Author Topic: Rehoming advice from rescue peeps please  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Rehoming advice from rescue peeps please
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
Reminds me of Tasmin a cat I named after the Tasmanian Devil, a 'they who must be obeyed type’. I adored her. She was eventually homed after being in care for five years. Eventually one of our members went into town and handed out her details to numerous people and that week she had an article written about her in the paper, The result was over 20 offers of a home, out of those twenty  just was  suitable, and she went on to spend the rest of her life with a very caring owner.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:47:38 AM »
I think she is afraid of change BM, it was actually quite funny to see her scowling at us - they had only brought food!! Overall she is a relatively content little girl, as she only has to contend with Sam, and she has always tolerated him relatively well, I can stroke her while he is in my arms and there is no nastiness, and they do both have their own defined spots where the other doesn't go, althoguh there is a couple they share. The people last weekend might have given her a chance anyway, as there was a chancw she would settle, but I said no after she scratched them both, because it wasn't just one of her moods, I was stroking her then one of them took over and she still went and they weren't overly experienced owners. She will live here as long as it takes, luckily for her I love her to bits and can read her very well so rarely get scratched these days, although hopefully not 8 years, as she will be 18.5 then and prob would be overlooked due to age!!
I remember seeing Vanity on your site T, she was the blue/grey, wasn't she? I liked her - can't believe how long she has been in her new home. Kizzy does sound like she needs a very similar home, and hopefully that home will come - the only enquiry I have had for her ignored the 'no kids' part of her write up and contacted me even though she had 2 kids. As Kizzy spends most of her time in the front room, she does see the majority of visitors, maybe she is just having an off week and I am worrying for nothing, I just want her to be happy, she deserves it with her background.
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:43:09 AM »
Desley I am sure that one of the rescuers on Purrs had a cat like this...........thinking maybe it was Teresa and it was Buster! Maybe wrong.

Yes Gill you are right Buster refused to leave us, however Vanity was just like Kizzy and she was with us for 8 years before we found a wonderful lady to take her on; we actually posted Vanity as being a challenge who needed a very experienced cat person,she also needed a home with only 1 adult and no other animals and lots of patience,funny enough I received pics of Vanity 2 weeks ago,she has been in her new home for 2 years now,still has issues but her human has had to learn to read her like a book.
Think perhaps let people view her but be very selective,some cats really need that more experienced person who is prepared to accept a challenge; meanwhile it will help to let her see other visitors at a safe distance. Good Luck

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 00:25:06 AM »
She sounds very much like she has accepted the current situation as normal....She know's you have other cats and obviously know's where they stay within the house.... :)

She is probably afraid of change and if a person/couple were to come and view her they should be able to over look they way she is acting etc!

If she were'nt up for rehoming what would be the other option Des?  :shify: I mean if she is not up for rehoming!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 00:49:52 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 20:34:30 PM »
Desley I am sure that one of the rescuers on Purrs had a cat like this...........thinking maybe it was Teresa and it was Buster! Maybe wrong.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Rehoming advice from rescue peeps please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 20:27:29 PM »
I might be reading too much into this, but I Am concerned as to whether Kizzy actually wants to be rehomed!! i will dig out her inital thread later, but she was a neglect case before coming here, and had major issues because of it, she has come on sooo well though and while still temperamental, she is so much better than she was and has been up for rehoming for months now - she has been here since September. She needs to be an only cat, as she dislikes other cats, and will beat them up if she gets chance - my neighbours cat sneaked in this morning to be chased out by her (and I thought the Feliway was calming her down)!! I had people viewing cats last week, and while they wanted a younger cat, I got them to agree to look at her - she was not interested, refused to come down the stairs for ages, and when she did eventually let them near her, she scratched both of them (and did draw blood on one of them) - she was an angel with me stroking her though (she actually rarely goes for me these days, I Can generally read her well enough to fuss her as much as she can tolerate). NEedless to say, they went for one of the younger cats. Today someone came to donate some food, and she sat on the stairs and scowled at us!! Refused to acknowledge us, or come to me for a fuss. I gave her a quick fuss as we walked past her to get upstairs, and by the time we came out she was in the kitchen out of the way - as soon as they went, she went back to her normal self, and wanting fusses. She really is making me think that she is doing this deliberately, last year when people came to look at cats, she was all over them, this year she is being really off with people, I dont think the person who came on Tues saw her either (And again, she wasn't looking for a cat). I wonder if it is worth persevering with persuading people to look at her if she is going to be so off with them, even though I am sure this isn't really the best home for her, or is it just cos teh right person hasn't come along to see her yet, and she will be different with one person? She is only 10, so could have years left in her, and i dont want her to stay somewhere she will be unhappy, but I also dont want to rehome her if she isn't going to be happy with that either. I have had foster cats longer than 8 months that have been rehomed with no issues, but not had a cat with her issues before.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat