Author Topic: One tray or Two?  (Read 2297 times)

ccmacey

Re: One tray or Two?
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 23:05:11 PM »
Rolo especially does like to use other trays - he wont poo in his own, but will use anyone elses

Dont crap in your own nest do you  :rofl:

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 23:02:56 PM »
behaviourist rule when sorting out households that have troubles, some cats just wont use a tray that someone else has been in 

Yes I know I have a 5yo that poops in the bath/ kitchen floor, I have give up trying now lol

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 19:43:18 PM »
Same here. Alice has her own tray in the attic but there are 3 others around the house - all 3 of them use the nearest one or go outside  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 19:29:52 PM »
I have one tray for 2 cats.  It is the size of a bath tub though!  When I got Jaffa and Magpie, I didn't know about the one tray per cat plus one rule, so just stuck one big tray in the corner and they were happy to share for 8 years.  When I got Mosi I added another tray, partly so that I could put the litter he was used to in that and take off the door, but they both just used both trays so I got rid of the extra one and they are both happy to share.  It does depend on the cats though and it's a good idea to start off with more than one.  If they are happy to share then that's great, if not you will have to always have 2 or 3.  It also depends on the size of the space.  If I lived in a house instead of a small flat, I'd have an extra tray upstairs regardless of whether they were happy to share a tray.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 19:15:06 PM »
I have one tray per cat - I dont have the extra tray, but 2 trays rarely get used cos of cats going outside, and Rolo especially does like to use other trays - he wont poo in his own, but will use anyone elses, except Zi's, cos he doesn't like the door on her covered tray.
Please spay your cat

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 19:01:55 PM »
I have ended up with using 4 trays for 5 cats now.

Some of mine wont use the same tray for number one and use another for the other.

Bertie used to go on the carpet in the hallway so glad I have stopped that now.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 18:59:35 PM »
CC its a behaviourist rule when sorting out households that have troubles, some cats just wont use a tray that someone else has been in, some of us are lucky and dont need them all  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 18:49:56 PM »
I must admit I dont have 10 tray's for 10 cats.....mine all use each other's anyway and luckily I dont have any issue's...

Definitely a case of how well your cats bode together me thinks!  ;)

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 14:37:48 PM »
I have 5 cats and 3 trays but only 1 in use at a time. I also change it every night and put fresh in.

I dont understand who made this 1 each plus 1 rule as some people have over 10 cats and I think this would be a rediculous amount of litter trays, and the pong.

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »
Yes that definately sounds like a good idea. I'm going to buy a covered litter tray at put that one in its 'designated' spot in the hallway, and the other two can go can go in the other rooms. Would it be better to use an open litter tray with kittens?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:14 AM »
One other thing is to put trays in different parts of the house to see where they prefer them - and if htey choose a place you dont have a tray, just move one tray there (I used to have cats that loved to go behind the TV, so had a tray there for a couple of years). Covered trays are good, but you might have to introduce them gradually - Molly wont use hers with the door on, but Zi doesnt mind the door on hers.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 20:19:53 PM »
I have four cats and 3 trays now, only one is used all the time. And a long garden which they use  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 19:11:35 PM »
Iv got 6 cats with 3 trays indoors and 1 in the shed. They also have a dug over patch mixed with sand. They tend to choose to use 1 tray the most and the others much lighter, my lot are a pretty close knit bunch  ;D if you have cats not so close its better to have more.

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 18:45:20 PM »
Will definately be buying three trays then! :) Just hope i can find places to put them all lol.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 17:46:17 PM »
I'm with Horza on that one. Have three trays when they first arrive (the period when most stress-related issues are the greatest risk) and withdraw one later if you feel you are overwhelmed with litter trays and they have settled in OK. It may seem a pest, but not half as much as inappropriate peeing and pooing can be (especially if you don't find it for a few days and the smell is well-integrated into your soft-furnishings ... :evillaugh:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 17:42:52 PM »
the rule is 1 per cat plus 1 but I got a third cat and still have only 3 and its worked out aOK :)

hth
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:56:37 AM by hOrZa »
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Cathryn87

• Adult Cat
One tray or Two?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 17:41:24 PM »
As many of you all know I'm about to become a frist time cat owner of two lovely little siblings in a few weeks time. My question is, will i need to buy one litter tray or two? I was under the impression that they would just need one, but i had read somewhere that each cat needs their own tray. They are of course very bonded :)

Thankyou x x x
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 17:42:09 PM by Cathryn87 »

Link to CatChat