Author Topic: What would you do? possible stray dodging traffic...  (Read 8997 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: What would you do? possible stray dodging traffic...
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 14:46:27 PM »
fingers crossed for you hun

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 14:45:35 PM »
ALL is firmly crossed for this little Solo babe  :hug: :hug: Stay safe little one till your Guardian Auntie comes to collect you in a beautiful warm comy carrier that will be full of lovely food and snuggly blankets xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 14:27:49 PM »
I've got fingers and toes crossed. Thank you for helping ths little one.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 14:20:52 PM »
Right, we're going to come back at around 7ish when the traffic might have calmed a bit so if it does dart it will be safer. We're stocked up with carriers and food and 3 of us to look.

Our vets will be closed, but i'll take it home for the night if needs be.

Please, please, please keep your fingers crossed that we can get this little one  :-[
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 13:53:56 PM »
I've got boxes at work, but if it's distressed I wouldn't want it to break out and dart across the road (or get out when i'm in a taxi!)

I'm almost in tears at work because no-one in the branch even seems to want to help  :( I think they take it for granted having cars and stuff - I have nothing here. I might have to leave it for today and bring my own carrier in tomorrow morning and hope it's still there
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 13:48:03 PM »
If you can catch him you can keep him in a cardboard box with holes in temporarily until you can get him into a carrier.  I know it sounds cruel but it's safer than leaving him kon the roadside.

Good luck xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 13:19:22 PM »
I don't suppose any one is in the Leeds area??!!!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 13:00:36 PM »
I agree, the little one won't be here much longer if you leave it and if he has an owner they obviously don't care enough to be responsible.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:47:29 PM »
Just called a volunteer as I don't have transport or a carrier, but i've decided to get it off the road and then deal from there.

We're going to hopefully get it to the vets. My b/f has said that we can take him in for a couple of days if needs be and I have a friend who may be able to take him on a longer term basis.

I can't concentrate at work and i'm wondering if I should go and try and buy a cat carrier and get him, but wothout transport it's not really feasible.

Hmm... what to do now

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »
Definately save him...............I got one into a rescue in London, was wearing a collar but was being fed next door until they went on holiday and was always hanging around for food and then would go and sit in the middle of the road.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:42:45 PM »
Hi, I see from your website that you are in the Leeds area. Perhaps someone on this site in your area could provide temporary foster care. I think the first priority is to get him off the road. Then if he is chipped you could have a word with his owners and explain that you rescued him from nearly getting run over . If he's not chipped I, personally, would consider him a stray and try to rehome him.Regards.

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
Hun, do what you have too, to get this little baby in a safe place.  :shocked:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »
i agree.  like you say, if something happens to it you'd never forgive yourself.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »
Go get the babe to safety  :hug: poor little mite must be petrified. :'(

A Meow Massages your heart.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
What would you do? possible stray dodging traffic...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
Ok, so I work on an extremely busy road (I mean none stop traffic) and have seen this little black and white cat for a few weeks now. I only saw it from across the road and thought that it had a collar on and looked around a year old.

Unfortunately there was not much I could do at that point as if it's owned I can't stop people owning cats near busy roads and it at least had a little bit of garden acting as a buffer to the road.

Anyway, this morning it was on my side of the road (so it's obviously crossed the road at some point). This side of road only has pavement and it was deperately trying to dodge the traffic to get to the other side of the road. There was nothing I could do as I had to get to work, but on closer inspection it's around 6-9 months (I guess) and has no collar on  :(

What do I do?! I can't take it home myself as I just have no room and the branch has absoluetly so space to take it. My welfare officer has said that she would be happy for me to *ahem* "aquire" the cat if we could find a temp. foster space...  ;)

Or should I go through the official means of trying to find the owner and talking sense into them?

I'm trying a couple of friends to see if they could take him in on a temp basis, but it's doubtful...

... I just don't want to pass it knocked dead one day and think that I could have done something to help. I know I can;t stop people living near busy roads and usually have to turn a blind eye if I pass one in the car etc. but I see this little one every day.... :'(

Link to CatChat