Author Topic: Stray cat...what should I do?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Stray cat...what should I do?
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 04:36:18 AM »
While you're trying to win his trust, ask Cats' Protection for a neutering voucher for a feral cat. If you pm ela, she'll give you contact details - she's great.  :cheer:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:36:50 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hayles

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 20:06:33 PM »
I haven't seen him for a while, but i have begun trying to win his trust. he now will come to me if i go outside and ask him to. he doesn't come running, but he will come over. I have also managed to get him to 'lick' a webbox stick that i gave him, although he didn't eat it in front of me, i think he went back to it afterwards. I think i may well be able to get him into a carrier before long, in which case I will try to take him to the local vets to see if he's chipped. I will probably be able to put a collar on him earlier, but don't want to jeopardise the trust before it is won properly by doing this too soon. He's a lovely fella, and my boyfriend has now begun to take to him, even though he doesn't like cats!!! Introducing him to my cat before he's been cleaned up is definitely not an issue. I also would like to check him out for disease or illness before that too, as i don't want to expose Chester to anything unnecessarily.

I am so grateful for your continued advice, it really is uselful and appreciated. I won't ring any rescue homes just yet, i'll leave it a while longer.  :Luv2:
Remember, Cats used to rule the world...and they haven't forgotten this!!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 16:05:38 PM »
but praise for the staff here and their treatment of strays and said pts was only a last resort unlike some other branches

I will keep my mouth shut, But ??????????????? and it is a very big BUT believe me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 18:06:46 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:04:59 AM »
Please dont ring the RSPCA, i did a car boot the other week and there was a stand for them for the Chesterfield branch ,i got talking to them both and they were volunteers and said they didnt agree with the RSPCA s policy of PTS,they were only doing the fund raising for Chesterfield branch ,who are having new premises built and any money raised by them went straight to the branch and not to head office because it would never reach the branch if they did,they had nothing but praise for the staff here and their treatment of strays and said pts was only a last resort unlike some other branches
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 02:35:50 AM »
Also it may be worth putting a "found" notice, with pic, in local shop windows. Most will let you do this for free. He may be lost.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 02:33:53 AM »
Many of us have had dealings with the RSPCA and know that they pts FIV positive cats. Also, they'll only keep an animal for a limited time before pts, unlike some rescues who keep them untill they find a home and only pts if ill. Check the local CP's policy too. The Birmingham CP pts FIV positive cats, but this is not the policy in all areas. If it was me, I'd borrow or beg a feral cat trap - even though he isn't feral, you can't handle him - from a local vet or rescue (try googling for smaller cat rescues in your area). Trap him, take him to vet to scan for a chip; if he's not chipped, put a collar on him with a note asking if he belongs to anyone and giving your phone number.

Also ask the vet to check if he's neutered, and that he is a he!  :-:

Take him home and while he's still in the trap, allow your cat into the same room, but not too close and see how your cat reacts.

If you have no response from the collar trick, consider homing him yourself by putting his pic and details on CatChat. This way you'll know that he stays alive. On the other hand, he may be so devoted to the area that you could consider whether he can live a happy life as a "garden" cat. Is there shelter for him when it rains? Could you or your boyfriend built him a warm hutch which he can go into out of the rain and cold?

Start by trapping him and taking him to the vet for a check-up. If he/she needs neutering, you may be able to get vouchers covering the full cost; just claim that he's feral: in effect he is. The vouchers are paid to the vet, so you'd need to get this sorted beforehand.  8) You may want to deflea and deworm if you're prepared for the expense; you can always claim this from the owner if he has one.

Good luck. Please don't rush to the phone and ring the RSPCA :oh noo:

Offline Hayles

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 16:52:22 PM »
A large head can indicate an entire cat, they get very jowly  :Luv2: where ever you phone clarify their fiv policy first or he may not get as far as a home  :(
What area are you in as there may be someone on here near you.
Have a look on cat chat for your local rescues www.catchat.org its wise to get on waiting lists straight away as theres so many out there it can take a while to find a place

Entire cat? I haven't noticed any bits missing!!  ;)

He is always dirty and scabby looking, and the neighbours have told me he is a stray, so I've no reason to think he has an owner, but it's a good idea to put the collar on him...but how will i know if he's owned? do you mean i should tag him with my phone number and see if anyone calls me to complain?  It's also a good idea to try and get him somewhere to check for a chip, but I can't get close enough to pick him up yet. He lets me stroke his head, but that's about it. he sits on the other side of the garden wall, head poking up just enough for me to stroke him and although i can tell he REALLY enjoys this (he's obviously an affectionate little fella!) he doesn't trust me enough to get any closer yet. My boyfriend told me last night that he put some of the treats out but that he just sniffed them and turned his back on them so he obviously wasn't hungry or doesn't like them. I'll try with Webbox sticks. Haven't met a cat that didn't go crazy for them yet!!

The little fella is in Hyde in Manchester. We got Chester from the RSPCA and I have a good relationship with the 'cat lady' there, so I thought perhaps I would call her and ask her what she thought. I definitely don't want anyone to put him to sleep. I would rather take him home myself and chance how chester reacts. Surely if I tell the agency (RSPCA or whatever) that they won't put him to sleep?

I really appreciate all of your help on this, you've all been fab thank you  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 20:03:47 PM »
A large head can indicate an entire cat, they get very jowly  :Luv2: where ever you phone clarify their fiv policy first or he may not get as far as a home  :(
What area are you in as there may be someone on here near you.
Have a look on cat chat for your local rescues www.catchat.org its wise to get on waiting lists straight away as theres so many out there it can take a while to find a place

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 16:15:28 PM »
Get him to a vet and check for a microchip.

put a safety cat collar and tag on him (or a bit of newspaper !) to see if he has an owner. Most cats are opportunists when it comes to spare bits of food lying around.

Offline Hayles

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
ah right - then I think I would get my boyfriend to start putting out food and water too - between the stray and the neighbour's cat there should be enough to go round then - though if the neighbour's cat is being fed outside it sounds as if he hasn't got much of a home either :'(

Ah, no, Purdy is well looked after and is usually inside!! Purdy chose his owner, he used to live at my boyfriend's address but his owner moved. She took him with her but Purdy kept coming back. In the end the bloke next door rang her and said Purdy was back again, and that he thought since he had marked his territory on his door post that he would keep him!!! He's a bit of a soft bloke so he leaves food outside so that if he goes out whilst Purdy is out, Purdy doesn't miss out!!!  :evillaugh:

The stray looks to be neutered...I'm not sure that it's a male...but the size of his head made me think that he was. He also has teeth that overhang his lip (it's not good for him but it is VERY cute!!) He looks as though he is smiling. To be honest, I'd love to take him home, clean him up, feed him and give him a warm bed...just don't think my cat would like it too much. I think I'll see how things go and if the little chap looks like he's deteriorating, I'll ring someone.

Thanks folks!!  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 11:09:25 AM »
pts = put to sleep!  :(

I think this guy will need neutering as he sounds like he could do a good bit of breeding in the coming months!  ;)

Good Luck with this guy!  :Luv: :hug:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:09:41 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
ah right - then I think I would get my boyfriend to start putting out food and water too - between the stray and the neighbour's cat there should be enough to go round then - though if the neighbour's cat is being fed outside it sounds as if he hasn't got much of a home either :'(

I'm not a rescue bod, but I would have thought it would be better to wait until the kitten season is over before looking for a place for him, if he is not in any immediate danger

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Hayles

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
I'd suggest talking to the man who is putting out food for this stray - perhaps he is planning to find or give the cat a permanent home at some stage

now the summer is finally here there is no immediate rush, I would have thought, whilst the cat appears fit and healthy

My boyfriend has spoken to him about the cat, he has no plans to either take it in or facilitate a new home for it. He leaves food out not specifically for the stray, but for his own cat, the stray helps himself which the chap doesn't mind but his cat certainly does!! They kick off whenever they see each other, but the resident cat (Purdy) gives in and lets him eat some. I agree that in the summer months, the cat is probably ok...but every time there is a thunder storm or heavy rain my thoughts turn to the little critter!!! Can't help it, I'm a big softie!!!

Offline Hayles

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »
ring cat protection not the rspca, they pts

pts?

I have problems with the Cat's protection league, my experience of them is not good. I hesitate to contact them.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
I'd suggest talking to the man who is putting out food for this stray - perhaps he is planning to find or give the cat a permanent home at some stage

now the summer is finally here there is no immediate rush, I would have thought, whilst the cat appears fit and healthy
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »
ring cat protection not the rspca, they pts

Offline Hayles

• Adult Cat
Stray cat...what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »
Hi all, i wonder if you could help me with a sort of moral dilemma I'm having.

My boyfriend moved house about 4 months ago and we noticed a rather beautiful, if a little disshevelled pussy cat. He is semi long haired and has a look of Norwegian Forest (he has quite a large head!)/ Maine Coon about him. He's a little scruffy and a little thin under the fur, but other than that looks ok. He doesn't have fleas that I can see (I have tried to check his white bits! esp. under his chin, and by his ears), but the neighbours have assured me that he is a stray. The chap next door has a cat and leaves dishes of food and water outside for the stray. He is obviously and ex-pet because of how friendly he is. he's a little timid but will allow me to stroke his head. I always go out to him when I see him because he's so lovely. I've even taken some cat treats over to feed to him to try and gain some trust with him, but i haven't seen him yet to try this out.

I'm wondering whether or not I should ring the RSPCA about him. He is lovely, and I can't help feeling that he deserves to be in a loving home with a warm fire and food readily available. He has lovely dark fur (charcoal coloured) with a lovely white shirt front and white socks and I know that someone would love him. I worry about what will happen in the winter. I equally don't want the neighbours to think that I'm a witch for having someone take him away, but the welfare of the kitty is more of a concern to me. They seem to like him around, but not enough to take him in properly.

I would take him myself, but I'm not sure how chester would react to him as he is so used to being by himself. He may be better with a kitten rather than another adult cat.

What do you all think? I'm very close to ringing the RSPCA, just wondering what you all would do....

Many thanks

H x
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:58:53 AM by Hayles »

Link to CatChat