Author Topic: Meet Mr No Name - he's Valentino  (Read 42359 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Meet Mr No Name - he's Valentino
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2009, 09:29:36 AM »
... probably too far away anyway...

Always ways round that! ;) He's a sneaky lad isn't he?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2009, 20:43:48 PM »
Cheers Jasmine - can't say the Felimazole has helped, he has hardly had any, will speak to the vet next Mon (just in case I find a good way of getting them in him between now and then!!) - he did spit out last nights, i found it hidden when I hoovered!! Not even attempted to get tonight's down him yet, he is chilling in the cat room at the moment, I popped him in there to hoover the bathroom and he has taken over the windowsill, bless him. We are still having tummy issues, and he is much happier eating food in gravy, even though I know it wasnt the best thing for him, but quality has to be better than quantity.

Shame you are so far away from us Jasmine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2009, 19:15:47 PM »
 :cheer: 100g :cheer:
The felimazole, food and your TLC must be working!

Tino, bless him, so reminds me of Reg (RIP).

( live in Warwickshire by the way... probably can't take another cat... probably too far away anyway... although I'm good at crushing medication you shouldn't! :rofl:)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »
Thanks everyone - I didn't think of it like that Gill, I was just thinking that he is still 300g lighter than when he first came here.

Trust me, you wouldnt like the tablet Antepsin form, it is just as big as some of my tablets, not sure how they expect you to get them into a cat!! They are very crumbly too, so wouldnt like to give them to a cat that wouldn't tolerate it mixed in with something.

i 'think' he got last nights tablet, I hid it in some meat, and he wouldnt eat it, but he did overnight - hasn't eaten as much wet food last night, but he did eat a lot the night before and in the morning - he is very slightly more solid though, just so much of it!! I do wish that he would eat sensitivity food.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
It sounds like progress anyway, 100g doesn't sound like much but as he's so skinny it means he's gained almost 5% of his total bodyweight!  Great to hear he is seeking out lap and fuss.

Interesting about the Antepsin - our vet told us it wasn't available in tablet form...we had the liquid version for Dinah, which she wouldn't touch on food so we had to syringe it (it made her drool if it didn't go straight down) and would rather have had tablets.

His system must still be settling down, let's hope he does well on the Felimazole.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »
Awww, hope his tummy settles down again soon, its good news that he seems happier though, definitely sounds like an improvement  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »
Our vet still bemoans the fact that he can't give cats like Paddy the old style injections which were withdrawn for use on cats as in his opinion, it was a better option for those that wouldn't take oral medication and weren't suitable candidates either for thyroid removal or for radiotherapy treatment.

So glad he's actively seeking affection though - he clearly appreciates your care for him Desley.  :)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »
We had similar problems getting our cats to take them too, glad Tino seems better than he was though and has gained a little weight hope his tum settles down now.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2009, 08:24:45 AM »
He is, and even willingly jumping on my knee, even though his legs still arne't great. I dont think I could give up on thyroid meds for him, with how high his values are, but if we continue to struggle, I will have to chat with the vet about it.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »
He certainly sounds a happier cat Desley.

I sympathise about trying to give him the tablets.  We had to give up Paddy's Felimazole in the end because so many were being wasted (discarded carefully in various hidey holes) our vet said it was doing little or no good, and we were all getting stressed beyond belief in the process. 

Glad to hear he's eating better, and hope his tum settles soon.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2009, 08:01:20 AM »
Sorry, things have been hectic since I got back!! He has put on 100g since his dental, which isn't great, but at least it is in the right direction. We are on 1 Felimazole a day at present, which I am really struggling to get in him, and vet has prescribed Antepsin for his nausea - he eats that in Primula, but now he has bad diarrhea, not sure if it is the Primula, or the gourmet food I am getting him to eat, as that is in gravy (or both) - he did eat 3 little tins last night, plus some sliced meat and biscuits, and half a tin plus a full pouch this morning, and he has had his Antepsin (thought that if I just do it once a day, it shouldnt be too much Primula, and it has helped his appetite cos he obviously doesn't feel as sick - once the tabs run out, I might ask for it in liquid form). One worrying thing the vet said was that as the nausea/sickness is worse since his dental, there is a chance the anaesthetic could have made his liver worse - luckily it can regenerate, so not going to ask for further tests until he has had a decent amount of time on the Felimazole, in case that can help reduce his liver values - although if the dental tipped his liver over, the Felimazole might not be a good option!! So the next month is still quite touch and go, whether we can stablise his thyroid or not, and whether his liver (or indeed kidneys) have got worse with the dental. He is a lot happier in himself though, and I am debating taking him out of isolation.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2009, 14:07:50 PM »
I was wondering how the vet visit went too, hope all went well xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »
How's he doing now Desley?  And did you have a good weekend away?  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2009, 21:54:04 PM »
Thanks everyone - I am off early in the morning for a well deserved weekend away, so he is in the care of my neighbours, I have left a variety of pouches and told them to give him as much as he likes, he has eaten a bit better today, although has also brought small amounts up. We have a vet visit for Mon afternoon, as he hasn't been wormed yet, and there is no way I can get a tablet into him!! I will also be getting him weighed, and we can start again on a lower dose of Felimazole, if that doesn't work, I will be picking up alternative meds on Tues. I will also be making a trip to PAH for some more cat milk for him, as I think we are down to the last bottle.

Where do you live Jasmine??
Please spay your cat

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2009, 14:18:34 PM »
i am very puzzled by the crushing element though, the packaging tells you not too, and my vet said it was harmful to both him and me to crush them (I assume harmful to me cos of the teratogen aspect), she mentioned something about the coating and release of the tablet.

I think there's been a debate on this before and it was Millys Mum(?) who pointed out the teratogen aspect first to me - my understanding is that the risk only applies to a foetus, so unless you are pregnant or trying for a baby, it's not worth worrying about. 

As far as a cat is concerned, I know it's not the ideal way to dose, but Martha was impossible to pill and surgery was out of the question (19 years old, in terrible condition - incl. heart and not expected to live beyond a few weeks) - almost 4 years on, she's put on a kg in weight and still with us (bless), so it can be done.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works for Tino - I think I might have a bit of a soft spot for him. :shy: :)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »
WEll, at least his ab's are over (even if he didnt eat his last one!!), so he can now have food with no nasty meds in, so should be willing to eat more.

I hope that he will.  He deserves to be able to enjoy some good food  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »
Hope Tino picks up now he has 1 less med to take 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2009, 08:06:17 AM »
WEll, at least his ab's are over (even if he didnt eat his last one!!), so he can now have food with no nasty meds in, so should be willing to eat more. I do wonder if he is feeling a tad sick at times, as he acts hungry and does gulp a bit, but then wont eat straight away - however he eats pretty much everythign that is down while I am at work/asleep. He did eat a bit more than normal yesterday, so hopefully that is a good sign - we have a vet visit for Mon anyway, as I want him weighing. I have no idea what to tell my neighbours to feed him, as I havent found much he will consistently eat, although now I am not hiding meds in his food that may change.

Thanks Baggy, think the vet was of the opinion that we have to at least try it, as there is a chance his numbers will come down, we didn't do any further testing on his liver due to waiting for the thyroid results. TBH, I dont think I would push for too much testing on his liver, or meds due to his age, and how difficult he is to medicate. I still think he will only be here for months, unless we can find a thyroid med that I can get into him and works, then I might change my mind, but his age and condition are against him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2009, 21:00:51 PM »
One other thing she mentioned was that it shouldnt be used in cats with liver issues, and he does have high ALT and ALK-P, but both those could be raised due to the hyper-t, so seems a bit of an odd contradiction really, as the liver can regnerate, but you would need the thyroid to come down first.
I should have expected some reaction though, this is one of my cats!!
:hug:
Am pretty sure that they mean it souldn't be used in cats with liver disease as a separate condition in itself, as opposed to being caused by hyper-t, but then you don't know if it's caused by the hyper-t or not yet!
At least there are still options to be tried/other meds etc.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »
keep at it Desley you will get there in the end and it wouldn't be rescue if you didn't sort one problem and another arose!

fingers crossed he starts to eat properly like a good boy and take his meds....... well we can hope! ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
Typical cat, preferring the type of meat that's not the best for him! Hope he eats the food while you're at work Desley.  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
Thanks everyone, your thoughts mean a lot.  Vets advice is to give him a few days break to let his stomach settle down, and then put him down to one a day (they are the 2.5mg, not the 5mg), the packaging says it can cause vomiting, but you dont expect it within half an hour. One other thing she mentioned was that it shouldnt be used in cats with liver issues, and he does have high ALT and ALK-P, but both those could be raised due to the hyper-t, so seems a bit of an odd contradiction really, as the liver can regnerate, but you would need the thyroid to come down first. If he is still being sick on one a day (which i think he will, as he was sick after his first tablet), then we will change his medication. I hope that works, as I dont know what we will do otherwise. I have just put his last antibiotic into his food, which he has ignored, hopefully he will eat that while I am at work (have given him something else as well). he seems to prefer food in gravy, which I am sure does nothing for his stomach, but he needs the food.

i am very puzzled by the crushing element though, the packaging tells you not too, and my vet said it was harmful to both him and me to crush them (I assume harmful to me cos of the teratogen aspect), she mentioned something about the coating and release of the tablet.

I should have expected some reaction though, this is one of my cats!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2009, 00:50:12 AM »
Martha was just 2.25kg & hyperthyroid when I rescued her in Aug 2005 - I've been crushing her Felimazole and adding it to her food ever since.  If Tino is happy to take his abs this way, I would do the same with his thyroid medication.
 :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2009, 19:57:45 PM »
Carol, I can imagine it must knock them for 6, it must be as if their system is suddenly trying to go into reverse. 
Felimazole is available in 2.5mg tablets - our vet started the Proot off on two of these a day as he was so skinny, I can't really remember him having any side effects.

Keeping everything crossed here.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2009, 18:16:10 PM »
I will be ringing the vets - but he has been on ab's since last Wed, and the sickness has only started with teh Felimazole, but surely it can't get into his system that quickly?

My money would be on the felimazole.  The vet and the literature may tell you it doesn't make them sick or can't react that quickly but you need only visit the Yahoo Feline-Hyper-T site to find out that it can and does.  Is he on one twice a day?  If so, its worth starting with a lower dose.  Vets in the US now recommend that but UK vets still stick to 5mg twice a day and it seems to knock some cats for six, especially skinny ones with very high T4 like Valentino.  My Tiny was only 2.8 kg and he was very ill when started on the 'normal' dose but when we stopped it he was fine.  Tried again with the same result so we stopped it again then built it up slowly and  he was OK.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2009, 17:58:11 PM »
It could be the felimazole, vidalta may suit him better and thats once a day too so would be easier for you

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2009, 14:20:22 PM »
Oh poor Tino. :( Have you tried him on R/C sensitivity pouches just to help his tummy in case different food he is eating is too rich for him?
Desley i wanted to say that when i adopted Jim he weight was 3.2 kg i did not realize how tin he was because of his long fur only when i picked him up i realized he was just skin and bones, as i said before, he had thyroid problems and problem with his liver , he was on 2 felimazole a day and because he had no teeth i couldnt hide his tablets in treats  but the primula did work with him, first thing i noticed was he was really WOBBLY on his feet and i called the vet straight away and was told its because of his condition being H Thyroid and of course his age being 17, but he spent most of his time in his bed as i think Tino would . Tinos conditions is very similar to Jim and i think if you find a way to give him his tablets he should be fine , i have to say that Jim never put any weight on during his 4 months with me eventhough he was eating all the time, and that gave him upset tummy some days ,  and in the end i had to let him go because of cancer .
I think is wise to wait till he is off ab's and then see if his tummy settles, also i was told by my vet that you can crush the Felimazole.
Finger crossed he feels better soon , he deserves a happy life with some one who cares for him. :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
the abs don't always affect straight away but it could be thyroid meds or thyroid itself better to check with vet, always a problem when they are on more than 1 medication, hope your vet can help.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:27:02 AM by janeyk »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2009, 09:03:32 AM »
Although it says you can't, you can crush Felimazole too, my friend has a cat who can't be pilled and she crushes and syringes the liquid to make sure he gets his meds.

Hope its just the abs making his tummy poorly, but I do recall when Max started his thyroid meds his appetite was down for a few days  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »
I will be ringing the vets - but he has been on ab's since last Wed, and the sickness has only started with teh Felimazole, but surely it can't get into his system that quickly? Just to clarify, the meds I mentioned are the Felimazole, i can crush the ab's into his food, and we only have two tablets left, so from tomorrow we are down to just getting two a day into him.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2009, 08:02:13 AM »
Might be an idea just to check with the Vet about ab's.  Poor little soul.  (And sympathies for your finegr too Desley)  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »
Poor thing it sounds like it could be the abs and probably why he's avoiding them if he feels poorly, many cats I've had have reacted badly to them I'd contact the vet and ask for a different type obviously being HT won't be helping either it could be a mix of the 2, is he on thyroid treatment yet?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:02:39 AM by janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
things aren't looking good with Tino, his tum is really unsettled (both sickness and diarrhea) and I dont know if it is the ab's or the thyroid meds - his levels were 180ish and the top end of the scale is 60, no wonder he is so thin. His eating is off again, and I dont know if it is picky eating, or he isn't feeling well!! He also wont take meds, I tried wrapping last nights in ham, he kept spitting it out, so resorted to down the hatch, but he is a nightmare to get meds into that way. This morning he wouldnt' even touch the ham, so had to resort to down the hatch again, and I now have a sore finger and an upset cat!! Going to try Primula tonight, but I am away this weekend, so having to rely on my neighbours this weekend, and if we can't find a way to do it nicely, the thought of doing this twice a day for at least a month isn't good - he does have weak back legs too, everytime I let him go from wrapping him (else his legs wrap round my hand to stop me!!), he is very wobbly.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2009, 18:56:30 PM »
He hasn't eaten as much this weekend, I dont know if it is cos i have been trying new food, so just given him a small dose of Metacam - I know he missed last nights a/b, and he seems a bit picky with his tea that has tonights in it. His tum is unsettled again, but he is on ab's, and also hyper-t can cause it, so will wait till he is off ab's and Felimazole is in his system. He does have an odd bald patch on his neck, and the skin looks a bit funny - if I didn't know better, I would say it was a Frontline reaction. I was fussing him earlier, and I could feel a lump on his throat, which I assume is the thyroid gland, and his neck area does look funny, it is like you can see his pulse, it really shows how thin he is.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2009, 19:22:54 PM »
Thanks everyone - I am not too bothered by a diagnosis of hyper-t, it is better than CRF which was my concern on Tues. It shows we really did catch him just in time though, I honestly dont think he would be alive today otherwise. AT the mometn i am crushing his ab's into wet food, but will try ham.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2009, 19:10:11 PM »
Glad to read he is eating v.well  ;D
If you can get some weight back on him then the op would possibly make him alot easier to home  ;D

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2009, 18:42:46 PM »
On the plus side I suppose hyper-t is the lesser of many evils that he could be suffering from. He must be so relieved that he can eat, am sure he'll start to pile on the pounds as soon as his tablets kick in.  Do you think he'll take his meds in some plastic cheese, or some ham?

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2009, 18:12:17 PM »
It does all make sense and I hope things settle down when he gets on some treatment Desley

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2009, 18:03:10 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates, hectic day or so!! Only had a brief message about his bloods, as my vet wasn't in yesterday pm, so I have to speak to her on Mon, but he does have hyperthyroidism, which makes last weekend even worse, and explains the severe weight loss despite the fact I got something into him every day. The tablets I have in stock are the wrong strength though, so will have to discuss whether I can split these or if we need to buy some more. With his eating the past couple of days, I am not too surprised, he might get through those 200 pouches by himself at this rate, I bet he could eat half a box a day. The rescue lady didn't sound too positive about his rehoming chances though!! Am slightly worried about that, as I don't know if Kizzy will tolerate another long term cat.

Thanks for all the wishes, now all we have to do is get meds into him (he wont let me open his mouth), and hope that he can start to put on some much needed weight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2009, 16:43:04 PM »
How's he doing, Des?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Link to CatChat