Author Topic: Extremely dinky kitten  (Read 2965 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: Extremely dinky kitten
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 18:45:21 PM »
No advice Dawn but bless the little fella  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 18:40:42 PM »
I've seen a few posts like this. Stunted kittens a quarter the size they should be, testicles taking forever to come down, very friendly and loving but no obvious signs of reasons for the stunted growth. We had one ourselves last year that was adopted by our welfare officer. He was a hand rear rejected at birth be a feral mother. The vet suspected it may be a pituatory problem but we didn't bother with the tests as the welfare officer was keeping him come what may.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 15:59:33 PM »
No he's not got his baby teeth and no sign of his "bits".  I'd be worried letting a cat out this size or even slightly bigger in case anyone thinks they are still a kitten and takes them in, if he is ok he will be rehomed as an indoor one.  Dinky is quite independant when he wants something but he is more of a cuddlebum than any others I've had in and I do worry about him as he doesn't play as such, he's only the last week or so starting killing our hands  :Luv:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 15:26:26 PM »
sounds just like my little Mouse.  he is almost 8 months old and is the size of a 12/16 week old kitten.  he went to the vets last week as i had the same sort of worries  (HERE).  the pronouced him fit as a fiddle and agreed that malnutrition in his early days/weeks was probably the cause of his stunted growth. out of interest does your kitten still have his baby teeth?

i have a couple of quiet cats, they move their mouths but no meow comes. not Mouse though, he shouts  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 15:28:50 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »
our bluto had cat flu as a baby Mark and in his prime he weighed 7kg!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »
Just weighed him and he's approximately 800 grammes  :Crazy:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
I think it will stunt them to some extent but this little one seems to be the same size forever, hopefully other than his size he is healthy so I'll have to wait and see  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
Willow had cat flu as a kitten and has had runny eyes ever since. I wonder if that can cause stunted growth?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
He'll be about 6 months old now and even if he was 8 weeks when I got him, he was small for his age then.  He came from a local rescue that had had 5 in, all full of cat flu and they were feral.....this was why I got lumbered  :tired:  I've had a few enquiries about him but like you I can't rehome him as he is, just in case, I'll have another chat to the vets about him and see what they say  :hug:

I remember your other 1/2 pint ginger kitty Dawn  :Luv2:

Little Minnie Mark, funny enough I was looking at piccies of her the other day  :Luv:  :Luv:  This little monkey is smaller than her though, I'll weigh him after and see what he weighs.....I think the feral kittens that were born a couple of weeks ago will be heavier  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
I remember your other 1/2 pint ginger kitty Dawn  :Luv2:

Willow has never gone over 2.5kg so maybe he is just a little runt - hopefully a healthy one  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »
Hey Dawn... our own cat Yoda had the same problem when he first started out and didn't begin to grow until he was around 5/6 mths of age.  he came in with flu and toxic poisoning.... he is a happy healthy cat now.... but we just couldn't home him due to size and not knowing what would happen so he ended up staying permanently.

There could be something underlying or he could be a Yoda case???   Either way I hope he has a long happy life.  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
I think there is definitely something underlying with him but I don't want to be putting him through bloods etc as he's so small.  Another thing he has problems with is meowing, he did silent meows for god knows how long and now he does make a noise but not a meow  :-:  I'll try and get some piccies of him later  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
My auntie owned a cat when I was younger. She was gorgeous but didn't grow - transpired she was allergic to her own fur and it was causing her some severe health issues. I think it's rare that this happens though.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Extremely dinky kitten
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »
I've got a little tabby in at the moment, got him in just before xmas and he was around 8 weeks old and he's still the same size  :Crazy:  I'm not sure whether he's just tiny or something is wrong with him, he's eating fine etc and he's been in the vets but as yet nothing is obviously wrong apart from his size.  Any ideas  :shy:  the only thing I can think of is a liver shunt but he's not showing any of the obvious signs.  He doesn't play as such though so is not normal in that respect but is extremely loving and seems contented.

Link to CatChat