Author Topic: Home check today  (Read 8970 times)

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
Re: Home check today
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 23:21:41 PM »
Good on you Julie have not heard from you for a while, we have picked up a Persian   it had been out a long time it was not neutered and its coat was in such a mess it had to be shaved all over,not chipped and no collar so never went on my site, but its such a friendly cat it loves anyone who goes in the pen and just wants to be loved, I think we might have a home for him will post photo soon. :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 07:49:08 AM »
Glad you've got a positive outcome Julie and well done for your efforts  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 21:26:47 PM »
:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know how you feel. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I answered the phone.  :Crazy:

But get this.... the Inspector said because they had not neglected their previous dog and did have vet records to show the dog had recieved timely and proper care, she saw no reason why they couldn't be allowed another one. The mind boggles!  :tired: This couple won't be getting a homecheck clearance from me to adopt a flea, though, no matter what the Inspector says.  :sneaky:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 21:03:02 PM »
I've just caught up with this and find the whole thing terrible.  Poor puss, glad she has been sorted out now.  Good on you Julie for not giving up. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 19:53:01 PM »
Wow !

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 19:07:35 PM »
 :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 21:29:50 PM »
Great news! Well done!

:hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 20:35:17 PM »
Guess what...! The RSPCA did something..!  :wow:

The Inspector called me tonight to say they have visited and agreed the cat was in a bad way. They advised the owners that puss needs to get treatment. Again the owners said they felt puss was too old but the Inspector said to them puss can't remain in that state so something had to be done.

The took puss to the vet and she was shaved. Thankfully she didn't need sedation and the Inspector has been back and seen that puss is now happy. The Inspector said the couple did seem to genuinely not have thought anything could have been done so had not even tried.  >:(

So at least puss is comfortable now and this couple have learned a lesson.  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 16:48:32 PM »
I've already reported them to the RSPCA, Mark. They did sweet naff all about my report!  :shy:

The rescue lady is as furious as me. We are powerless to make him see sense and puss deserves to have a vet exam. Their vet is also thinking of ways to get the puss in - he hasn't taken her for a check up in over 6 years.  :(

I really cannot fathom how these people think they could be trusted with a flea, let alone 2 vulnerable puppies.  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 16:37:03 PM »
They could try threatening him with the RSPCA quoting the Animal Welfare Bill - although in reality, that useless bunch wouldn't do anything.

I think the RSPCAs reputation has spread far and wide - I am reading a fiction book at the moment where a woman is telling her story and says her animal-loving mother dies and the RSPCA come along and PTS all her rescue animals  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 16:05:02 PM »
Obviously they cant understand prevention is better than cure and she shouldnt be in that state to start with  >:(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 15:54:13 PM »
Well, I have just about reached my limit with the human race!!  :brick:

The rescue lady has now told him I felt his cat's condition was not acceptable and this was the main reason his application to adopt the puppies was refused. Here is his response to the accusation...

Even though we understand that you will always have the dogs best interests at heart, would like to make a point on the subject of negligence.

Gizzie (the cat in question) has been in our home for 17 years and could be older. She is also incontinent both urinary & with faeces. Yes her fur is in a state, this has only occurred in the past months which also dose not help Gizzie is that she will lay underneath cars. As she is so old we fill that sedation to remove it her matted fur would kill her and would be like putting her down, which seem equally inhumane (unfair). As our neighbour at 39 would tell you, we have always taken care of all our animals’ money being no object.

If we felt she was suffering we would certainly consult our vets, at the moment she is happy eating drinking and spending time in the garden and with Stan our neighbour.

Have cared for our first dog Lurch I spent over £15,000 on him over ten year life

So the poor cat is even worse than I suspected.  :'( He will do nothing to try to make her life better or even let her be examined by a vet because he thinks at 17 she won't survive treatment. I'm absolutely  :censored: speechless!  :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 14:21:37 PM »
sadly true - she spent most of the time telling us about her catching mrsa while in hospital - although that said the conditions the cats lived in meant most homes would have been preferable in my opinion

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 14:18:58 PM »
Lucky you were providing a good home dawn because she wouldnt have noticed otherwise  :shocked:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 08:49:45 AM »
I agree Julie - the whole experience with them was not one I would repeat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 22:03:04 PM »
Well you can see my avatar for an example of duel-use when it comes to litter trays.  :evillaugh:

But to not know what a covered tray is intended for when you are supposed to be HCing for a pussy cat is quite frankly appalling!  >:(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 20:54:22 PM »
I have to admit that Miss gracie slept in a covered grit box with her own blankie as this was her safe spot behind her chair in our bedroom if visitors became to scarey

Now of course Blue sleeps in Miss Gracies box sometimes if we have the audacity to enter our own bedroom to go to sleep and he is on the bed!

We also have an extra large tray with pingpong balls in that everyone plays in!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 20:29:18 PM »
I think she was more doggie orientated - she saw the covered litter trays and said "is that where they sleep"!

Sorry but that's just not acceptable of the RSPCA to send someone like that on the home check. She obviously had no knowledge or understanding of the needs of a cat, so how can she judge where a cat would be well provided for?  :shify: Outrageous!  >:(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 16:19:20 PM »
I think she was more doggie orientated - she saw the covered litter trays and said "is that where they sleep"!

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 16:17:58 PM »
I can't understand not wanting your cats on your sofa! How strange.

I spent 3 weeks covering my sofa with treats to try to make Poppy understand that she could come up on the sofa! She has now finally got the point and is happy to use the facilities to full advantage.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 13:55:24 PM »
One secret to a successful HC is down to the qaulity of tea and biccies offered to the home checker. Happy Shopper Rich Tea isn't taking the process seriously but Thorntons Belgian Selection is perhaps trying a tad too much. Anything in-between is going to go down fine.  :evillaugh: ;)

I don't think i admitted this before, but i completely forgot to offer my homechecker a cuppa tea :shy: thankfuilly she still passed me. ;)

Well there you have it, proof positive that all we care about are the cats.  :) Not every home I've checked have offered tea and biccies but all the ones I passed showed a full appreciation of what being a good meowmy is all about.   ;)

I have had some strange bribes gifts during HCs though. One lady went to her garden and pulled up about 6 lbs weight of rhubard sticks and thrust them in my arms. I couldn't open the car door for fear of dropping them!  :rofl:

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 13:14:51 PM »
One secret to a successful HC is down to the qaulity of tea and biccies offered to the home checker. Happy Shopper Rich Tea isn't taking the process seriously but Thorntons Belgian Selection is perhaps trying a tad too much. Anything in-between is going to go down fine.  :evillaugh: ;)

I don't think i admitted this before, but i completely forgot to offer my homechecker a cuppa tea :shy: thankfuilly she still passed me. ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
when I had my rspca homecheck the lady who came round said she couldn't believe I let my cat sit on the sofa, hers wasn't allowed!

That's a bit like being a Publican who doesn't drink!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »
when I had my rspca homecheck the lady who came round said she couldn't believe I let my cat sit on the sofa, hers wasn't allowed!

Offline TheHappyHippy

• Adult Cat
  • Boo the forumming cat.
  • Slave to: Boo, Zed, Ing, Bunni, Eve, Pheonix and Booty
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
*plans emergency shopping trip to Thorntons, M&S and Hotel Chocolat*

;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »
HappyHippy, I wouldn't worry about the carpets. If anything I prefer a home to be a bit scruffy as I know pud won't get into bother by shedding fluff on the shagpile.  :)

But the more rescue work you do, the more the public's perception of pets amazes you. I've seen such great extremes both in good and bad treatment. To balance the mistreatment, I recently heard of a case where an adoptive home reported their new pud had come down with a poorly tummy. When I looked into it, pud had gone from a diet of regular supermarket biscuits and tinned meat while in rescue care to eating fresh prawns, salmon, premium grade minced stake and organic chicken fillets in its new home. Pud couldn't believe his luck and had gorged himself so much on rich food he was in danger of developing pussy cat gout.  :rofl:

Offline TheHappyHippy

• Adult Cat
  • Boo the forumming cat.
  • Slave to: Boo, Zed, Ing, Bunni, Eve, Pheonix and Booty
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »
OMG!!!!

As someone who is having their HC tonight, I'm worried the carpet won't have been hoovered for a day or two and the house and garden are untidy! :shy:

To read what a terrible condition that poor cat is in is heartbreaking. How on earth do they think they are suitable to home 2 active dogs?  :Crazy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
Yep, Old Mog can look a bit scruffy sometimes - I think she forgets to groom. Generally when I notice the brush comes out and we have a serious brushing session. :) The other three of ours are pretty good at making sure they look presentable!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »
Thanks, JS.  :hug:

I'm not so much upset as stunned, frankly. The lady that runs the rescue says she has oldie cats herself and understands as they get older, you have to help them with their grooming and keep an eye on things like organ function and teeth. She's as astonished as me that they have come back and think the fence is their only problem.  :Crazy:

The rescue lady knows their vet fairly well and the pair of them are thinking up an excuse to get the cat in for a routine check up. Perhaps a free consultation or something.  :sneaky: It seems the RSPCA have done nothing.  :tired:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 10:34:45 AM »
I read this yesterday, but was unable to think of a response! Mainly because I was pretty amazed that people who so blatantly didn't care about the animal they had thought they'd be suitable to take on more!

I'm really sorry you had to deal with that Julie, it must've been really upsetting. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
Best of luck with this Julie, well done so far  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 19:03:50 PM »
Well these people got their rejection. The rescue lady didn't want to rock the boat or put anything the RSPCA may be doing in jeopardy so the official reason for refusal was the inadequate fencing.  :innocent: That should have been that but the husband of this couple has now got back with a set of proposals for a new fencing system.  :doh:

The rescue lady then called their vet - who had recommended this rescue to them. The vet confirmed that neither of their cats had been seen for years. Heaven knows what state their teeth must be in!  >:( :(

Anyway, she called me to ask if it was okay to reveal my concerns about their cats. I said of course it was.  ;) Hopefully they will now see how neglectful they have been and DO something about it!  >:(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »
It wasn't a rescue I'd come across before, Beth, and my name was passed on by an internet pal as they were looking for someone this way to HC.  :shy: I had a chat or 2 before with the lady that runs it. She used to volunteer with another rescue but after going on holiday to Romania she saw the need for a group like this.  ;) But she's a smart cookie too and she told me she had reservations about this couple but wanted a home visit to confirm she wasn't getting paranoid. The pups weren't up for rehoming as a pair but the couple had asked for 2 so it was worth checking out if they could provide a good home as it would have freed up kennel space for the Romania side of the operation - Romania's record of dealing with street dogs is as exactly as you'd expect from what I see...  :'(

Oh i agree that homing two together (to a home willing to put in the hard work required) is far better than having both in kennels, i just wasn't sure if it was something which was allowed by rescues.

Thank goodness for home-checkers like you though! ;) :hug:

Beth, I do try not to get too involved in dog rescue as it's all so distressing and I can't do it all... suffice to say that this group (Romania Animal Aid) like Malcolm Cat in Cyprus is dealing with conditions and a workload that would make us here want to vomit.  :sick: I think they are not fussy about which type of dog, or how many you want to adopt at once (providing dogs are suitable to share homes) so long as the home is sound and well prepared and will be forever.  ;)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »
It wasn't a rescue I'd come across before, Beth, and my name was passed on by an internet pal as they were looking for someone this way to HC.  :shy: I had a chat or 2 before with the lady that runs it. She used to volunteer with another rescue but after going on holiday to Romania she saw the need for a group like this.  ;) But she's a smart cookie too and she told me she had reservations about this couple but wanted a home visit to confirm she wasn't getting paranoid. The pups weren't up for rehoming as a pair but the couple had asked for 2 so it was worth checking out if they could provide a good home as it would have freed up kennel space for the Romania side of the operation - Romania's record of dealing with street dogs is as exactly as you'd expect from what I see...  :'(

Oh i agree that homing two together (to a home willing to put in the hard work required) is far better than having both in kennels, i just wasn't sure if it was something which was allowed by rescues.

Thank goodness for home-checkers like you though! ;) :hug:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:11:21 AM »
I have a 15 year old bad tempered tabby, known affectionately in this house as the old man. He is semi long haired and dislikes being groomed, probably due to the arthritis in his spine.

It has taken me two months to tackle his matted fur, done bit by bit and although he looks a bit like a mohecian now, he is matt free, there is no excuse to let a cat get like this. The weight of the matts pulls on their skin and makes them very uncomfortable and sore.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »
That's so horrible. :( It makes me so angry seeing older animals neglected like that, after a lifetime of being a loyal pet is it really too much to ask for some pampering in their twilight years?  >:(

A bit OT but i'm quite surprised that a rescue would home two pups together, from what i've read and heard bringing up dogs of similar ages together can go spectacularly wrong. :scared:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
Well they do have the message now by the HC refusal, even if the RSPCA doesn't following through.  :sneaky: I did try as firmly as I could to make them understand puss was uncomfortable and they should do something, but without the powers the RSPCA has, it's all about my opinion over their's, isn't it?  :tired:

As some as said, would it be acceptable to leave a elderly person with matted hair, even if they did try to knock you block off when you approached with a brush?  :shify: No, of course not. Everyone and everything is entitled to a bit of comfort and dignity.  :)

But the nerve of these people thinking they would be viewed as caring, responsible owners and good enough to give two vulnerable puppies to! It was like the cat was invisible and didn't matter due to it's age!  :Crazy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:15:40 AM »
Fingers crossed the RSPCA do something.
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:10:01 AM »
people really do begger belief at times Julie don't they! 

Glad it was you that went out though to assess things and lets hope that poor wee cat gets some relief in her / his final years!  :(
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Link to CatChat