Author Topic: Becoming Co-Ordinator - eeek!  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Becoming Co-Ordinator - eeek!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 13:10:22 PM »
I think the secret to being a good CP coordinator is to not care about people hating your plans. Be tough!  :sneaky: They are only too pleased to pass the buck when it goes pear-shaped, so they should put up or shut up and let someone keen take the reins.  :innocent:

No one seems to want the coordinator role and I know other branches who struggle to fill that post. I have never understood why... or maybe I do and that it's because that's the one role where you almost never get to spend hours cuddling cats.  :evillaugh:

:censored: 'em if they can't adapt to new ideas. So long as it's a change for the better what are they scared of?  :tired:

Go get em girl!  :wow:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 19:19:20 PM »
Thanks for this you guys!

Well the back stabbing and fighting has started!!! I emailed front line staff and committee members to outline my plans and hope to become co-ordinator and most are supportative, but a few of the very core, insular members have been quite nasty about it. They appear to want the branch to continue in the fashion it is now (with cats pling up in catteries, chomping through our money and no new volunteers).

I'm so sick of a core few people who are so resistant to change it's untrue. I may be young (well 27!) but i'm not stupid and I work in the third sector as my paid job so I kind of do know what i'm talking about - ARGH!!!!!!!!

If this is what being a co-ordinator is like then sod it - i'll take myself to another perhaps independant rescue (although I can totally appreciate that in all walks of life i'll have to face this kind of thing!)

Yours,

Peed off of Leeds lol!!!

looks like things have started as they mean to go on.... :rofl: :naughty:

I think branches need a good stir every now and again or they can get quite staid and clicke......

If you have things you want to try then do as a supplement to current practice, and then if it works you can show it does and if it doesn't on to the next idea. Not everything you try will work but then personally I think you have to try new things when the current situation doesn't work.
if you don't already know how it works them make sure you do before you try anything too dramatic.

Just make sure you don't alienate people as they are the branch.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 19:09:01 PM »
Thanks for this you guys!

Well the back stabbing and fighting has started!!! I emailed front line staff and committee members to outline my plans and hope to become co-ordinator and most are supportative, but a few of the very core, insular members have been quite nasty about it. They appear to want the branch to continue in the fashion it is now (with cats pling up in catteries, chomping through our money and no new volunteers).

I'm so sick of a core few people who are so resistant to change it's untrue. I may be young (well 27!) but i'm not stupid and I work in the third sector as my paid job so I kind of do know what i'm talking about - ARGH!!!!!!!!

If this is what being a co-ordinator is like then sod it - i'll take myself to another perhaps independant rescue (although I can totally appreciate that in all walks of life i'll have to face this kind of thing!)

Yours,

Peed off of Leeds lol!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »
Good luck - might be worth pm'ing Ela.

I actually don't do it now, I only did it because no one else would and for 6 years advertised for another Co-ordinator. Fortunately a couple came along and have took over that role. They have written in the latest newsletter that they thought it would be a few hours a week but now realise it is almost a full time job (and there are two of them). I personally think it is a thankless task and if you cannot get someone to do something you have to do it, unless you are thick skinned and know about a bad cat situation and can sleep at night until. With me if I know about a situation it had to be dealt with. I know some CP branches just answer the phones for a few hours a day and perhaps leave messages on their answer phone at other times saying we are full and cannot take any more in just now. Me I feel I should answer the phone 24/7, I found that often out of what may be some peoples hours was the time when cats often needed more help and some would certainly have died or suffered greatly if we had not been there to answer the phone and give advice. Sadly some pet owners have not the brainpower to ring a vet unless they are advised to. Often when Co-ordinator I was up 3 or 4 in the morning looking thing up on the internet, writing Newsletters, and catching up with paperwork etc.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 23:09:34 PM »
First of all congrats and welcome to the club  ;D I sort of fell into the role too as our previous co-ordinator died very suddenly and I was the only one who would take it on and like with you the others were very happy for me to do it Been doing the role about 4 years now (along with a few other roles too) so it can't be that bad as I'm still there  :rofl:. I'd be happy to help with any questions you have just feel free to PM me. I would just offer three words - patience, tact and diplomacy (you will need lots of all three lol) - oh and an aptitude for paperwork  :rofl: Good luck  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »
I can't offer any advice either, just wanted to say congrats on being approached to do this  ;D  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »
Good luck - might be worth pm'ing Ela.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 19:15:28 PM »
Sorry no advice but I would say that if they have approached you then they must think you are capable and worthy of the role, if you would like it but are worried I would try and think remember that and approach it with confidence, well done and good luck if you take it!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 18:45:22 PM »
No advice, I'm afraid -  but I do offer many congratulations, wish you all the very best and send you some of these  :hug: :hug: :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Becoming Co-Ordinator - eeek!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 18:33:46 PM »
Hmm well i've been approached by a couple of members of our branch to become the Co-Ordinator of the Leeds CP branch  :innocent:

I've only been in rescue for 3 years and am definately the least experienced of the team, but they're all s busy with their rescue work that they don't want to take on the role of co-ordinator. I've got such an experienced team that I feel that my role would not change too much, but just keep an eye on what's happening withing the teams (Homing, Neutering and Fundraising being the big three) and liaseing with Head Office...

We've been without a CO for around 18months and Head Office haven't managed to find anyone suitable and it's kind of skating on thin ice us not having a CO

So CP peeps - what makes a good CO and if you're already one - any advice???!! :thanks:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat