Author Topic: Covcats - not taking more cats in at present  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Covcats - not taking more cats in at present
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:20:40 AM »
I tried to reason with them that within reason, the older a cat was and still healthy was more likely to remain that way than a kitten with unknown issues lurking. Their argument was they had never been so upset as when their first cat died of cancer and they didn't want to have to go through it all again any time soon. We can try to get our point across but have to accept their wishes in the end.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I did a HC last week and the woman said Sharon wanted her to take an old cat with health issues but she wanted a young healthy one. I didn't know which cat she meant to asked Sharon afterwards - it turned out the cat was 5 and on a light food  :Crazy:
That's such a silly attitude for her to have. What if she adopted a young, healthy cat and it has an accident two weeks later and requires it's back leg to be amputated? I know this is an extreme example, but the point I'm making is that cats, like humans, are going to experience ill health at least once in their life. At least by taking a cat with known health issues, you can prepare a bit better for it.

When my two 11 year olds came to me in May, I was told that neither of them have ever had any health issues. They'll both be 12 in September, so I'm keeping a very close eye on them.

I suppose we should all be grateful that this woman has offered to rehome a cat, let alone one with health issues. :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »
I did a HC last week and the woman said Sharon wanted her to take an old cat with health issues but she wanted a young healthy one. I didn't know which cat she meant to asked Sharon afterwards - it turned out the cat was 5 and on a light food  :Crazy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
special diet!!!!  bearing in mind how fussy my lot are it wouldn't make any diffrence to open another type of food

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »
I was talking to the people that run Rhodes Minnis santuary the other day and they said that cats with even the slightest issue such as special diet haven't got a hope of being rehomed except to the rare kind of person that asks for a cat that needs extra care - he even said "and why would they when there are so many healthy cats to choose from, including pedigrees"  :(

Offline Karen-covcats

• Adult Cat
  • my babies
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:55:57 AM »
Yes i must admit 15 cats (inclucing my own) and 5 kids is abit of a  :scared: thought  :Crazy:

Hopefully though some will be homed before they get to big, either that or I will put myself up for adoption :rofl:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:42:26 AM »
I think rescue get sick of saying this year is worse than last year (which was worse....)

but it does seem to be true.

I'vem ore or less stopped a intake list now, homings are very slow and am looking to the next few months in case the reality of 20 kittens becomes 20 cats for us to look after. We need to have some space to be able to shuffle around if necessary. Karen may be sort-of enjoying the madness of 10 kittens tearing around her kitchen but 10 6-month olds will be a lot harder!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:10:10 AM »
is it worse than normal? 

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:08:56 AM »
We are in a similar boat, really need to do well on homing as there are just so many animals. We have managed to home our longest dog and longest rabbits this week though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 23:16:50 PM »
Yep same here I'm afraid, our kitten fosterer is using every spare space in her house at the moment and all our other fosterers are full, homing is very slow at the moment too. I fear things will take some time to improve as it's now holiday season.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 17:03:10 PM »
I'm afraid I am the same.  Every room and pen is occupied, apart from one small intensive care unit that is on standby for any real emergency.

We have kittens in the spare room, kittens in the kitchen, kittens in the lounge, and adults scattered about the place as well.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »
we're pretty much in the same boat Angie... I hate having to do it but I've put a notice on the site to say that we are happy to add people looking to rehome their unwanted cats to the waiting list but we can't take any more in just now til some leave.  We are crammed in like sardine's like u guys and only thing we'd potentially consider would be emergencies as we know that nobody else round here deals with them   >:(
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Covcats - not taking more cats in at present
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
Well, we've squished them in as far as we can. some of us have squished more than we should.
some have poorly ones to tend with.

Barring any being dumped, I am not accepting ANY cats in for a while until we get some homed.

Link to CatChat