Author Topic: Todays the day our new family arrives  (Read 12220 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Todays the day our new family arrives
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2009, 16:02:55 PM »
Its not just tuna that causes the lumps its oily fish which includes pilchards  :sick: They are probably a) bored of the same dinner and b) having a natural response to wanting alternative nutrients in their diet, all animals know instinctively what they need to eat and when.

I read no end of crap in a RC leaflet about cats choosing their food by macronutrients only and not by choice of flavour but i think we all know cats do have taste preferences, how bored they get eating one flavour all the time!  :tired:

There are other less grainy yet more tasty alternatives to Burns available...
Something to think about while their still young

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2009, 22:02:19 PM »
I know feeding tuna to cats often will turn them into tuna junkies, that is why they don't get it all the time, as we discussed.  My dog has had the odd fatty lump (like a pimple) and the German shepherd breed is prone to them.  However, they don't eat tuna!

I think as long as they have a good variety of food, and not too much of anything you will not go far wrong.  If the babies have gone off the Burns it maybe that they are having a sweetie moment, and want the naughty food they may have tried, or most likely want chicken!  Reweigh the amount you are feeding, they may not need quite as much.

Keep up the good work!   :Luv2:
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2009, 21:52:21 PM »
I have come across and do have concerns about tuna for humans causing fatty lumps (Tom and Gandolf both in later life) which, whilst not life threatening, are quite painful for puds if squeezed .. like when you pick pud up. I think this occurs through too much tuna over a long period but, as our newbies are very young, I am esp concerned not to get them hooked on it. It can be quite addictive stuff.  None of them get much at all though altho Noni goes into crazy mode for a teaspoonful.  Have to say Burns food mixed with pilchard was very well received by newbies initially (existing 3 not impressed at all) but newbies not overly keen anymore  :-:

I have to confess I went out and bought a box of felix kitten pouches the other day which I was going to mix with the Burns kitten dry and see if they liked it a bit more  :-:.  They also get a little cooked chicken each evening. Dinah also supplements her meals by finishing off food put down for N, B & F if we aren't quick enough  ;) 

Apart from Ruby getting sick in wee hours of Wednesday (I am quite sure thru overeating, had to stop her eating Millie's supper; was worried sick for a while of course) everyone seems fighting (well playing) fit.

I have never come across a cat with a more silky coat than Dinah. She's like stroking silk  :Luv:

Thanks both for your concern about our newbies.  Very much appreciated. 

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 20:48:05 PM »
I wasn't aware about the problem with oily fish, usually for humans it is promoted as a healthy food, but as we all know, we can "go to work on an egg" and then we can have no more than 3 a week, so who knows because the guidelines we get change all the time!  I can honestly say I have not seen ANY of the symptoms described in the link you posted thankfully.

I feed Burns and fish together usually, sometimes the odd feed just dry, and sometimes some of my own cats (two who are a little gingivitis looking in the gums - have been since being tiny) get a raw chicken wing (free range).  I do not overfeed, so the overweight thing is not an issue.  I am not happy to see grains in cat or dog food though and have considerer Orijen, but that is brought in from Canada and is not great for our air miles.  I also add a little filtered water to the food when it is mixed with fish, so again the percentage of fish is reduced.

Mr Burns did indeed get into trouble claiming that the foods could fix this and that, but he had not registered them as a medicine type of diet, and in a way it is akin to face cream manufacturers telling us all our wrinkles will be gone if we use their cream. 

The other day I boiled the bones for our Mum to be cat, and you should have seen the amount of jelly I managed to produce from the bones and the filtered water, it made me realise just how much the manufacturers can bulk out the food by adding such simple ingredients!

I have no idea what mammals die from mostly, that would be impossible to ascertain, as a lot of wild mammals are eaten by predators before they reach adulthood, and if they are sick die of their illnesses as they are not lucky enough to have veterinary treatment, I do know cancer is a major problem with 1 out of 3 humans dying from it, but I am not a statistician for animals or humans so cannot help you there.  I try to feed the best I can afford, and have read and re-read food labels over many years, and at the end of the day the pet food industry is huge and is out there to make a profit first, and not worry about how healthy our animals are first and foremost unfortunately.  But if we don't buy the poor quality ones then hopefully our animals will gain better health.  I do not get paid by Burns or receive any of their food free for our charity or my own pets, and have constantly refused free hand outs from our charity because I do not want to feed those type of foods that may have been donated, and have paid the extra out of my own pocket, to give the animals a better start whilst they are fostered with me.

When the cats are at the vets the nurses often compliment me on how well behaved and happy the foster cats behave whilst in their care, even after having their neutering and spay operations, in fact it happened again today, I was told how friendly they were towards the staff, something must be working thankfully!
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 19:45:26 PM »
Rosella, thought this might be of interest to you, susannes link in particular
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,22412.0.html

Daily oily fish isnt a good idea due to the amount of unsaturated fats in it, burns food is unpalatable for a reason - its far too grainy for cats to like it, that much grain is imo what leads to obesity and diabetes. :shy:

Mr burns got himself into alot trouble for all his claims of what his products stops, realistically the reason cats are getting thyroid and kidney problems is because they are living longer? afterall isnt organ failure expected to be a main cause of death in any mammel? especially one living on dry food!

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2009, 16:22:36 PM »
Rosella
Thanks for the lovely photos and updates.  Most folks find that Burns is not as well liked as some other foods, because Burns does not contain the sort of stuff that is often sprayed/coated on as is often found on other brands.  I always think the pilchards help with this problem. 

Children would always prefer sweets to cabbage and wholemeal bread I suppose, and it is just the same with the kitties.  But stick with it, and you will see good results.  It is not just for now, but in the years to come, when you have cats that haven't hopefully, got thyroid problems, kidney problems etcetera.

The other good thing is that because of the whole rice, it stops them becoming as hungry as they might with an-other brand.  I appreciate they will have their moments, and have growth spurts, but be patient and I am sure you will be pleased with their general health and contentment.

You could always look at raw feeding, there is plenty of information on the web about it, the cats love it, especially the younger ones who have not had chance to be spoiled by poor quality food.  You will need a stronger stomach than if you just feed kibble though!  Ginge nad Biggles go mad for chicken wings (raw), and it helps their teeth a great deal.  It's no good buying cheap chicken, it has to be free range - they know!
Coventry Cat Group

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2009, 15:48:32 PM »
Noni is very much a "look at me" cat if I remember rightly, but she does seemingly manage to share her humans despite that! Glad things aren't too hectic. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2009, 15:45:22 PM »
Oh my , do you think Noni is jealous of having girls around?

So sad that such a young cat had kittens but I reckon they all gonna be great, must admit I love Ruby  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
New family
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2009, 15:35:21 PM »
Still early days but just a quick update.  This is day 6 and they are amazingly settled although can't say quite the same for existing 3 residents. The newbies' true colours are now beginning to show thru and I don't mean fur colour  ;) 

I think Dinah (mom) is a bit younger than we thought. I'd guess at less than 1 year.  She eats any time she gets the opportunity but is very slim. She can be quite naughty in a playful way. She's very trusting/cuddly and a fab mom who stands no nonsense from babies when it's bathtime.  She will always take a back seat to kitties if they want to play or eat.  We have been introducing her very slowly for short periods over last few days and I've just brought Dinah and little uns into lounge for 10 mins with existing 3 (well Billy joined us for last 10 seconds and ran behind the settee).  I'm trying not to force anything but am taking the opportunity whilst I'm off for the week to make some progress.

Millie, the slightly smaller, blacker of the 2 kitties is a menace, a monster  ;)  No one stands a chance of joining in playtime sessions if she is present and she won't share her food plate; preferring instead to crane her neck over to the other side of the plate and eat that.  Obviously they have separate plates now.  She's appalling......ly gorgeous  ;D

Then there's little Ruby with 2 extra toes on each front paw and a dew claw on each back paw.  She is to die for and has so far wormed her way just a titchy bit deeper into our hearts.  She's playful of course but in a softer way compared to mom and sis.

Freddie just wants to sniff them constantly, Noni wants them to keep their distance and Billy wants them all to go... now!

So that's where we are.  It's so nicenot being in panic mode about the introductions. My calmness is all down to Dinah who is so placid and trusting.  It'll be interesting for me to come back to this thread in 6 months time to remind myself how they were initially and see if their purrsonalities have changed at all.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 15:36:09 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2009, 18:28:59 PM »
Great pics of black kittens, how many turned out as black blurs?  :rofl:
I dont envy you weaning them off daily fish tho  :tired:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2009, 17:30:25 PM »
Sorry Gillian, just occurred to me "Mom posts" are in members only section and I've tracked down your last post about mom. No need to respond on this thread  :-[

No probs! I've been meaning to update - she's much improved by the way!  ;)

Shame about the mat, I'm going to have to try and track one down, good excuse to spend even more time on computer LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 15:58:16 PM »
awww  :Luv2: they are all sooooo beautiful
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 15:55:41 PM »
Sorry Gillian, just occurred to me "Mom posts" are in members only section and I've tracked down your last post about mom. No need to respond on this thread  :-[

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 13:57:31 PM »
By the way, where did you get that mat from? - the one with all the cats on it - like it.  ;)

Two by Two pet shop at Merry Hill Shopping Centre near Dudley. A bit far from you I think Gillian. 

I've been a bit distracted recently and apologise if I've missed any update but is your mum getting on OK?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2009, 13:25:08 PM »
They are gorgeous  :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 13:13:12 PM »
I love Dinah!  :Luv2: she looks so serene. Love the pic of the two kittens eating out of their bowl in silhouette with the sunlight bouncing off the cupboard - gorgeous pic!  :Luv2: By the way, where did you get that mat from? - the one with all the cats on it - like it.  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »
I like the little one above sprawling....I love seeing cats do that. :)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2009, 10:14:39 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

I love the 4th one down, little baby in the white radiator bed. So sweeepy!!!!  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »
:Luv: :Luv: Awwww! But we still need piccies of the other three you know! ;) :Luv:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »
Google no longer showing scarey messages about Photobucket so

.....prepare for the onslaught.......

Next photo obviously Ruby showing off one of her thumbs  :Luv:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 23:07:06 PM »
Rosella...........  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

You lucky person you, they is gorgeous.

Dinah sounds a lot like Pearl with the titties on display. If you're not careful, I may just come and euhm, "borrow" her.....  :sneaky:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2009, 22:39:15 PM »
We're feeding them what they are used to eating i.e. Burns dry kitten food mixed with pilchards in tomato sauce although I drain off the majority of tomato sauce. Mom eats Burns dry adult food also mixed well with the pilchards. Mom and kits are eating fine and are fed 3 to 4 small meals a day.  Each meal about the size of palm of my hand so quite small.  Also large bowl of water which they all use fine. 

I tried Mom's food with existing 3 yesterday but no chance.  I'm very wary of kittens overeating and maybe getting tummy upsets. Happily both ends currently working well   :)

Look forward to more photos of Lucy and Neo...

Offline Lucy and Neo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2009, 21:21:45 PM »
Glad all are ok will post some more pics of lucy and neo the sister of the other kittys. Mum is lovely nearly wanted to have her myself :sneaky: They are going vets 2moz for check up etc. What are you feeding the kittens? How much are they eating? Lucy and Neo are a little fussy been feeding them burns still wondered if it ran in the family with the other kittens? ;D

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2009, 17:31:02 PM »
Best of luck Rosella, its all go at your place :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 17:22:33 PM »
Hmmm, what was that?  :innocent: Awww, glad it's going well.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 17:15:22 PM »
Did you say something Rosella  :rofl: :rofl:

Forgot to tell you that sometimes I can only lip read and need binoculars on as well  :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2009, 17:12:09 PM »
Problem we have atm Judith is that N, B & F do not seem to mind when OH stays in room with D, M & R but much catterwalling from the landing after 5 mins of me going in so not sure me staying with newbies is currently on the agenda.  OH not complaining but can see this becoming an ishoo in a couple of days and will cope with it then..   :shify: 

I think I've caught Dinah's laid back vibes... she is simply amazing.  Splayed back legs with tummy on full display not uncommon now.  She's had 6 visitors to put up with today one of whom (my nephew) aged 2 1/2 and she just went right over to him and rubbed against him    :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: which he just loved to bits!  :Luv:  I promise I was in full control and kept reminding him to sssshhhhh.

N,B & F as usual just hid somewhere quiet till the excitement was over.

Shutters are up btw and no cat napping happening here esp Freddie or indede the Princess ..... you listening Gill JS?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2009, 16:38:38 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm of course not  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 16:30:21 PM »
Shame on you Gill! Taking an opportunity to try and snaffle Noni and Freddie. I'd never dream of doing that..... :shify: :evillaugh:

Glad you got lots of sleep, Rosella.  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2009, 16:19:30 PM »
I love the conference and Frddie or is it Billy , can never remember, has markings in the same place as Sasa......must be related so popping over to collect him and his friend Noni.....will ease your problems  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 14:39:41 PM »
Oh! dear, I wonder what was going on?  Were they tearing around the room?

I hope things improve tonight, or I think it will soon be your turn!  :evillaugh:
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 14:20:56 PM »
Hope your first night went well. :)

OH was able to sleep from about 3am to 6am. I slept like a log  :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 14:19:33 PM »
LMAO at the pic of Noni, Freddie & Billy Whiz, it looks as though you have disturbed them in the middle of a conference as to ascertain what's going on and meowmy's just disturbed the meeting, and they are all saying " shhhh, here she comes "  :rofl:

:rofl:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »
LMAO at the pic of Noni, Freddie & Billy Whiz, it looks as though you have disturbed them in the middle of a conference as to ascertain what's going on
and meowmy's just disturbed the meeting, and they are all saying " shhhh, here she comes "  :rofl:

Dinah and the Babies are  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
Hope your first night went well. :)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
Rosella they are just so gorgeous, dont think I could work if I had them :Luv:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »
Aww mum is gorgeous, and love the stripey kittens  :Luv2:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »
They are all lovely  :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 08:08:56 AM »
The kittens are beautiful :Luv: and look so relaxed already,but Dinah is fab :Luv: she looks so much like my Eddie and if she is anything like him she will be a real cuddlepot :Luv2: :Luv2:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 23:50:08 PM »
They are all gorgeous, I am very jealous, wish I could have another one or two or three ..........  :rofl:

Link to CatChat