Author Topic: advice on letting the boys out for the first time  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: advice on letting the boys out for the first time
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 22:54:32 PM »
Our little girls won't be going out until after they are spayed; prob in May.  Me and OH are however already biting our nails at the prospect of them going out and we discuss how we will do it quite often. Latest idea is that their mom Dinah will have to stay indoors for 1st few days whilst they are outside coz we don't want to risk them following their ma to wherever it is she disappears to.  She is good at coming home after 3 hours or so for a meal (she eats at same time as kittens) but can't risk kittens doing that as me and OH would be committed if they went off for that long  :Crazy:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 19:46:29 PM »
We always tell people 3 weeks when we home a cat.
My Jasper broke his way out of the catflap within a week and came back with no problem at all but 3 weeks if best to be on the safe side. Let the cats go out when they are ready (Once cat flap is open) and then give them loads of fuss each time they come back. Good luck but I am sure they will be fine. :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 18:58:50 PM »
I guess its whether or not you feel happy to take that risk CJ, as TF was asking shes obviously unsure/has doubts in them so is wise to wait, especially as they are new to the outdoors. Theres 2 things i wont take advice on from vets and thats nutrition and outdoor access, many advise its ok to let kittens out once vax'd but we all know they should be neutered and chipped first just incase.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 21:22:23 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 21:20:47 PM »
you could be on to something there, MrsR - the walls of the pub next door to me have a certain whiff about them :sick:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 21:16:42 PM »
Isn't that what drunk  men do on a Saturday night when they pee up walls or is that just their pathetic excuse?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 21:12:32 PM »
thank goodness us humans don't have to go round marking our new territory :-[
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 21:05:00 PM »
I have always kept my guys in for a month, even Misha who never wanders further than 10 foot from the house.    Its best that they are 100% settled in their new house.   Then I let them out in the garden for a quick 10 mins on and off throughout the first day and go out in the garden with them, I then make it half an hour, then an hour, gradually getting longer and longer till the first brave cat goes over the fence - then I wait almost in tears till they return.

Basically I have found when I first let the cats out they will do a recci of the garden perimiter smelling and leaving their scent everywhere - once I see them do this I can settle a little more as they are territory/home marking.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 20:59:46 PM »
I'm also letting my lot out tomorrow for the first time since we moved house.  It's almost three weeks.  Why wait longer than three weeks?  Most cats have settled by a week, and the vet says two to three weeks.  All the cats I've known that have 'escaped' earlier than intended have come back (although of course I wouldn't recommend it!).  When my dad last moved his little Lizzie made a bolt for it out of the house on the day of the move when they were still moving stuff, and they hadn't even moved far so it seemed likely she'd go back to the old place, but no ... she came back two hours later.  My best friend - both times he's moved his cat has 'escaped' (my friend is disabled so is a little slow negotiating doors and can't chase after his cat).  But Tigger came back both times.  I think the best thing is to wait until the cats have settled in, i.e. found their favourite spots and are confident moving about the house.  I suspect that most of the time they are quite capable of sorting themselves out ... my dad says that I have to trust them, and I think he's right.  I know my lot are ready now :)

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 18:49:07 PM »
thanks guys, i will leave it longer as suggested and definately wil update chip details
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 18:35:52 PM »
I would wait longer than 3 weeks (Have chip details been updated for the new address?)

First time let them go at their own pace, leave the door open and hold your breath lol
I agree with Kirst to keep them in after dark

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 18:25:58 PM »
With Jerry and Gizzy we went out with them the first few times , and called them back in. When they came we made a huge fuss of them and gave them treats.

We have never let them out after dark.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
advice on letting the boys out for the first time
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 17:55:23 PM »
now that we have been in the new house 3 weeks is it time to try and let them out? they have never been outside before because we lived on 2 very busy main roads, we are now in a little cul de sac with loads of feilds close by. but they refuse to wear collars because floss got his jaw stuck in ti and freaked out and i had to cut the thing off him. they have been microchipped.

advice please guys x
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Link to CatChat