Author Topic: Right, introducing Katie to Woody... advice needed!!!!!  (Read 2347 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Right, introducing Katie to Woody... advice needed!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 20:49:54 PM »
When i took Chilli and Dave in i kept them in one room for a week, then opened the door and put the grill door up so they could see my lot and visa versa, there was a lot of sniffing and hissing at first but because they had no actual contact after a few days that stopped, they were then allowed access upstairs when my lot were out so their scent was everywhere, on the end of the 2nd week i gave them complete run of the house and apart from the odd hiss from Chilli and my lady Snuggs they were fine, now they come and go just like my lot no problem at all :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 19:54:09 PM »
I wouldnt use a carrier for intros, imo it will make the caged cat feel vunerable as its trapped in someone elses territory, as you have been swapping scents its time to let them see each other supervised and take it from there.
IF they end up fighting (which isnt something most cats dive into they prefer to wave paws and mouth off!) then dont use your hands to grab at anyone, a pillow or cup of water will split them

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 14:00:41 PM »
I'd only do it for little ones I think - I'm no expert but just in my case letting them into each others space and getting used to the smell without actually having to meet has worked well for me - I knew it was time to introduce them properly when Tilly and Algie started playing footsie under the door!

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 13:43:48 PM »
I mean when I say that Liz lets them loose, it's very much only for short periods to begin with, under supervision and with a very close eye on them lol!

So would you say that the carrier is the best method then Dawn?
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 13:40:03 PM »
sorry I don't know why I thought he was a baby!!

with our adult intros I've kept them in separate rooms and swapped them over and done it gradually, I've never had a problem with cats i've introduced at home, the only two I have who don't really like each other were put in together at the rescue without any introduction - it might be a co-incidence but it has put me off the let them get on with it method although I know people who have used it without any trouble

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 13:34:43 PM »
Oh forgot to say that Woody is 5yo (very approximate due to his malnutrition) and Katie is approx 8yo
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 13:21:23 PM »
even cats that get on have the odd off day - I'm not a let them get on with it person myself and with a kitten would probably use the carrier method

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Right, introducing Katie to Woody... advice needed!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 13:08:12 PM »
Ok so here's a bit of background on both cats and our situation and then ANY suggestions would be really welcome!

Katie came to me 3 years ago as a soiling cat - her previous family had moved house, had kids and gotten 2 kittens in a very short space of time and got very stressed. She's never soiled in the time i've had her. She's always very hissy and spitty at cats, but when we've fosterered kittens before, she's given them to odd swipe, but pretty much calmed down with them...

Woody came from a home where he was living with 7 other cats. He seemed to be the one who was bullied and in the interactions Liz has seen with 2 other cats, they've hissed at him and he's just sat there!

We've been swapping scents for 10 days now, have the Feliway plugged into Katie's room and swapped litter mess aswell. Now it's time for face to face intros which i'm really nervous about! If it doesn't work out then i'll be able to give Woody away when a potential home is found, but we'd really love to keep him as he's stolen a bit of our hearts!

Some books say to put the new cat in a carrier and place them in the resident cats area and leave them to sniff. Liz says that she usually just lets them loose. She also uses a water pistol to break up fights and my other collegue uses a tin with loose change in to create a loud noise.

I'm just really worried as they have a had a spat when Woody got out of his room, but then last night when I was getting ready for bed, I found Woody looking up at the scratching post and Katie was just looking at him, but no fisticuffs!

I mean when they fight could they seriously hurt themselves? How long does it take? When should I think it's best to re-home him?

Sorry for all the questions, but i've always been a 1 cat household!!!!!!

Jen xxx

Link to CatChat