Author Topic: Advice on Burmese cats please  (Read 5104 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Advice on Burmese cats please
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 07:48:15 AM »
Well, had no reply to the ad and it has disappeared now so hopefully a home was found for the cat, don't want to think of the alternative. :'(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 17:45:54 PM »
Burmese are wonderful cats! They are quite dog-like in their devotion to you. They are also vertical cats in that if there is anything to climb, they will climb it. They have a cheeky disposition and are willing to play until they drop dead from old age, and can be quite kittenish from time to time even at 10. Their fur is so thick and soft and wonderful - a gorgeous cat - grab it while you can!!! :wow:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 14:31:40 PM »
I’ve got Lirael who’s a Burmese, she’s vocal, sweets, caring and ultimately a little crazy but fully of character (enough for 10 other cats).

She always meets us at the door, she complains if I don’t allow her in the bathroom when I’m in there and tries to bribe me with her stuffed toys when I don’t pay attention to her.

She also misjudges jumping. And chews on wood if she doesn’t get attention and is also known for stealing things (again for attention).

(I wouldn't trade her for anything and would like more burmese but the husband won't allow it)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 14:28:43 PM »
The thing is they are like Siamese in that they are intelligent (actually like most of the orientals).  Because of the intelligence they can come across as quiet "full on" but if you are prepared for the high jinx, chatting and "character" you won't be dissapointed  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 14:18:35 PM »
Burmese are the confident Siamese cousins. But they can be abit of a bully type of cat.. However, very much like Siamese, noisy and in your face puss cats.. My Bruv has a Burmese Oscar that he got for Burmese rescue 2 or so years ago now. Not indoor cats at all, love the outside and lovel company. and if your not there to give it they will find Mrs Jones 3 doors down the road to find it....!  I wish you were not so far away i know of a few people that could possible take on a Burmese puss cat...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 14:13:16 PM »
My vet Rachel has a burmese and they sound like a shorthaired birman lol

She says they are known as furry breezeblocks cos there are small but its all muscle and they are very strong.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 13:51:28 PM »
HI Hun

My two Arnie and Bow were Burmese. They are very vocal. They like to be top cat and Burmese tend to be the leader in the neighbourhood.  They are very loving and dedicated to humans, they do like attention from their slave. lol.
I never knew until years later that my Bow who was so loving and gental was actually terrorising the other cats in the area. He def was boss over my Ben (moggie) and his nephew Arnie.
They are sooo lovely , great personalites but also like to take over lol.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 13:39:20 PM »
The only burmese I have ever known belonged to a friend of my mums when I was younger, she also had 2 siamese but we rarely saw them as they were always hiding. We would go round to her house and little Gemma would appear as if from no-where and attach herself to my lap. She was a scrap of a thing, you could barely feel her on your lap, but she made up for her size with a very loud miow. She was extremely sociable and an excellent hunter.

Slightly limited experience I know, but I thought it may help!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 13:36:50 PM »
Burmese are lovely ..... Burmese are intensely social animals and assume that they are fully accepted in all aspects of human family life ...The Burmese wants to help! ... Burmese do not like to feel neglected ... To entertain Burmese provide plenty of simply but amusing toys ... Burmese owners talk of the mad half-hour ... The need of Burmese cats for human company is immensely flattering and good for the ego ... These qualities of temperament and character are allied to a sophisticated beauty.'

http://www.burmesecatclub.com/life.htm
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 13:05:00 PM »
from the little reading I have done, they are lively, playfull and a bit naughty

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Advice on Burmese cats please
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
I have just replied to a  :censored: Ad where it is threatened that a 10 year old Burmese is due to be put to sleep today because no new home can be found after elderly owner was taken into a care home.

Can anyone give me info on Burmses as I have never come across one before, just so I am prepared if this one does need to come into care.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Link to CatChat