right cos a homeless ginger boy tried to move in and she would attack him, he was gorgeous and so placid he would just sit there and let her but she used to make his ears bleed and I couldnt have him being hurt, so CP took him and he went straight to a new home.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 22:43:47 PM »
When I had three together they were far more interested in each other than me though each of them, sometimes, would come for an individual cuddle.  Took a lot of pressure of me though as they played together whereas with Charlie I am his sole playmate.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 22:39:24 PM »
So, for you, as owners - what is it like caring for more than 1 cat, attention and quality time-wise?

Me and Jameson have lots of quality time together, where he'll snuggle up by my side and I'll give him long rubs and massages. He loves sleeping on my chest at night. I often massage his head and talk to him, and I swear (or Im just mad!) he looks me into my eyes as if he ''understands'' what I'm saying...

it's just small little things that are very special to me/him and I just wondered whether these things get affected, or if it's possible to give 2 cats equal attention (if they like it, that is) - or can cats get jealous (a bit like dogs can)?

Love that clip  :rofl: :rofl:
Was that water you had by the laptop? If so I would have been terrified he would knock it over LOL.  Mine dont take any notice of TV or screens, well Franta does and he seems to watch TV sometimes.

I reckon you left a prawn or two in that keyboard  :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: yes probably!! Yes I have water there... in a yellow bottle? It's got a screw top on it though!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 22:35:36 PM »
Love that clip  :rofl: :rofl:

Was that water you had by the laptop? If so I would have been terrified he would knock it over LOL.  Mine dont take any notice of TV or screens, well Franta does and he seems to watch TV sometimes.

I reckon you left a prawn or two in that keyboard  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 19:34:02 PM »
Sorry Tb thought I had replyed to you earlier.........................I have three and a half cats , Beavis  , jerry and Gizzy live in my side of the house and Fredcat lives in Mum and Dads side!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 18:21:41 PM »
If you get an older kitten you have less time with flap problems and also you can be more sure that your matching a suitable character. The size would be better too incase Jameson gets too rough, hes a big lad!!

I think a boy may be better, they prefer the rough and tumble side of things but you do get girls that are tom boys and like a bit of rough!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 14:52:49 PM »
 :rofl: you two!
Yes I would supervise the 2 closely... When my neighbour had a kitten a while ago, I showed him to Jameson, and Jameson didn't seem to mind it, but had a ''concerned'' expression on his face, like who's the little one? And this little clip of Jameson ''searching'' for the kittens made me feel he'd become a good big brother!! (a clip on youtube with homeless kittens... it woke J up from his coma like sleep)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wYAlZmky9M

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 14:52:20 PM »
I would definitely wait until August before getting the new girl.  I think one of each sex is nice.  When we got Sophie, I was a bit concerned how Ollie would react.  We let her out of the carrier when we got home (Ollie had a quick sniff through the carrier door) and we had absolutely no problems - I think he knew she was only a baby and he wasn't in the least bothered.  Good luck weith whatever kitty you choose.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 14:44:09 PM »

And I tend to agree with Michelle, when I've tried the softly, softly approach with intros it's normally worked less effectively than if I open the cat carrier and let the cats figure it out - under supervision obviously.

Yes i should have added that i keep a close eye on what is going on of course.

Doh! Wasn't inferring you didn't Michelle. :) Just wanted to clarify I did. (Had images of people shaking their head and tutting at my "leave them to it" attitude! :evillaugh:)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 13:29:51 PM »
Years ago, I used to do the 'open the cat basket and let them sort it' method, but in the past 10 yrs or so, its been the gradual intros. I can't say I had any problems with the first method, just wouldnt do it that way now, although introducing to a large group is easier than introducing to existing 'only' cat, I think.

I do think though that a male kitten might be better. It has been my experience that males cats are generally more laid back about other cats.

Not my experience that males are more laid back than females! If it was me introducing new cat to Jameson, I'd choose female. Agree with others about waiting till August though.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 13:18:08 PM »
We’ve introduced both ways as well and only once had a problem. Smoke who we adopted from a local shelter was terrified of our Burmese until I kept her in our library for a week so she could gain some confidence (and weight).

After that they’ve been best friends.

Penguin walked out of the carrier like he owned the place and both girls are happy with him around even if he is a boy.

Gizmo we kept in the library again for a bit mostly for our own sanity – we didn’t think he slept (12 week old kitten at the time).

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 13:15:08 PM »

And I tend to agree with Michelle, when I've tried the softly, softly approach with intros it's normally worked less effectively than if I open the cat carrier and let the cats figure it out - under supervision obviously.

Yes i should have added that i keep a close eye on what is going on of course.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 12:58:31 PM »
As for introducing, I can only tell you how i have done it (got 11 cats at the moment and altogether i have had 16 cats over the years).
I have never gone for the "keeping them apart"....The new kitten has been brought home, the carrier opened and thats it !! Yes there has been some hissing and the occasional slap but it has always worked. Sometimes doing a slow introducing can't actually lead to problems (as we have read a few times on here).
Interesting! I seem to remember OH's mum saying that is the way they have done it too.

It can be tough intergrating cats and sometimes a long haul situation. But if Jameson seems to only be upset by the unneutered tom that was visiting, it's possible he was just really worried about his territory.
I would like to think so too.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 12:54:19 PM »
It can be tough intergrating cats and sometimes a long haul situation. But if Jameson seems to only be upset by the unneutered tom that was visiting, it's possible he was just really worried about his territory.

I've had five cats live together for a good few years before, with no real signs of aggression or unhappiness.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 12:51:13 PM »
I agree to wait till after your hols etc

As for introducing, I can only tell you how i have done it (got 11 cats at the moment and altogether i have had 16 cats over the years).
I have never gone for the "keeping them apart"....The new kitten has been brought home, the carrier opened and thats it !! Yes there has been some hissing and the occasional slap but it has always worked. Sometimes doing a slow introducing can't actually lead to problems (as we have read a few times on here).

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
Firstly I wouldn't get a new kitten until you are back for your hols - firstly kitty may be confused as he has a new house , and then goes back to his old one , and secondly you wont enjoy your holiday whilst you are worrying about your new baby!
Ahh I wish I was going on holiday - this is work, that I actually had to cancel my holiday for!! Arghh - but I know what you meant  ;)

I know Jameson has access to all rooms , but maybe for the short term if you can find a room for the new kitty so they have some space , and so does Jameson it will make life a lot easier!
Yes it makes sense... only problem is the space, the only room we could shut the new cat in would be our bedroom, which is also J's bedroom and where his scratching post and toys are. How do cats react to their stuff being moved? Maybe we don't actually have the space at home to take on a new cat.. hmm makes me think.

Kittens are hard work - I like you work on and off but they are happy enough in their own room for the hours I am not there (never more than a couple at a time!) and they are certainly high energy , but they have given us so much fun it is well well worth it! they are currently shredding paper under the PC desk - Old man Beavis is asleep on the conservatory table!

Best of luck deciding xx :Luv2:
Thank you! Yes I have to go away and have a think. How many cats do you have now Kirst?

Going to speak to OH's parents too, they have had cats all their lives and always 3 at a time (mind you they live on the countryside), all their cats get on with each other.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 12:36:37 PM »
Having been very recently in the same position as you I can let you know what I did!

Firstly I wouldn't get a new kitten until you are back for your hols - firstly kitty may be confused as he has a new house , and then goes back to his old one , and secondly you wont enjoy your holiday whilst you are worrying about your new baby!

As for introductions..............we were lucky in that we have a spare room that we used for the new boys , also as we had two together sothey keep each other company!  ;)For the first few days we introduced the smells of the kittens to the house , and we propped the door slightly open so thy could sniff each other and there was some paw batting action going on.

We then let the newbies out for maybe an hour at a time , where they were subjected to some hissing and some satan-cat style growling from Beavis. They were not allowed out unsupervised for a good 2 weeks! They will not be allowed outside until they have had they 'bit's' snipped - they have had all their vacs now!

We have had them for 4 weeks on Monday , and Beavis has now reached a level of begrudging acceptance - he is happy to cuddle up until they start attacking his tail , then they get told off................but we have had no fights , and the kittens soon figured out when to leave him alone! :evillaugh:

I know Jameson has access to all rooms , but maybe for the short term if you can find a room for the new kitty so they have some space , and so does Jameson it will make life a lot easier!

Kittens are hard work - I like you work on and off but they are happy enough in their own room for the hours I am not there (never more than a couple at a time!) and they are certainly high energy , but they have given us so much fun it is well well worth it! they are currently shredding paper under the PC desk - Old man Beavis is asleep on the conservatory table!

Best of luck deciding xx :Luv2:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »
Thanks Gill - it makes sense, so will wait until Aug/Sep.

I've seen Jameson play with other cats in the neighbourhood before, which leads me to think he's ok with other/some cats. One young female in particular was a good friend of his, and we saw them play often, although this was a while back now and I havent seen her since.

just wondering why you want to get another cat?
Both me and OH are pretty happy just with Jameson as the only cat, but I got the impression cats are happier with a buddy? I would also love to rescue a cat in need - don't get me wrong, it doesn't has to be a kitten, I just feel a young cat would be more suitable. We haven't made a 100% decision yet, whether we are definitely going to adopt, I'm only testing the water right now.

Thanks for your help - definitely makes sense what you're saying!

Preferably wait until her-next-door moves, but clearly that won't be an option.
She told me the other day she is thinking of moving....  I just hope she's doing it too!!!!!!

I do think though that a male kitten might be better.
Interesting! I thought a female would ''balance'' things out?

Definitely do not let the kitten outdoors until it is neutered and vaccinated, which means you will need to keep it indoors for six months. Think about this when deciding the age of the cat you adopt. You can't keep a kitten in a cage for that long ...
Oh yes - when I say kitten, I mean a young cat, not neccessarily an 8 week old kit. Ok, 6 months, I'll keep that in mind.

But when I was at the shelter/cattery (much the same as you describe) there was someone who adopted a kitten to go with her cat and they came into the cattery not all that long after the adoption and they were absolutely fine .. so it can be done.
Seems like it depends on the cat. Glad your lot were fine with each other! I guess my main worry is Jameson getting confused again.

Thanks all - interesting info and viewpoints!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
I agree with bc reference a male kitten cos once they are neutered they are really loving. Female cats can sometimes be a bit ummmmmmmm pushy  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:09:24 PM »
I agree with Gill that waiting until August is a good idea. Firstly so you can be confident you will be there when the newbie arrives, and secondly to give Jamieson a chance to recover from the traumas he has had of late. Preferably wait until her-next-door moves, but clearly that won't be an option.

Smidgen was 14 weeks old when he arrived and never stopped. He was into everything and exploring and demanding games of everything that moved (including the dog, lol). So be prepared for lots of play time. I do think though that a male kitten might be better. It has been my experience that males cats are generally more laid back about other cats. Smidgen has made friends with all the neighbourhood cats and invites them into the yard to play on a frequent basis. Esther has also done this, so obviously it is not a set rule.

Definitely do not let the kitten outdoors until it is neutered and vaccinated, which means you will need to keep it indoors for six months. Think about this when deciding the age of the cat you adopt. You can't keep a kitten in a cage for that long ...

But I think that once he gets over the shock Jamieson will love having company.

Oh, and cattery wise. If they have only been together a couple of months, I would never put two cats in the same run - preferable adjacent ones, but not the same one ... it is too close for comfort when they are still getting to know each other ..

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:21 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO for Jameson and you and the future Kitty  :wow: :wow: Having not done cat to cat introductions I can't help with most of it. But when I was at the shelter/cattery (much the same as you describe) there was someone who adopted a kitten to go with her cat and they came into the cattery not all that long after the adoption and they were absolutely fine .. so it can be done.

Memphis didn't take much to look after, just 4 meals a day and some play time. I've had all my lot since they were all tiny .. Mig was 5 weeks, Molly 8 weeks and Memphis 9 weeks .. Memphis has been the easiest one to look after.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:30 AM »
I think this is very difficult , although I know others just dont really do what I would call proper introductions. So I can only give you my individual opinion.

First, definately wait until after 12 Aug and then also until Jameson gets over his cattery visit.

I think that Jameson who has had the house to himself until now will need the kitten completely seperated from him  with the kittens smell being introduced round the house before the cage. If Jameson doesnt like the new cat and you are out and its trapped in a cage with Jameson unhappy and maybe tormrnting it, this would be very bad for both.

You will need to have a room shut off that jameson is not allowed to go in for a while and once the new cat is happy in that room and has explored then move it to another room to explore and allow Jameson into the first room again cos then he will be able to smell the new cat. The theory is that you do this with every room to give the new cat knowledge of the house and find places to hide and gradually spread its scent round the house.

Its impossible to know whether Jameson will like another cat in his house and just wondering why you want to get another cat?

Young cats should not go outside until neutered and fully vaccinated.

I think the ladies at the cat home are right , that a Tom spraying and Jameson were bound to clash but the question is now , whether this has made him very nervous about other cats. I believe that kittens are a lot of work because of their energy level and they may be too young for Jameson but I have never had a kitten so dont really know cept what I have read on Purrs.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Jameson is (hopefully) getting a baby sister... advice please!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »
So, although I was very put off having two cats last week after the tomcat incident (- for those of you who don't know about it - we had a tom starting to come into our house, eating J's food and finally attacking J... it was our neighbours cat who she refused to snip) I've spoken to the lovely ladies at the local cat home about adopting a female kitten/young female as a companion to my Jameson. The ladies at the cat home eased my worries of bringing in another cat into our household - saying Jameson and the tom were bound to clash, and that another cat in the house would not end up being a problem, rather the opposite!

I feel in my heart that it would be best to adopt a young female, OH feels the same. We looked at a few kittens there and (obviously) got tempted to bring one home. But first I want to look at our situation this summer, and ask you all a few questions, incase we end up adopting a kitten.

First off, how much time does a kitten require? Luckily my work is from home most of the time, so I usually spend 24-7 here, and have plenty of time to spend on Jameson/new cat. On the odd few days I have to go out and work (a normal working day, say leaving my house at 8am, coming back around 7.30). Between now and end of July I will be at home every day 24 hours, apart from 6 days (where I'll be back in early evening). 28th July - 12 Aug I will be away for work, although OH might be home. I had planned to put Jameson in the cattery for some of this time, would it be ok to put them in a cattery together during this time? (baring in mind, this is the same place the kitten would come from - the cattery and cat home is in the same place).
Or would it be better to wait to get another cat until after the 12th of Aug when I don't have any work booked requiring me going away?
I will only adopt a 2nd cat if the situation is ideal. I know the adoption process might take some time too, maybe it's better to wait until after 12th of Aug? Incase things get delayed - I don't want to end up getting the new cat a few days before going away! I will have to put Jameson in the cattery either way during that time, and part of me feels he would be less stressed if he didn't go alone, but he might be even more stressed if it's with a new cat?

Secondly, when can a young cat start venturing outside? We have a catflap, and it would soon learn how to use it. How do I prevent a cat from going outside if it's too young? I can't really lock the flap (because of Jameson)

Thirdly, what is the best way of introducing the two? We don't have a spare room, and Jameson has access to all rooms, and he patrols them on daily basis. We do have a tucked away corner where I figured we could put the kitten, with a littertray and food bowls. It would be tucked away enough for Jameson to be able to avoid it if he wanted, or explore it if he wished. Would it be ok to use a dog type cage in the beginning, to put the kitten in while we're out? (together with litter tray, bed and food of course). Or maybe it's best to put the new cat in a separate room and close the door altogether? I just thought if we're out, and the kitten is in a cage then Jameson can still see/smell her and get used to her in his own time.

I'm sure I have more questions too, but these are the q's I can come up with now.

As you can tell I've never gone through this process before - it was so easy when Jameson moved in, one day he was just there on our doorstep, we didn't have to teach him anything - apart from using the catflap! He was the one teaching me everything!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:42:48 AM by tigerbaby »

Link to CatChat