Author Topic: To adopt or not....????  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: To adopt or not....????
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 14:33:05 PM »
Fingers crossed he gets a home, whoever it ends up being with.
Please spay your cat

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 23:37:22 PM »
In reponse to your original question... no, definitely NOT - I think I should adopt him instead!!
:duel:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 20:49:51 PM »
hope she feels better now she is getting the tablets  :) I can understand about the rehoming and Katie, hope things turn out well for her xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 18:21:06 PM »
Well it turns out that Joseph has thyroid problems and that's what was causing his issues! He's now on 2 tablets a day and seems a lot better.

I've decided to see if he goes through adoption for a little while before I decide to take him on. He actually hasn't been up for adoption too long and I think his temperament will 'sell' him! I think that it is just going to upset Katie too much and when I took her on I knew she'd been a soiling cat so it just wouldn't be fair... having said that, if he remains with us, things might change!!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 09:31:15 AM »
Poor Joseph, he looks so lovely  :Luv2: bless him best of luck xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »
Hey all!

To be honest Joseph still has quite a few health issues that have to be resolved before even I could take him home. He was still vomiting bile and passing blood yesterday (we feel it's change of diet), he has suspected thyroid problems and obviously his face needs clearing up (including his nose!) We actually haven't given his eye any treatment and that's clearing up every day and he's much cleaner than he was and we feel that that's probably the case with his nise which seems clearer every day. He's no longer sneezing, coughing or drooling and has had a dental to sort out his horrendous teeth and mouth.  :(

He wasn't washing when he came in and he still has patches of yellow fur but that will get better in time.

We're hoping that will a lot of TLC and vet care we can get him stable enough to be adopted (be me??!!!)  :innocent:

Poor old thing as his temperament is just SO laid back and friendly and he even encourages Poppy and Leo (our semi ferals) in the next pen and gives them confidence - a truely remarkable cat.

I just can't help thinking that he wouldn't have survived this cold snap  :(
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 19:18:21 PM »
His nose does look a bit suspicious, dont forget black and whites can suffer with SCC.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 19:15:34 PM »
 :Luv:
Is there something up with his nose or is it just dirt?  :-[

Dark Moon

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 13:17:22 PM »
He is truly handsome. I hope it works out for you both. He obviously has seen some of the worse sides of life. He deserves to see some of the best.

Obviously happy at the moment! A guy can just never have fur that is too clean. Especially those b&w furs. But his white is looking so pristinely white. I expect his blacks are perfectly satiny black too.

Give him hugs and encouragement from Canada. We're pulling for you all.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 13:08:43 PM »
Well this was me with Joseph this morning....

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 11:24:58 AM »
Well done on giving it a go! I agree, you could always use the bathroom or even the kitchen as a 'safe room' for the newcomer to start with. That way you can do gradual introductions and will have more chance of success. Just make sure your existing cat gets lots of extra attention so she knows you ahven't replaced her.

Offline TheHappyHippy

• Adult Cat
  • Boo the forumming cat.
  • Slave to: Boo, Zed, Ing, Bunni, Eve, Pheonix and Booty
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »
We do indeed get everywhere!  :Luv:

I look forward to reading how things go. Really hope it is a seamless transition. xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
I would give it a go on a trial basis, but you could use the bathroom or something as his safe room to do things gradually. good luck
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 22:39:12 PM »
Thanks you guy! (oh and hello HH!!!!!!!!!!) We Lushies get everywhere don't we!

I'm having a good long think about things but think that it would be good to try. Katie has been with me 3 years now and she was always described as shaky with change and yet when my b/f friend comes round with his little boy of 5, she was sniffing and let him stroke her, and i've also taken her up to my mum and dad's for holidays when they said she wouldn't cope, she was fine!!!

I'll keep you updated!

PS: i've heard of the baby gate thing before and so might try this xxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 20:00:42 PM »
It wont hurt to try but i think you have to keep katie at the forefront of your mind the whole time, if she isnt 100% then it wouldnt be fair. He is a gorgeous boy, i can easily see his appeal  :Luv:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 19:51:54 PM »
Hes a really handsome boy and i can quite understand why you,ve fallen for him :Luv:                                          When i took in my too oldies, Kali my oriental totally ignored George after the first inspection but little Eddie she loathed him on sight for some reason and took every opportunity to sneak up on him and swipe him or hiss in his face, :sneaky: Eddie is so laid back he just moved out of her way and never retaliated, and while they are not busom buddies she tolerates him and now just walks past him as if he doesnt exsist.                                           I  would give it a try and see how they get on, otherwise you will never know :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 18:29:11 PM »
Awww what a gorgeous little man :Luv:  :Luv2: Our tale was the other way around, My cat Boy is a very laid back cat and dont mind other cats , he has been with me for 9 years now he is about 13, it was 20 months ago when i saw Phoebe on a rescue sight and when i read her story being described as aggresive, and being 10 years old i thought she is going to be there for a very very long time, also being black/white :( I remember that time most of the cats on their sight were either black or b&w and from what i haveseen they are harder to home. So i went there and told them i want to adopt her but i was told NO, she doesnt like other cats :-: I managed to convince them to let me foster her, i brought her home and left her in my bedroom, like you i have a one bedroom flat but i think its important that you introduce them gradually, i got a child gate and fixed it in front of the bedroom door because my other cat Boy doesnt like it if a door is closed so this way they could see each other but not too close. I have to say it was then that i realized how much she hated other cats but i still thought is better in the bedroom than the cabin in rescue anyhow after few months i started leaving the gate open and let Boy in but Phoebe didnt leave the bedroom unless she wanted to go out to the garden but even doing that she would hiss at Boy but he didnt mind at one point i thought of geting some one to make her a ladder so she leaves from bedroom with out seeing Boy but after 6 months one day i was downstairs and Boy was in landing and next thing i saw was Phoebe down here checking everything :) I have to say that Phoebe in her privious homes were not treated well and i still cant get close to her everything is on her terms, but i think its because she is scared so i dont expect her to become Boys best friend but she has learned to live with him and some times if Boy forget and get too close she reminds him but they never fight , i still believe giving her moret time things will get better.But you wont know untill you try. no wonder you want to adopt Joseph, he looks really sweet.I hope everything goes well , just give it time and patient. :hug:

Dark Moon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 18:12:07 PM »
I have had cats who love other cats and cats who are not so keen. I have introduced anyway and have been successful. But I also have a larger place, so they can get away from one another when necessary. Only way to find out is to try. Be vigilant, so no one gets hurt. And patient. Even with the numbers I have and as 'used' they are to new comers, we have days of hissing and all. Just to let the newcomer realize that s/he is coming in as low cat on the totem pole, I assume. I ignore everything for at least 5 days. Short of outright physical violence (obviously).

My situation is totally different as I do have rather a herd. But I remember way, way back in the long, long ago.... we had Blue Boy. He was an only cat, and had always been so. I wanted one of my own (technically, Blue Boy was my Mum's cat) but was assured that Blue Boy (14 at the time) would NEVER accept another cat. I went ahead and got one anyway - and he loved her. Totally besotted, he was.

And so Muff came to me. Ultimately I hauled her off to University with me. But decided she was 'lonely' (I lived in a 1 room 'apartment' at the time. Not 1 bedroom - just 1 room) - a decision I arrived at based on the way she had taken up gutting her squeak toys (bored, bored, bored...). So I got Duty. A gorgeous little b&w kitten. Whom Muff hated. So much so that I actually took Duts back (she was a rescue kitten), crying all the way. But, thankfully, they advised me to try again so she and turned around and went back home. And she and Muff became inseparable. Hannibal came 1 month later (and so the 'snowball effect' began  which has continued to this day....)

Try it. EXPECT all manner of hissing and spitting and annoyance and sulking. So long as it doesn't break out into immediate physical violence, you'll likely be o.k. (and so will they).

Offline TheHappyHippy

• Adult Cat
  • Boo the forumming cat.
  • Slave to: Boo, Zed, Ing, Bunni, Eve, Pheonix and Booty
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 17:57:57 PM »
I've just realised who you are!

Hello.  :)

We are *crosses fingers and toes* hopefully about to have an addition to our family. I don't have words of wisdom except I hope you do decide to have a trial and hope everything goes well.

HH
xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
To adopt or not....????
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 16:42:37 PM »
OK, so we all know there are certain cats that come into care which we find hard to let go of and i'm not sure I can with Joseph! He's a 10 year old stray who was so battered and bruised when he came into care. He's got steadily better and better and is just such a placid and laid back cat who just wants to sleep and eat!

I'd really like to take him on (my welfare officer says we can do it on a trial basis), but my other cat Katie is a nightmare with other cats. She does very much like being the only cat, but I was hoping that becuase Joey is so placid and not bothered by other cats, she would settle in time. We have a 1 bed flat and therefore couldn't start him out in a seperate room.

Any tales of cats who hated other cats, becoming friends??? And any techniques if I take him on (of course i'd be doing the Feliway, changing bedding etc)

Link to CatChat