Author Topic: Meet Mr No Name - he's Valentino  (Read 42344 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Meet Mr No Name - he's Valentino
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2009, 19:55:05 PM »
Not had a great day today, he has been a bit quiet, and despite the door being open for hours, he was sat on the sofa (unusual for him), he has been a bit off his food and had a dodgy tum too. We had a nice few hours sat on the sofa though, him at the side of me and Suzy on my knee, but when I brought him down after tea for a friend to look at him, he is limping on his back leg, hopefully he has just pulled it jumping, I am going to book him in for a couple of days time in case it is just that and it settles down (he can't have Metacam cos of his liver, and he is at the vets a week on Tues for repeat bloods anyway, I have also hidden some Seraquin in his tea, and will hide some Noractive in his breakfast). It isn't stopping him using the stairs or jumping on and off the sofa fortunately. She pointed out his breathing is fast,and I know his heart is fast, so not sure what his tests are going to show, as he has been drinking more this week - we are only doing basic bloods, as he hasn't had enough thyroid med, no point testing it, it is still going to be high. So fingers crossed his limp is nothing, because in himself he does seem fine, he is fussing for food, pottering about etc.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2009, 08:27:40 AM »
Thanks everyone, he is still eating well, and even ate the SEB in his food yesterday, which I wasn't convinced about!! His fur is going yucky again, and his heartrace looks ever so fast, so as he still has an upset tum without meds, I dropped a Felimazole into his food yesterday (Which it appears he ate, unless he spat it on the floor and I haven't found it yet!!) - I am not going to stress if he eats round some of them, and if I can get two a week into him, I will be very pleased!! Him and Sam are a nuisance when I open the fridge at the moment, they know there is chicken in there, and come running everytime I go in it!! I did take some pics of him last night, I must get round to uploading them on here. He's going to have to make do with teh food in the house till Sat though, am refusing to go to the supermarket again!! I did get him some Sheba on  Sat though, and he still has some of the pate Asda food left.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2009, 20:13:39 PM »
You can guarantee if you have one pouch/tray/tin of something left, that's the one they'll eat!!

Dinah was horribly picky too, having three plates out with different choices on sounds familiar...she loved chicken livers though.  Not the best thing for cats, but if you can bear the smell they cook in about 2 mins in the microwave.

Good that he is sounding more settled now, and learning to love the sofa.  Frustrating that his tum won't settle though.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2009, 19:41:09 PM »
my food of last resort is dressed crab - usually accompanied with a slice of finger as it's snatched out of my hand

I do like hearing how Tino is doing - you are so patient with him, and he is leading you such a dance over his food

And again you make me chuckle, Trigger  :rofl:  I concur with your second statement too.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2009, 14:19:47 PM »
my food of last resort is dressed crab - usually accompanied with a slice of finger as it's snatched out of my hand

I do like hearing how Tino is doing - you are so patient with him, and he is leading you such a dance over his food
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2009, 08:34:47 AM »
Good to hear he's more relaxed about his access to outside, and thank goodness he's still eating, albeit pickily.  I find that food Paddy will eat one day he'll turn his nose up at the next, so I try and rotate over a period of days/weeks, trying anything that catches my eye when I'm out and about.  Have discovered that Paddy's rather fond of Shippams sandwich paste recently.  That was a complete surprise.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »
Dont seem to be doing too bad today, we had a bad day yesterday, he wouldnt touch wet food, he only ate chicken until about 9, when he deigned to have some biscuits (he did have 2 bowls of wet food, a bowl of biscuits and a saucer of cat milk in front of him!!), but luckily he ate some Sheba and cat biscuits overnight, and tucked into his Asda food (which typically I decided not to buy yesterday, as he had turned his nose up at the Felix foil!!). i managed to get some SEB powder from a health food shop, so mixed a bit of that in each of his bowls to try and help his tum, he still isn't completely solid, so maybe it isn't tablet related. He isn't staying out for as long now, I think he realises he has a couple of hours where the door is open and he can come and go as he pleases, and I think he enjoys the sofa quite a lot too, he barely moved off it yesterday, and when he did, it was to sleep in his bed in the kitchen
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »
How's he doing today Desley? 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »
WEll, he has eaten round the last two, and off  NOAH compendium, it only stays in their system for 48 hours, so will be pretty much back to non-treated now. His tum is still off, and back to bloody mucus, so maybe it isn't tablet related - both hyper-t and liver issues can cause diarrhea though. He was really picky with his food overnight, he barely ate, turned his nose up at Applaws this morning, so gave him some Sheba that was donated, which did the trick, he has eaten all that, so have let him go out to play, he hasn't been out since Thurs, so hoping that will help him, he was rather unsettled last night, wouldnt' sit with me.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2009, 09:28:37 AM »
He's a roller coaster this one, isn't he?  :hug: Hoping the vet has something positive to say.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2009, 20:02:28 PM »
He has started with bloody mucus again - managed longer with Vidalta than Felimazole though, so need to speak to the vet and decide if we continue and see if it passes, or whether we call it quits with the meds - he is on the lowest possible dose of Vidalta, which is normally only for mild hyper-t. He is up to be weighed etc in a few weeks time, so might be worth continuing till then.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2009, 09:10:23 AM »
Fingers crossed the Vidalta will work for him  :Luv2:

And tree climbing, wow, he certainly doesn't believe he's a sick cat  :)  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2009, 07:47:13 AM »
Well, i picked up some Vidalta last night, and he didnt seem to notice it in his bowl of food - my only problem is he seems very picky, he will only eat one food for so long before going off it - he currently has 3 bowls of wet food to see what he feels like today - and he went for hte one he shunned two days ago!! I have bloods booked for a couple of weeks time to see what is going on with his liver and kidneys, but there hasn't been any sick for a couple of days, and his tum was normal overnight (although wasn't yesterday day). He had about an hour out again last night, although had to be retrieved, and he is a bit short tempered, so I have a nice scratched ear and a couple of bruises where he tried to bite me, so he isn't going out again till weekend. HE wont settle on my knee for that long, althoguh he doesnt settle anywhere for that long, it is really his only hyper sign.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2009, 21:26:15 PM »
Tino climbing a tree - bless him - is a reminder that cats don't know they're ill, and shouldn't be doing such things - a lesson for us there, perhaps
You're right, but I don't think I could ever climb a tree though :evillaugh:
Their curiosity often seems to keep them going and make them feel better.  Great that he's at least feeling up to a bit of exploring...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2009, 07:11:21 AM »
Tino climbing a tree - bless him - is a reminder that cats don't know they're ill, and shouldn't be doing such things - a lesson for us there, perhaps

I couldn't agree more, Trigger.   

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2009, 20:41:31 PM »
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2009, 20:13:36 PM »
Thanks everyone, the thoughts mean a lot - never had so many poorly cats in such quick succession, can't wait for a nice young foster - only a few months ago I was glad to see the back of the last one, but have had a lot of heartache since then!! Fingers crossed he can tolerate the alternative thyroid med, but as the vet said, there are probably other things going on with him, there is a chance his liver is a lot worse,or it could be his kidneys, as he is sick even without the Felimazole. He has had a good day today though, he has been allowed out twice, for about half an hour each time, the first time was funny though, as I kept following him as I was concerned about him not finding his way back, and Sam and Kizzy kept following me, so it was a bit like the Pied Piper!! he managed to climb my neighbours tree though, which amazed me - his legs went funny last night and he knocked his water flying!! He thinks he should be allowed out again though, had to have a battle of wills. He is very restless tonight though, and he hasn't eaten as much as I gave him some chicken and pumpkin Applaws, and he obviously doens't like that - and the food I have been hiding his meds in has barely been touched, cos i tried him on something new!
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2009, 13:47:33 PM »
I don't know how you do it, time after time

Could'nt agree more..... :bow: :bow: :bow:

Positive vibes for Tino~~~~~ :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
Hugs to you and Tino, Desley  :hug:  I hope a change of medication will see him right.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
I don't know how you do it, time after time

here's hoping Tino has  lots of quality life, even if the quantity is limited :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »
Oh Desley, another one that's showing negative signs. :( You are a true star, do you know that? :hug: Sending fuss to Tino.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2009, 10:55:20 AM »
Managed to get two tablets in a row into him, but then he started passing bloody mucus, so stopped the tabs again, and only gave him a light tea of chicken breast, and left him with just a few biscuits overnight. He is pretty much back to normal this morning, so will have to ask the vet for the other thyroid meds tomorrow - that is twice he has had 2 in a row and he has had some kind of reaction, so I dont think he can tolerate Felimazole. Got permission to let him out though, he isn't going to be leaving here, and unless he can respond to the new thyroid meds, he will only have months, so he might as well have some pleasure, and he doesn't like being cooped up.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2009, 18:46:06 PM »
although we lost out with the PAH food - it was supposed to be one lot in jelly and one in gravy, and both were pate style

Iv also been had by this, completely misleading packaging  >:(

Have you tried a pill popper?

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
I was telling my nurse friend last night that it is sugar coated so it slowly releases into their system, and she said that if I crushed it, it would either give him a large hit in one dose, which could affect his liver, or reduce the effect.

If you have run out of options Desley, I would think it worth the risk - I not only crushed Martha's felimazole, but also Reg's.
I also did the same as Pav - didn't leave food down and 'starved' them for a few hours, then gave the minutest portion of food with the crushed tablet in and made sure they ate that up before serving the main meal!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »
Desley, what i meant was dont put all his food down in one go, first leave a tiny amount with the tablet in and if he is hungry he will go for it and then put the rest down.  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
Not too sure that would work Pav, I hid it in his leftover tea other night, and he ate everything and must have spat it out - last week I gave him a plate of chicken, one piece had a tab hidden and he ate every piece but that one!! Last night it was in a ball of cheese, he ate round it. I was telling my nurse friend last night that it is sugar coated so it slowly releases into their system, and she said that if I crushed it, it would either give him a large hit in one dose, which could affect his liver, or reduce the effect. Will chase the vet today.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2009, 03:42:31 AM »
Sending positive vibes Des so Valentino can take his meds~~~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2009, 23:13:09 PM »
Oh Desley, its really hard when they dont take med :( Can i suggest some thing, thats how i get Phoebes tablets to her. I dont leave any food for her at nights so by early morning she is really hungry , the first thing i put down for her has her tablet and its a tiny bit , either a teaspoon of cat food or little bit of fresh meat, once she has that then i put the rest down :sneaky: Most days it works because she is hungry i hate knowing there is no food during the night if she feels hungry but she needs her medication. Just try this for Tino, because of his condition he must feel hungry most of the times so it might work for him.  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2009, 22:27:56 PM »
Still can't get any meds into this cat, and am waiting for the vet to find out where we go from here. he played a bit with Da Bird last night, till I got too close to his face and caught him, he got scared of it then, bless him. He is also losing a lot of fur this week. He isn't eating too bad, he loves teh Purely Salmon biscuits, although we lost out with the PAH food - it was supposed to be one lot in jelly and one in gravy, and both were pate style - normally he likes that (well, he loves ASda Tiger trays and Sheba) but barely touched the PAH stuff, so apart from biscuits he has'nt had too much today
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
Ahh, yep it probably is. Great that you managed to get a "distraction cuddle!"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
 :)  I'm sorry Desley, I shouldn't smile, because I know how worrying it is,  but it's just so familiar.   :hug:

Glad you got him to settle down on your knee to distract him from wanting to go out.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2009, 08:14:58 AM »
Little butter has twigged with the beef spread, so didn't get a tablet yesterday. He was also sick, so he got some Antepsin in cheese and not convinced he got the full dose of that either. Going to have to speak to the vet later as he hasn't had a full week of them yet.
he has been here a month JS, still a tad soon to be going out I think. i carried him downstairs last night and popped him straight on my knee, he stayed there for quite a while, then had a wander and some chicken, so getting better at staying in.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
How long have you had him, Desley? Could you give him supervised out time? Glad he's eating well. :)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »
He sounds to be doing really well Desley  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2009, 07:39:03 AM »
He ate really well yesterday, and it took 3 attempts with beef spread, but i eventually got his tablet into him. He's completely off his cat milk though, but eating more dry. He has had some time out of isolation, but he keeps crying at the front door to go out.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2009, 07:03:10 AM »
Glad to see his appetite's picking up nicely.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2009, 09:29:28 AM »
i am, although the medication is still an issue, and after talking to a friend with a thyroid prob, if we can't get meds into him and stabilise him, he could suffer - there were a couple of things she said were symptoms and it was like 'yep, he has that' - and I hadn't realised they were thyroid related - things like his sweaty chest fur, it is a sign of how hot his core temperature is, and why he shuns the bed near the radiator for the one in front of the bath, and he is happier sleeping on the floor or a puppy pad. Glad I didn't give him teh heat pad!! I bought him some nice food like Sheba and Gourmet yesterday (reluctant with the high meat content as he is already prone to an iffy tum. He ate loads yesterday, and he has tucked in well today.
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
Desley, I'm really chuffed to hear that the wee man is doing well.   well done :hug:    long may it continue!   :)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
Of course C - they have to contribute!! :-)

His poo's are pretty much back to normal, I have been reducing his food in gravy, as he does enjoy it, he seems to do OK as long as he gets something else as well, but I do think the HiLife pate is a bit rich for him. He has been sick overnight and not eaten as much wet, he is tucking into an Asda foil tray at the moment and I have mixed some Antepsin in some cat milk, to see if he can tolerate that, as it does seem to have been the cheese causing the upset tum.

He has had some time out of the cat room, but isn't keen on any of the other cats, think he has growled at everyone now!! Should be an interesting integration. I hadn't realised just how tall a cat he is, until you see him near the others, and hopefully the walking around will help his back legs, as he does still have some weakness - did give him a Seraquin, but he ignored it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »
he is chilling in the cat room at the moment, I popped him in there to hoover the bathroom

You get your fosters to do housework?   :rofl:

Glad the little fella is relaxing and beginning to enjoy his food.

Link to CatChat