Author Topic: "got any kittens" calls coming THICK and fast  (Read 5963 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: "got any kittens" calls coming THICK and fast
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »
lol....  could very well be!  ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 22:58:38 PM »

I had a corker of a call the other day... someone called in to ask " do you ever get kittens in black"... to which I replied (couldn't help myself)... "well of course, kittens come in lots of colours"  I got back... " Oh WOW... really!"  (and no it was genuine not sarcastic)

I know this person! This is the same person that works for Transco. He knocked on my door this morning at stupid o'clock to tell me he was about the dig up the road and I might be disturbed!  :tired:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »
 :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »
we never close! :)

I had a corker of a call the other day... someone called in to ask " do you ever get kittens in black"... to which I replied (couldn't help myself)... "well of course, kittens come in lots of colours"  I got back... " Oh WOW... really!"  (and no it was genuine not sarcastic)

the mind boggles.... :Crazy:   

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »
  ;D

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
for good homes 365X24X7!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »
are all the rescues open over Easter?

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »
"do you know when you're likey to get any in or do they come at random"

:Crazy:

honest - 3 minutes ago

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 17:23:19 PM »
but have had some which make you cringe, especially when they say they want a kitten, as small as possible  :Crazy:

Yes, these are the homes that "Forget" kittens grow up and by next year will end up being picked up by a rescue (if it is lucky) as the poor mite has been replaced by another kitten.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 14:48:08 PM »
I've been doing our phone for the last few days whilst the lady who does it normally has been away and I've had quite a few asking for kittens. We genuinely don't have any at the moment so I do ring people back and explain and ask them to keep checking back. If they are good homes they will wait and call us back, I did have a couple of lovely people who were quite happy to wait until we get some so that bodes well but have had some which make you cringe, especially when they say they want a kitten, as small as possible  :Crazy:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »
thats one thing I absolutely hate... when they get the kids to phone cos they either can't be bothered and its to shut the kids up , or they think that rescue's will take pity on a child calling and say "why yes, of course"  :tired:

We've been taking at least 15 - 20 kittens calls a day.... and our applications folder is thick with people awaiting kittens so as soon as any arrive they are already allocated for approved homes.   I do have to admit to being naughty at times though... with a call with screaming kids in the background or a def no, I will sometimes say.... "yes we have kittens...... pause....... but they are already allocated for homes... sorry!   :evillaugh:

I think this is a fair thing to do- there is no point taking time to do a HV if you know the home's not suitable. I have been getting lots of kitten calls and I can honestly say we don't have any so it's easy for me to pass them on to a bigger branch who I know does. If we do have kittens this year, I will certainly be very strict with who they go to.

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 12:00:35 PM »
Isn't it strange that there don't see to be any kittens around?!! :naughty:
Coventry Cat Group

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
thats one thing I absolutely hate... when they get the kids to phone cos they either can't be bothered and its to shut the kids up , or they think that rescue's will take pity on a child calling and say "why yes, of course"  :tired:

We've been taking at least 15 - 20 kittens calls a day.... and our applications folder is thick with people awaiting kittens so as soon as any arrive they are already allocated for approved homes.   I do have to admit to being naughty at times though... with a call with screaming kids in the background or a def no, I will sometimes say.... "yes we have kittens...... pause....... but they are already allocated for homes... sorry!   :evillaugh:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 17:21:34 PM »
I've just taken one and, if I'm not much mistaken, the girl on the phone was ten to twelve years old :shocked:  Afraid I have no kittens available at the present time. :shify:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 16:36:57 PM »
I had thankfully, only one of those calls today.  The woman and her daughter were 'phoning round for the cat to be loved (mauled) by a five year old child who didn't know anything about it (I suppose she meant what they were up to).  The caller lived on a busy road (Walsgrave Angie).  They have cats themselves, and have never had a problem with their cats.  Except when they moved in they found two cats dead from RTA's in their garden!

I didn't even bother to put them on the waiting list somehow!  I offered a 6 month old one at first, until I heard the full story, but that was far too old!    Grrrr!

After one of my little kittens was really poorly yesterday, and I had to rush him to the vets, I get nervous at the delicacy of the young kittens, but to allow a 5 year old her own cat - no way!

Blimey! everything says no, well done you for dealing with this xx

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 16:29:41 PM »
Quote -I get nervous at the delicacy of the young kittens, but to allow a 5 year old her own cat - no way! Unquote

I firmly believe animals and children should be brought up together, but to try and obtain  a cat for a 5 year old, who didn't know anything about it, surely isn't right?  If they had asked for a cat for the family as a whole, and that a 5 year old lived there, I have no problem with, as long as I can see how the child behaves here with the foster cats and kittens, and how she behaves with her own animals on the home visit. 

I don't know if they thought we would more likely be able to produce a kitten for her as it was for a child and not an adult or what.  I think all schools should allow different animal organisations in to schools to talk to children about animals.  My 14 year old daughter's friends didn't know what she meant when she had told them we were micro chipping two of ours!

Coventry Cat Group

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 13:32:01 PM »
I was totally shocked to see how many kittens and adult cats are for sale on websites some people are asking for up to £100 for kittens,to think people are making out of their pets really annoys me.

Just reading the post below i have 3 cats 2 are kittens and my 2yr old is absolutely brilliant with them and they are with her i think if you bring your children up to respect your pets and to treat them right you can't go wrong obviously if they are allowed to man handle them that's a different matter

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 20:22:16 PM »
I had thankfully, only one of those calls today.  The woman and her daughter were 'phoning round for the cat to be loved (mauled) by a five year old child who didn't know anything about it (I suppose she meant what they were up to).  The caller lived on a busy road (Walsgrave Angie).  They have cats themselves, and have never had a problem with their cats.  Except when they moved in they found two cats dead from RTA's in their garden!

I didn't even bother to put them on the waiting list somehow!  I offered a 6 month old one at first, until I heard the full story, but that was far too old!    Grrrr!

After one of my little kittens was really poorly yesterday, and I had to rush him to the vets, I get nervous at the delicacy of the young kittens, but to allow a 5 year old her own cat - no way!
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »
We had a really busy weekend for calls, only one person wanted an adult rather than a kitten though - Suzy would have been perfect, but they were unsure with her being 13, and am still waiting for them to ring back!! We do finally have someone interested in teh 7mo though. At least I havent had anyone asking when we are likely to have kittens in, they just say bye when you say no kittens.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 14:59:48 PM »
You mean you don't have a stock room with them all on shelves, according to colour and age, just waiting for the right phone call :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

:naughty: xxx

I remember when I lost Beau  - I called CP and rescues and no butter called me back - those babes lots out on a loving home  :( - but I wouldnt have my boys if thay had of called back.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 14:55:48 PM »
You mean you don't have a stock room with them all on shelves, according to colour and age, just waiting for the right phone call :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:50:49 PM »
Gosh, Angie - you mean you DON'T order them in? ;) :evillaugh: It must get really tedious!

I was sure there was a factory that churns them out willy nilly!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
Gosh, Angie - you mean you DON'T order them in? ;) :evillaugh: It must get really tedious!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
"got any kittens" calls coming THICK and fast
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »
I'm sorry - must be tired.

pick up the phone to

"is that the cp errr coventry.... errr cat group" - good start to the conversation - don't remember who we are

yes, this is Coventry cat group (already know what next thing will be)

"got any kittens"

sighs, no hello I'm thicko from daftland.......... I've just lostetc

No

And then of course the ultimately annoying question

"when will you be having some in"

Well, you know theres a good mail order service I know of , of course I can always find myself a tom cat and a queen in season (not as hard as it should be - just go to most parts of the city)........ and then if you'd like to book one for 9 to 10 weeks  >:(

Think I need to lie down or take some valium...
For those of us who answer calls each day , you will konw how irritating these sort of conversations get.........

there must be a 'speaking kitten' lady service provided by BT, that comes with an optional extra of a tiny kid or two screaming down the line!!

Link to CatChat