Author Topic: short term home needed  (Read 9050 times)

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Re: short term home needed
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 17:49:10 PM »
So glad that it has worked out for you and the puss.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:49 AM »
That's good news  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »
Glad to hear this
Please spay your cat

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »
everything been sorted :wow:

the owner of this cat called me this morning at 8  :shocked: as he saw my poster of this lost cat and he would soon picking it up !!!!!! :wow:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:36:26 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 20:57:04 PM »
Jade, we actually really don't have space (I'm sure all your rescue guys know how mad it is at the mo! Got strays coming out of our ears!  :Crazy:) but I did post quite an extensive lists of rescues and my welfare co-ordinator let me know she would have been suggesting that you contact haslemere adoption centre (01428 604297) and explain the urgency of the situation. I can't promise they have space but they do have many pens so will hopefully be able to help. They would need an adult to sign over the cat to them though so it's important that you get your parents to help you with the rehoming of this cat.
As I haven't heard back from you with your number, I just hope you read this and contact them to hopefully get this cat into care. I think he really does need it.
If your friend decided to be a feeder for this cat, it will need feeding everyday while you are away.
What do your parents think about this cat?

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 20:53:51 PM »
With all due respect waiting till you finish your exam means that it may be too late.

Most of us rescue and we get the phone calls to say "Can you take the cat in, as I am moving, going on holiday and so on" We ask "when?" and usually get told "Tomorrow!"

IS there any reason why you cannot spen 5 minutes tomorrow getting back to the welfare co ordinator.

In fact instead of answering this why don't you PM Deb your contact number, problem solved!

By the way Happy Birtday, but you still should not be taking on responsibility for this cat. 

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 20:47:34 PM »
.but as i said at the last post my friends would visit daily and play with it and feed it and spend time with it ..so hopefully it wouldnt be soooo loney ... :innocent:

hmmm.....i would called as soon as i can and i would try to sort out all the things after i finish my exam and before i go .. i mean we are all trying th best for the cat :Luv: ...anyway if there are still alot of problem i still got my friends to look after this cat.. :Luv2:

and by the ways , it is my birthday today so i am 17 now , i am the 17 whos dont text :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 20:47:57 PM by jadedorothy »

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 20:39:34 PM »
Well you are the only 16 year old that I know that does not text then!  ;D

No, you cannot just drop the cat off, this time of the year there are rescues overflowing with the dumped, the neglected and the result of people ignorance and downright cruelty. As I said in my last post, get back to the welfare co oridnator that Deb suggested and see if she can help, if not she can make suggestions.

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 20:36:27 PM »
my friends are a adult which also own two cats meaning he would be able to look after this cat well . if i just drop the cat to resuce centre would they just take it ???

and also not to be rule ,,, but i dont text :tired:...

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 20:31:42 PM »
i see that bit as well ...and i try to deal with all the problem as good as i could .. but as i got my GCSE exams it may be a bit diffcult times to handle...but as i said at the last post my friends would visit daily and play with it and feed it and spend time with it ..so hopefully it wouldnt be soooo loney ... :innocent:

Sorry Jade, with out appearing rude and I can see that you mean well, but GCSE's means that you are only 16!  :shocked:

An adult has to be responsible for this cat, what is your parents stance on this? How old are these friends, do they know what to do if the cat becomes ill, goes missing etc? I really do now think that tis cat needs to go into a rescue. See Debs post and get back onto the welfare co ordinator. I appreciate that exams take up time, but this cats welfare has to take priority and would take literally a 10 minute phone call to sort, probaly the same amount of time you spend texting with friends.

Your parents could drop the little one of at a rescue centre surely?

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 20:19:08 PM »
i see that bit as well ...and i try to deal with all the problem as good as i could .. but as i got my GCSE exams it may be a bit diffcult times to handle...but as i said at the last post my friends would visit daily and play with it and feed it and spend time with it ..so hopefully it wouldnt be soooo loney ... :innocent:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 20:11:15 PM »
She's still trying to see if there's any way of taking the cat but welfare co-ordinator just called to say your phone number didn't come out right on the voicemail. Could you PM it to me please Jade ASAP. She will then call you to let you know if she's sorted anything out and if not will be able to give some advice

Did you see this bit of debs post?

I hope you can get something sorted, its a long time for him to be alone

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 19:55:40 PM »
i called quite a fews rescues centre now but they still got waiting list . however , one of my friends did promise me that if the cats couldnt get into rescue centre he would come by and feed the cats and look after the cat daily or 3-4 times a week....so hopefully everything would be sort soon ... :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 19:52:56 PM »
Any update?

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 22:31:32 PM »
She's still trying to see if there's any way of taking the cat but welfare co-ordinator just called to say your phone number didn't come out right on the voicemail. Could you PM it to be please Jade ASAP. She will then call you to let you know if she's sorted anything out and if not will be able to give some advice.
It may sound as though the rescues are making it difficult for you but we're all so full at the moment and brimming over with cats that it's always difficult with such a short time span to work within.
I hope that you can get it sorted whoever it is via.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 19:24:43 PM »
After speaking to our welfare co-ordinator things are rather hectic at the moment so I do apologise if we don't have space for him. We're inundated with strays from our area, I just didn't realise how much!  I would also try the following places:
Woking and district CP 01483 724703
Sutton and Cheam CP 0208 330 0176
Farnham and Wey Valley CP 01252 334 644
Epsom and Ewell CP 020 8397 7773
Ealing and West London 020 8752 0793
Crawley and Reigate CP 0845 3712 734 Although a long way out, usually very good at taking in urgent cases
Haslemere cats protection adoption centre 01428 604297
National cat adoption centre 08707 708 650
north london adoption centre 020 7272 6048

I know many of these are out of your area although most are actually closer than us. As it's urgent it's probably best to try as many as possible. Good luck  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 18:42:30 PM »
Are there any other members in the area who could do a transport run?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 18:21:16 PM »
Jade, have forwarded your details to the lady who runs www.mymoggy.com. Hopefully she'll be in touch with you soon saying she has a missing cat listed that matches this cats description. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 17:50:10 PM »
i called the cat protection and they reply they would trying to look for the matching for lost and found . i also ask wether they got a long waiting list and they said they got really long waiting list which could last for months and as i will be aways soon i cant afford a long waiting list .

i called the branchs and i leave a message on the section of rehoming a cat . but i am not a good talker so maybe i mess it up a bit ... :shy: anyways , i wouldnt mind to bring the cat to redhill .. (basically anywhere the train could get to)..as long as this is good for this cat... could i ask do you got a waiting list as well ??? becoz i am going aways at 18th i really need this to done as soon as possible ...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 17:33:48 PM »
I've emailed Sue at mymoggy - she said she'll check the database for any cats matching this lad and see if there's anything comes up. She's also asked if you'd mind me giving her your contact details - if you don't, private message them to me and I'll email Sue with them.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 17:24:11 PM »
As you're quite a long way out of our area you need to try guildford and Goldaming Cats Protection on 01483 422529 http://www.guildford.cats.org.uk/index.asp who will hopefully be able to help. If you find that they are really full with a long waiting list and can't help then do contact my branch on the number at the bottom of this thread but you'd probably need to get the cat to one of our vets in Redhill as we are short on transporters at the moment and it's rather a long way away. Our welfare co-ordinator would be able to sort those details out though and give better advice on what our transport situation is at the moment. The vets get vet checked plus treatment and then go to their lovely foster homes and I expect Guildford branch work in a similar way.
Make sure when you call guildford branch you stress the urgency as you are going away quite soon so need the cat in rescue before then. You also need to tell them how long he's been in the garden, how often etc.

Well done for making a kind decision for the cat and hopefully one day you'll be in a situation to offer a home to a furbaby  :hug:

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 16:20:37 PM »
and could i ask , when you come and pick up the cat , would it send stright to care home ? :thanks:

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 16:16:41 PM »
it would be great then ...but would it be possible for you to pick the cat up ..i live in guildford . bellfield area ...

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 16:14:51 PM »
Also we NEVER put a healthy cat down and it would certainly be well looked after.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 16:13:59 PM »
Where abouts in Surrey are you? As I have said right at the start of this thread- if you are close enough we will defiitely be able to put him on our waiting list (which is not that long) and help rehome him or reunite him with his owner if he has been chipped. The details of my branch of CP are below. :) If you are outside of our area I will be able to give you the contact for your local branch Surrey is our patch. Let me know

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 15:53:17 PM »
i am decides to send this cat to the rescues centre or trying to find it owner nows becoz this is the best for the cat ...  :innocent: but i am still quite unsure of what i should do ....

i try to called rspca but their line is always busy .... and i heard that rspca is not very friendly with these animal and would put them down if the animal been stay in there for too long ..so should i contact with cat protection instead of RSPCA ?would cat protection do the same as well ..coz i dont want to end up like sending the cat to hell ....

and what should i really do for now ?just send it cat protection ? or should i take the cat to the vets first ? coz even thought i am quite sure this is a lost cat , my friends say resuces centre wont get involves because it still got collar .. but to be honest the collar is really old and really like kind of broken ....

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »
i would really wish to keep this cat but i couldnt afford to send this cat to a cat boarding

Not an option unfortunately, BC. Definitely try your local Cats Protection for help.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
I agree, I've dealt with alot of ferals and a few strays and if you contact your local Cat Protection they will help you, you should be able to take him to the vets for checking over and neutering through the CP.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »
Please don't get the RSPCA involved as they are not very sympathetic with older cats (they often euthanise) please speak to Cats Protection or an independent rescue  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
Any vet that has a scanner can check the ID chip. Have you considered putting him in a cattery while you are away? When you take him to the vet they can vaccinate him (which will protect him against diseases) and they can also check if he is a neuter (assuming he is a he), and advise you on the best course of action if he is still entire. They can also probably tell you where there is a reliable cattery in your area ...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »
Not to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure a lot of vets will check a stray for an ID chip, someone on here with a bit more knowledge might be able to confirm that.

It's great that you're trying to do your best for this lad, by the way. :)

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 10:14:11 AM »
so it would be alright just to send it to the vet and ask the vets to investigate does it got a owner ? coz some of my friends tell me i got to ask the RSPCA to do that instead of me take the cat to the vets?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »
Jade, he's wonderful! But I agree with Mark - he looks like an unneutered tom and this can cause him to feel the need to roam and fight for territory.

Have you ever taken him to the vets for a check up and explained he isn't yours but you feed him and give him shelter? They could check him for a microchip. Someone might be missing him very much.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
Has the cat been checked by a vet? - he looks like an un-neutered Tom to me  :shify: - I agree it isn't fair to keep a cat if he has to live outside all the time. It is a very hard life for a cat without indoor comforts that they deserve. I really think if you care for this cat (and I know you do  :hug: ) but are unable to offer him a home indoors, it really would be best to ask a rescue to take him in before the weather gets cold. He really deserve a warm bed indoors?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:07:00 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:53:02 AM »
this is the picture of this cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 21:50:23 PM »
Jade, do you have a picture of this cat? You say it's a missing cat - there's a wonderful database: www.mymoggy.com that has a lot of cats lost around the UK. Cats can travel quite a way, so this cat could be from the surrounding area.

If the cat is living in your garden, surely you could leave food with a friend and they could go and put food in it's shelter? I have to say though, if it's friendly and you aren't going to be able to care for it full time then a rescue list is probably his or her best option.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 20:59:24 PM »
I know it's hard when you get attached  :hug:but a domestic cat living in the garden is not good enough and the cat really does deserve a chance at a home life with all the creature comforts it deserves. As I say, we may well be able to help if you call on the details below but I'm afraid CP funds are cats who are going to be rehomed not for short term boarding. You need to make a decision, either you take the cat into your house as your pet and companion and give it everything it needs including food, water, vaccinations, neutering (if not already done) microchipping and toys/ stimulation or you do what is best for the cat and give them a chance to be rehomed to someone who's in a position to give it everything it needs. If money is a factor then maybe you could take the cat in and if on benefits then use the PDSA?
Have you had the cat scanned by a vet to see if it has a microchip? Has he been vet checked to check he is well?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 20:38:24 PM »
you mention shelter in your first post, Jade

what kind of shelter do you have for the cat at the moment?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 20:33:53 PM »
Jade, I understand fully what your are asking for, but look at it from the cats point of view. You want someone to take this cat into thier home and allow it to get used to a home life, then take it back after a while where he/she will then be expected to live outside again. Is that really fair on the cat, hun?

Is there a reason that you cannot take the cat into your own home, it is not ideal for a cat o live outside during the winter, especially if we get another one like last year.

I for one, would not like to take a cat into my home that has been living rough with no vaccinations, sort it out, the poor wee thing gets used to a home life and then I am faced with the prospect of handing him or her back knowing that the cat will have to live back outside again. I am afraid that none of us will do that for the cats sake.

You say that you want to devlop love and care for the cat and you think that you could look after the cat well, but she has been around for a year and still kept outside. Take up Debs offer, rescue spaces are at a premium this time of the year and if you umm and ahh too long, then you will find that there are no spaces for your cat. Think of the cat, please.

Offline jadedorothy

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 21:27:49 PM »
but i would really want to develop care and love for this cat and i am sure i will try my best to give the cats it need.if i couldnt handle it then i would send the cat off .  can i just place it in ur places for a short times, as it rehoming is basically finding a carer who can look after the cat well , and i am positive that i could be a good carer ... :Luv2:

Link to CatChat