Author Topic: Anyone heard of any long-term fostering organisations?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Anyone heard of any long-term fostering organisations?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »
Cinnamon Trust do help without money from an estate, I have dog walked for them, and was an approved fosterer, but the only time I was needed I was completely full. They dont pay for as much towards fostering as other charities though, I think you have to provide all the food and they just provide the bills, but I threw all my stuff out when decluttering over easter.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:31:15 AM »
I'm sure any bank would give her a loan if she owns property. Anyway, I am sure the Cinnamon Trust will be able to advise.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 23:37:47 PM »
She may end up with a lump of money but as you know this doesnt happen untoil after you have moved  :(

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 20:08:48 PM »
That's what I thought too, but noticed they had a link on the catchat rehoming pages and had a quick look a while back. At least they might be able to offer her some suggestions if they can't help her themselves.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 19:50:27 PM »
I was aware of it but always assumed it was a charity that took care of people's pets when they died in exchange for their estate  :shify:

It seems that way to me, never had any luck...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 19:43:42 PM »
Thanks  :) - I just called her back with the number of Cinnamon Trust. I said they are probably the best bet and could probably advise if they can't help themselves.

I was aware of it but always assumed it was a charity that took care of people's pets when they died in exchange for their estate  :shify:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 19:39:21 PM »
Yep me too the Cinnamon Trust is usually for elderly people who go into care or hospital but may be able to help or advise - worth a try.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 19:34:19 PM »
I was going to suggest The Cinnamon Trust as well.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 19:31:49 PM »
How about the Cinnamon Trust? http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/cinnamon_trust.html

They seem to be a national charity who have volunteers all over the country, who foster people's cats when they go into hospital/care/etc.

Gem.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 19:20:02 PM »
Most fosterer's are bogged under with needy cases so would think it rare they commit to a few months housing a cat free of charge that should in all honesty be boarded.
I know if had a space to fill it would be acquired by a sick or orphaned rescue  :shy:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 19:03:14 PM »
It is quite common Mark and there's much out there unfortunately depending on the length of time this is needed for.  Cattery like you say is an option but can be expensive, friends/relatives, cat sitters depending on the length of time again.  If they contact rescues may be lucky if there are any fosterers willing to care for a period of time but sometimes sadly they have to rehome.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Anyone heard of any long-term fostering organisations?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 18:55:22 PM »
This seems to come up on a regular basis. People are going into hospital or something and looking for someone to take care of their cat long term. I have just spent ages on the phone with an old lady, explaining why we can't long-term foster her cat. She said she is selling her house and buying a small place but due to chains etc, she may have to be in rented accomm for quite a while. I suggested a cattery and she said she can't afford it. Obviously I have no idea of her financial status but I would have thought that somebody downsizing would end up with a lump sum?  :shify:

Maybe she was a chancer but I explained that our few fosterers can't be tied up for months with one cat as it isn't fair to all the cats waiting to come in. She asked if it takes long to rehome and I told her it doesn't usually - then she said she may have to rehome if nobody can look after him long term, although she loves him and doesn't want to do that.

Link to CatChat